Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#1 Posted : 28 April 2021 21:46:16(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Anybody ever use these, they seem to be a great clean up solution.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Puttputtmaru
Offline phils2um  
#2 Posted : 28 April 2021 22:26:34(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
LGB has these type ferrules, No. 50131 Wire Terminals, that I use all the time. I've not used a designated crimper, just needle nose pliers. The crimper looks nice but the tool in the YT vid only does down to 23 awg. A quick Google shows similar crimpers that will work with wires down to 28 awg (with the appropriate ferrules). Think I might order one up. Thanks for the post.
Phil S.
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 28 April 2021 23:53:09(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Why is it easier to put the stranded wire into the connector instead of just putting it into the socket. Looking at the wire in the video before it goes into the connector just put it straight into whatever you want it to go.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 29 April 2021 00:14:01(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Why is it easier to put the stranded wire into the connector instead of just putting it into the socket. Looking at the wire in the video before it goes into the connector just put it straight into whatever you want it to go.

It is a lot easier if it is a connector that has a screw come down on the wire. Screwing down on a ferule gives a firmer connection because the wire cannot spread out under pressure from the screw,

It is also nicer if you are likely to have to under connections as the strands are still under control and not splayed from having been under a screw.

A wire with a ferrule on it is also a lot easier to get into the correct aperture on the connector without strands going everywhere, if things are having to be done at an awkward angle where you cannot see into the hole where you are trying to poke the wire.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline phils2um  
#5 Posted : 29 April 2021 06:16:47(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
Why is it easier to put the stranded wire into the connector instead of just putting it into the socket.

If you need to undo and redo connections the ferrules make handling stranded wire much easier. I used to solder the stripped wire ends (and still do in some situations) to keep the strands together. Putting on a ferrule is much faster and simpler.
Phil S.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by phils2um
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 29 April 2021 18:03:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: phils2um Go to Quoted Post
Why is it easier to put the stranded wire into the connector instead of just putting it into the socket.

If you need to undo and redo connections the ferrules make handling stranded wire much easier. I used to solder the stripped wire ends (and still do in some situations) to keep the strands together. Putting on a ferrule is much faster and simpler.

Solder is an absolute no-no in connections that get clamped down by a screw. The solder is soft and collapses after a while making the connection come loose.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Online PMPeter  
#7 Posted : 29 April 2021 21:27:43(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Solder is an absolute no-no in connections that get clamped down by a screw. The solder is soft and collapses after a while making the connection come loose.

I solder all of my wire ends and have done so for over 30 years. I have yet to lose a single wire from a connection point, plug, or socket due to soldering. On the other hand I cannot say the same for when I was lazy and occasionally inserted a stranded wire into a plug or terminal. Quite often it breaks at the connection point and I end up pulling broken strands out of the plug or terminal.

While I agree that solder is soft and could cause problems if the screw down connection is done at the tip of the wire, it is unlikely to come loose if the wire is inserted properly to its proper depth and then screwed down tightly. This obviously is also the conclusion reached by many of the manufacturers who supply their parts and accessories with soldered wire ends intended for screw down terminals, plugs or connectors.

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter