Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2021 15:47:38(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Excuse my naivety! Cleared all loks and rolling stock from my layout for some essential maintenance which went fine and everything returned. One small problem a 216 diesel bought from Joes about ten or more years ago extracted from a start set so cant tell you the number but its a fairly basic digital with switches etc and just lights as a function. Never been any trouble (or maintained) but on return it does stop and start of its own accord. I am thinking maybe a drop of oil or perhaps the graphite things need replacing but before I start any ideas as my basic maintenance usually ends up with loks in the ugly box never to be seen again. NB I have worked out how to take the top off!
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 19 March 2021 15:52:59(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
Never been any trouble (or maintained) but on return it does stop and start of its own accord.
Sounds like a decoder problem if it starts when it should stop. A drop of oil or new motor brushes won't do any good.
If it stops when it should run, then there is a contact problem. If lights are still on, then it could be problem with the brushes.
If the lights are out, then there rather is a problem with the wheels or the centre-rail slider.

Are there other new locos on the layout? Maybe interference from another loco.
Any other changes? New controller? Updated controller?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Rwill  
#3 Posted : 19 March 2021 18:29:27(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Thank you Tom for your rapid and useful response - as usual!. So I did not mention that the major project was caused by the arrival of my new CS3. So I searched the database and found another Br216 from a start set changed the address to one of the four that came with my original digital controller and away we go seems to be working fine. We even "discovered" that we have two whistles that I don't remember from before! So far I find my CS3 to be great but we haven't got to the clever stuff yet!