Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline eduard71  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2021 17:42:53(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Hi,

I have seen in some of my mfx locomotives that some functions like telex are not controled by and AUX 1-4 output but actually they are controlled by a sound function. In some reading I have made they talk about SUSI aux output control.

I would like to know how SUSI works and also how to manage fuctions controlled by a sound(SUSI) instead of an AUX.

Regards

Eduardo

Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 23 April 2021 18:08:44(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Eduardo
I may be wrong but many recent märklin Telex locos have the Telex combined with a sound.
The Telex is driven by one the AUX (1 to 4) functions.
Using a CS2 or CS3 you may combine the Telex function with any sound already recorded in the decoder
In the example from a CS2 below, AUX1 (lower the coal level in tender on a 39008) is combined with sound 16
Lok Konfiguration BR 01 138 CV-Funktion Edit-F8.png

SUSI means Serial User Standard Interface and allows some early decoders to drive sound modules (in the earlier decoders sound was not included but separate).
Cheers
Jean
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2021 18:37:25(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: eduard71 Go to Quoted Post
I would like to know how SUSI works and also how to manage fuctions controlled by a sound(SUSI) instead of an AUX.
Märklin decoders treat sound functions and SUSI functions the same.
Usually there is no fine control for SUSI functions, like dimming of lights.
I'm not sure if the sound module of Märklin sound decoders is actually controlled by SUSI, but it may be. When creating sound projects for locos with physical SUSI outputs, make sure not to use the "sound slots" that share the number with physical outputs.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 23 April 2021 19:42:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
SUSI is also used for control of the Marklin buffer capacitor. The SUSI interface is the 4 pin connector on the 21 pin motherboard that the buffer capacitor plugs into.

All locos with mfx decoders and C-Sine or Soft-sine motors use the SUSI interface to control the motor. ESU give specific instructions for setting their decoders up to do this. I imagine the Marklin decoders do this automatically when a c-Sine motor is specified.

Up to three SUSI modules can be connected to a single decoder.

The actions of a SUSI device are controlled by a specific set of CVs that reside in the device, not the decoder. These CVs are (mostly) in the 900 range and will be recognised and reported by the decoder during reading and programming. This DCCWiki entry on SUSI will give you a lot of the detail and a link to the NMRA standard which is a translation of the original German document. Between that page and the NMRA document you can fine out more than you ever wanted to know about SUSI.

Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 23 April 2021 20:12:00(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
All locos with mfx decoders and C-Sine or Soft-sine motors use the SUSI interface to control the motor.
AFAIK it is some, but not all locos with C-Sine motor. This adds to the confusion.
AFAIK those that require AUX4 to be always on are those that do not use SUSI.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage