Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2021 00:34:49(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Ok I have been studying Rocrail for a while now and like the way it works but for one problem internet connection.

My layout will be in a double garage which will be very inconvenient to hard wire for an internet connection AND WiFi seem to be on and off very often which is a downer.Cursing

So I am looking at iTrain as an alternative. I do not want to spend a lot of time again and find that iTrain will have the same problem for me.

Does iTrain need to be connected with the internet to work or can it stand on it’s own?

Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2021 02:48:12(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
You don't really need an Internet connection per se, you need a reliable connection on your home network. The only time RocRail connects to the Internet is when you download the latest version of the software.

However, I understand what you are saying about using WiFi. I had the same dilemma. I found WiFi would occasionally miss a sensor communication and then the whole thing would come to a crashing result. I ended up buying an ethernet switch from which I could run a CAT5 cable to my nearest ethernet outlet and then I could plug the CS2 and the laptop into the switch locally at the model railroad. I'm not sure where your closest ethernet outlet would be, but as long as you can get a CAT5 cable to reach it, that would get you out of the WiFi dilemma.

I tried various different software programs before I settled on RocRail and they all required a network connection.
Offline Thewolf  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2021 05:04:24(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Puttputtmaru Go to Quoted Post
Ok I have been studying Rocrail for a while now and like the way it works but for one problem internet connection.

My layout will be in a double garage which will be very inconvenient to hard wire for an internet connection AND WiFi seem to be on and off very often which is a downer.Cursing

So I am looking at iTrain as an alternative. I do not want to spend a lot of time again and find that iTrain will have the same problem for me.

Does iTrain need to be connected with the internet to work or can it stand on it’s own?

Hi PuttputtmaruCool

I am an Itrain user since 2012.

What suggests that Itrain needs to connect to the internet to work is the use of the RJ45 ethernet cable that is connected between the csII, csIII or Ecos console and the computer where the Itrain program is stored.

As Peter (PMPeter) wrote about RocRail, Itrain only needs the internet for updates or to download the software when it has been purchased.

Unlike RocRail which has the advantage of being free, I believe, Itrain is not free but its various prices are democratic if you compare its prices with those of Train Controller which is, for some, the top.

Have a nice day

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#4 Posted : 01 April 2021 14:11:00(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Thanks for the reply guys.

I will manage to find a happy compromise but this dilemma has had the advantage to make me discover iTrain which to the way my brain works seems to be more new user friendly at least with a manual that is up to date. With Rocrail the wiki manual seems not to have had a look aver for a while.
Also being a Mac user iTrain seem to be geared from the start more for it.

Not knocking down Rocrail as many here are using it and are happy with it, as I said iTrain seems to suit me better for now.