Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H5463  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2021 14:08:41(UTC)
H5463

United States   
Looking for grease to oil the engine for the first time. It seems Trix 66626 is not good enough. Any suggestion? Thanks!

By the way, when is the best timing to oil? The introduction says every 40 hours of running. But some advise half year to avoid oiling too much.

Also, any suggestion of tools to open the loco without damaging the car cast?

Appreciated.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2021 14:22:43(UTC)
H0

I use Fleischmann oil and Roco grease.

If you lubricate the loco, run it for one hour and store it for one year, then consider lubricating it again the next time you run it.

Worm drives make no sound when they run dry, so better inspect too often to avoid damages. Do not lube if you still see sufficient grease.

Originally Posted by: H5463 Go to Quoted Post
Which loco? Which gauge?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline hxmiesa  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2021 14:24:12(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Looking for grease to oil the engine for the first time. It seems Trix 66626 is not good enough. Any suggestion? Thanks!
By the way, when is the best timing to oil? The introduction says every 40 hours of running. But some advise half year to avoid oiling too much.

WHAT loco exactly do you want to open??? Each loco has its own story.

About oiling; Locos with worm-drives or gears of plastic needs "teflon-grease" or the likes, instead of oil.

About the interval; I don't use a specific plan (my bad), but rather oil on a hunch, and audio-visual hints from the actual running.
I tend to over-oil, as a lot of my engines are quite old and used, so later I have to go around scraping gunk off my wheels. Glare

Don't oil the outside running-gears (rods) on the steamers. Don´t oil brushes and coals. Don´t oil point-mechanisms.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 01 April 2021 16:08:46(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Looking for grease to oil the engine for the first time. It seems Trix 66626 is not good enough.

What do you mean "not good enough" ?

Trix 66626 is not an oil, it is a grease for putting on worm gears and related areas.

Marklin has an oil, as does Faller and a number of other manufacturers, but any light oil like sewing machine oil will be suitable for oiling an armature or axles.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline H5463  
#5 Posted : 01 April 2021 16:10:13(UTC)
H5463

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I use Fleischmann oil and Roco grease.

If you lubricate the loco, run it for one hour and store it for one year, then consider lubricating it again the next time you run it.

Worm drives make no sound when they run dry, so better inspect too often to avoid damages. Do not lube if you still see sufficient grease.

Which loco? Which gauge?

Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post

WHAT loco exactly do you want to open??? Each loco has its own story.

About oiling; Locos with worm-drives or gears of plastic needs "teflon-grease" or the likes, instead of oil.

About the interval; I don't use a specific plan (my bad), but rather oil on a hunch, and audio-visual hints from the actual running.
I tend to over-oil, as a lot of my engines are quite old and used, so later I have to go around scraping gunk off my wheels. Glare

Don't oil the outside running-gears (rods) on the steamers. Don´t oil brushes and coals. Don´t oil point-mechanisms.

I got Marklin and Roco H0 engines. Just purchased them for several months. I didn't run them more than 30 minutes a day. Should I worry about grease now? I don't know locos having their ways to open! I thought they are the same. Thanks for enlightening:)
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 01 April 2021 16:31:58(UTC)
H0

I didn't run them more than 30 minutes a day. Should I worry about grease now?
AFAIK Roco locos should be lubed before first use. Märklin rolling stock should be lubed before first use.
Märklin locos tend to be extreme: dry as a bone or over-oiled and crying for degreasing. Better to check them if you are not sure.

I don't know locos having their ways to open! I thought they are the same.
Some have screw(s) at the bottom, some have screw(s) on top, some are clipped on, some are held by the buffers. Useful tricks to open them vary by model.
In rare cases the Märklin manual tells you the body is clipped on while it actually is held by a screw (certain models of BR 185.2).

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline dickinsonj  
#7 Posted : 01 April 2021 18:37:40(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Märklin locos tend to be extreme: dry as a bone or over-oiled and crying for degreasing. Better to check them if you are not sure.

Good advice. I have opened new Märklin locos with no grease on the worm gears, excess grease and in one case one dry worm gear and one which was heavily lubricated. So, I now check them all out before running because you never know exactly what you will find.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 01 April 2021 18:50:45(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Hetman by Musikworks in South River N.J. makes different viscosity clear synthetic olubricants. I got it on Amazon. I chose the medium bearing and linkage grade. It's great!
You don't need much, and it doesn't gob up and catch dirt. I got it for my grandfather clock, but use it on my locomotives too.
These are also used in musical instruments for the wind key's, and moving parts.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline bph  
#9 Posted : 02 April 2021 19:37:39(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Looking for grease to oil the engine for the first time. It seems Trix 66626 is not good enough.

What do you mean "not good enough" ?

Trix 66626 is not an oil, it is a grease for putting on worm gears and related areas.

I would say that the Trix 66626 is good enough, but of course, there might be better alternatives.
It's nothing special about it, it's a very common industrial grease. (And overpriced)

The "Trix" grease are designed for:
Heavy duty bearings and general industrial lubrication. ·
Heavy duty plain and rolling element bearings operating
under harsh conditions including shock loading in wet
environments.

The maker states:
Outstanding Load Carrying Capacity
Improved Mechanical Stability
Oxidation Stability
Operating temperature range -20 0 C to +130 0 C.

And I assume Marklin has tested it to make sure it's safe to use with their plastic.

What you should be aware of is that if you change the grease type, and mix two types, you might get a chemical reaction. E.G it might harden.
So before you change to a different type of grease, make sure they are compatible or clan the gears completly.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline cookee_nz  
#10 Posted : 02 April 2021 20:10:34(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi "H5463" (can we have a name/nickname?, always more comfortable) BigGrin

Most (all actually) Loco's come with a booklet or sheet which should show the method of opening it, and the recommended lubrication points.

If you have any Locos without this, just ask here, someone else will surely have it and can post it up so you can print off if you wish and keep on file.

HTH

Steve / Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline tonyfh  
#11 Posted : 03 April 2021 10:12:53(UTC)
tonyfh

Hello H5463,

My experience with lubricants:

Faller oil, I stay away from this, maybe they changed the formula because my experience is from several years ago but after storage (a year or so) my locos are stuck completely.

Märklin oil, no problems with that apart from the thick applicatornozzle that is a bit difficult to use in tight locations.

LGB oil, no problems, has a great thin applicator nozzle (already several years old so it may have changed now)

But for a US based person, why not use Labelle 108? it has a great thin applicator nozzle and works like a dream.

For grease, I don't have any experience with that because I mostly have old locos and don't run my modern ones very often, but why not use Labelle 106, it contains PTFE and is plastic compatible.

About the Labelle products, https://labelle-lubricants.com, it seems Model Railroader readers had good experience with them and they should be widely available in the US.

And about opening locos, as noted before, the best way to find out is reading the manual, they all open up different ways.
But most Märklins open up after removing one or more screws, sorry no experience with Roco locos .

Good luck with your maintenance work.

Tony.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by tonyfh
Offline MalinAC  
#12 Posted : 03 April 2021 12:47:15(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
I always use Labelle products and never had any problems with them Cool Cool
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by MalinAC
Offline H5463  
#13 Posted : 04 April 2021 04:28:20(UTC)
H5463

United States   
Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions!

Edited by user 14 May 2021 14:40:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 04 April 2021 07:02:17(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I have Marklin 36244 (BR 24), 26983(BR 112) and Roco 79817 (BLS 174).

36244 Manual here See pages 32 and 33

26983 Manual here See pages 24 - 29

No idea about the Roco manual, check the box it came in.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz