Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Online marklinist5999  
#1 Posted : 18 April 2021 13:34:10(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Hi all, I aquired this loc back in the early new millenium at a substantial discount of $348 US. The original price was $438. It was in a shops display case brand new. I think someone ordered it, and was disapointed with the lame whistle and declined their purchase. This was not a Marklin shop, nor a European model store, just a regular American type hobby shop with American models, RC, kits, etc. It was a small chain of stores which all closed during the recession. So, if I want to upgrade it's decoder to a 60977 with full mfx sound, will I need resistors for the led lights? I do have a multimeter. I have never done this before though. I know I will need a heat sink, wire shrink tube, etc. I sure don't want to toast a $90 to $100 decoder. I presume I wil have to gut the old one and start new. It has the small non dip switch Loksound or Uhlenbrock decoder, and classic 5 pole h.e. motor. It also has cab lighting. Both cab lights activate together. With a new 60977, will I be able to make them switch on seperately?
It's a robust heavy model worthy of the upgrade.
If successful, in the future, I might consider the same for my 37352 br 152 museum loc, and Starlight Express br 101. I don't know if I can use this same decoder 60977 for a C sine equipped Taurus, or the first br 103 with a C sine- single row of vents, no piezo pantographs. These have a large board decoder with integral control for the motors.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 18 April 2021 14:28:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Is 35737 the correct model number? The 35xx series had 5 pole motors and I didn't think they had sound at all.

if it is a 37xxx model, then I would suggest taking the body off and sharing a photo of the internals.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline bph  
#3 Posted : 18 April 2021 15:45:11(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all, I aquired this loc back in the early new millenium at a substantial discount of $348 US. The original price was $438. It was in a shops display case brand new. I think someone ordered it, and was disapointed with the lame whistle and declined their purchase. This was not a Marklin shop, nor a European model store, just a regular American type hobby shop with American models, RC, kits, etc. It was a small chain of stores which all closed during the recession. So, if I want to upgrade it's decoder to a 60977 with full mfx sound, will I need resistors for the led lights? I do have a multimeter. I have never done this before though. I know I will need a heat sink, wire shrink tube, etc. I sure don't want to toast a $90 to $100 decoder. I presume I wil have to gut the old one and start new. It has the small non dip switch Loksound or Uhlenbrock decoder, and classic 5 pole h.e. motor. It also has cab lighting. Both cab lights activate together. With a new 60977, will I be able to make them switch on seperately?
It's a robust heavy model worthy of the upgrade.
If successful, in the future, I might consider the same for my 37352 br 152 museum loc, and Starlight Express br 101. I don't know if I can use this same decoder 60977 for a C sine equipped Taurus, or the first br 103 with a C sine- single row of vents, no piezo pantographs. These have a large board decoder with integral control for the motors.

Hi
I assuming you are talking about 37537?

If you are, it should be quite doable.
And you need to remove the old electronics, probably the original speaker as well, since it's probably a 100 ohm speaker. but check it. 60977 works with 8 and 4 ohm. suggest using the speaker included with the new decoder or get a new 8 ohm round speaker that fits in the original position.
you can keep the original motor.
not sure a bot the lights, but assume you have to install resistors if there are none on the led boards. Others are more skilled with this than me, but I have used resistors around 1,3k ohm. if in doubt post pictures of it here.
you should be able to switch on the cab lights separately. eg using aux 3 and 4. some function mapping or programming might be required.

Upgrading locomotives with the original C-sine motor are a bit more complicated, as they require a dedicated driver board. Here is one solution: https://www.rail4you.ch/remotorisierung/dsm-2-0-der-treiber
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Online marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 18 April 2021 16:37:48(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, talk about type-o's. 37537 is correct.
Online marklinist5999  
#5 Posted : 18 April 2021 17:05:10(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   

I'm still on the fence about it. I'm eccentric, and senimental about some things. Leaving it "stock" does represent the innovation in sound chp advances since then comparing it to newer models we have.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 18 April 2021 17:29:09(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

I'm still on the fence about it. I'm eccentric, and senimental about some things. Leaving it "stock" does represent the innovation in sound chp advances since then comparing it to newer models we have.

Right, a loco that old will not be a 'plug and play' fitting, the decoder will be hard wired in, so will require some soldering. I think it will be too early to be an ESU decoder, they didn't come until mfx was available and the product page linked above only talks about a 6021 controller. So on that basis the decoder probably has DIP switches to set the address - is this correct? The manual should tell you. In this case it will be a 60901 or 60902 decoder.

Online marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 18 April 2021 18:35:11(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
No dip switches Alan. You have to use a 6021 or Intellibox to set a different address.
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 18 April 2021 18:52:00(UTC)
H0

The loco 37537 has an eight-pin NEM decoder socket and swapping the decoder is plug'n'play - you only have to cut the wire to the sound module which you will remove anyway when installing a sound decoder.
On my loco I bridged the lights in cab 2 so I can only turn on the light in cab 1 where I installed a loco driver and removed the coupler.

60977 has an 21MTC socket and will require replacing the current board. I think I'd use a decoder with 8-pin NEM plug.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline bph  
#9 Posted : 18 April 2021 19:01:03(UTC)
bph

Norway   

That quite understandable. However, there might be an alternative. If you can find a 3rd part pcb, you can do the upgrade more "professionally". Eg luessi.ch is one maker.

and sometimes a PCB may fit in several locomotives even if not listed. E.G. if you go that route his PCB might be worth checking out:https://luessi.ch/eshop/oc/decoder-pcbs?product_id=2440

I did one project with a 3rd party PCB, and it worked quite well. Would not have done it without that PCB.
Online marklinist5999  
#10 Posted : 18 April 2021 19:21:09(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thank's all for the replies! Great to know the options.
Online marklinist5999  
#11 Posted : 18 April 2021 19:54:34(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   

I once again removed the body shell. It appears to have an 8 pin harness and connector. I looked at the 60977 decoder instructions pdf. It doesn't explain which pins connect where, or is that a given by just plugging it in that the correct wires and pins line up? There also looks like more than one wire to the sound decoder to be removed. Will I need to use one of the speakers with the new decoder if I do the plug and play upgrade with changing the pcb board. It has resistors for the led's on it. The instructions say that resistors are absolutely needed if the loco has led' lights.
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 18 April 2021 20:08:47(UTC)
H0

The board that comes with the 60977 decoder has no resistors for the LEDs on it. It can also be used for locos with light bulbs.

Why not get a decoder with 8-pin plug and use the existing board? A new speaker is needed.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 19 April 2021 00:11:59(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

I once again removed the body shell. It appears to have an 8 pin harness and connector. I looked at the 60977 decoder instructions pdf. It doesn't explain which pins connect where, or is that a given by just plugging it in that the correct wires and pins line up? There also looks like more than one wire to the sound decoder to be removed. Will I need to use one of the speakers with the new decoder if I do the plug and play upgrade with changing the pcb board. It has resistors for the led's on it. The instructions say that resistors are absolutely needed if the loco has led' lights.

With an 8 pin plug, instead of a 60977 you would be better off with a 60987 which comes with a plug.
You will still need to get an appropriate speaker to fit the enclosure.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Online marklinist5999  
#14 Posted : 19 April 2021 01:01:44(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Alan, the 60987 comes with two different speakers. One thicker cube, one thinner. I will see if one can fit. The existing decoder looks about equal size. There is room next to it beneath the pcb board.
Offline bph  
#15 Posted : 19 April 2021 23:13:45(UTC)
bph

Norway   

if you want to keep the original pcb, you might find some useful information here: http://www.web-hgh.de/p02_ma_37537-8_u.htm Obviously not all is relevant. some more here: http://www.web-hgh.de/p03_maedig_6090x-pic-ue_37537-8.htm.
Interestingly it states that the locomotive is fitted with a LOPI decoder. so it's an ESU Lokpilot I, but it's restricted. Since it also may have the Decoder Alzheimer's Effect, it's a sensible choice to upgrade the decoder.
Read more about the decoder her:https://moba-hgh.de/index.php/modellbahn/digital/decoder-fuer/fuer-lokomotiven/maerklin/pic/122-standard/77:00000-maerklin-decoder-familie-uebergangs-decoder
Online marklinist5999  
#16 Posted : 20 April 2021 01:41:07(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Than you bph! I ran it today. It really runs well, and is a heavy hauler. No effort towing 7 of my Helvetia, Rheinfel, and Sudwind restaurant cars.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
bph