Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PeFu  
#1 Posted : 15 March 2021 17:52:11(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
I just took my new Re 4/4I (Märklin 39422) out from the box, and noted how great it looks together with Trans Euro Nacht (TEN) coaches (Märklin 4182 on the pic beliw). As I tend to be less and less ”Era Focused”, I run a big span of models that couldn’t be justified by having a local Train Museum on the layout. I simply don’t care!

BigGrin

However, I’m anyway a bit curious on how far this setup is from a realistic prototype, in years. According to the Märklin website, the Re 4/4I model ”looks as it did around 1957-59”. However, I find it more difficult to find information about the TEN network history compared to google e.g. on the more legendary (?) Trans Europ Express (TEE). Maybe Kraftwerk have contributed to this?

So, would anyone know e.g. when these TEN coaches were introduced for having this livery on the prototype?

Smile

E6591390-BBD0-46CC-8E12-CF698BF03F31.jpeg

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Online Unholz  
#2 Posted : 15 March 2021 18:47:10(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
The European TEN sleeping car pool was introduced in the year 1971, so it's most unlikey that the real blue Re 4/4 I 409 ever encountered such a car. But do as you like, model railroading should be fun. BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline PeFu  
#3 Posted : 15 March 2021 19:46:30(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
The European TEN sleeping car pool was introduced in the year 1971, so it's most unlikey that the real blue Re 4/4 I 409 ever encountered such a car. But do as you like, model railroading should be fun. BigGrin

Was there only one Re 4/4I in blue livery? In case, what’s the story behind this?

Confused
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Online Unholz  
#4 Posted : 15 March 2021 21:25:31(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post

Was there only one Re 4/4I in blue livery? In case, what’s the story behind this?
Confused

Yes, only the one unit reproduced as a model by Märklin (plus a second unit in a light green). The story was probably a simple "how-would-this-look-for-a-change?" experiment, similar to those we see nowadays when a new CEO/locomotive chief/head designer enters a company and wants to leave a scent mark like a dog at a tree... BigGrin
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 16 March 2021 19:32:36(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I found this photo of the blue 409 in use in the late 1950s: https://www.eurovapor.ch...mp;type=orig&id=2905

It shows the loco in use with SBB lightsteel coaches. The markings on these coaches correspond to the 43362/72/82/92/42402.
Maerklin does not, as I have stated, have a pilot coach for that time frame.

As far as fantasy options, I came up with a few possibilities:

1) Rheingold 1928 coaches. This loco would probably match the colors of the classic Rheingold consist

2) CIWL consist (LS Models, Rivarossi, etc)()

3) Rheingold 1962 coaches. This loco would probably match the colours of the Rheingold consist introduced in 1962, prior to inheriting the red/beige TEE colors.

4) Piko or Liliput or Lima NPZ coaches. The white and blue with yellow doors NPZ coaches were many years after the blue period of this loco, but the colours are probably a match

5) Maerklin, Fleischmann or Sachsenmodelle S-Bahn Zurich coaches. Another pure fantasy in similar colors.

6) City Night Line (CNL) coaches from Heris, LS Models, ACME, etc (Once again, just because of the colors)

7) NightJet (NJ) coaches by LS Models/ACME/Roco (Similar colors)

Your idea about using TEN Sleepers, Eurofima couchette (4168/4268) and even maybe the NS 42696 couchette also works based on the colors.

As far as Stefan's comment, I would think that by the late 1950s, there probably were questions as to whether railways needed to keep the olive green colours or whether they could explore other colours. In Germany, the blue/beige livery for the prestige Rheingold and red/beige for TEE trains throughout Europe, the Treno Azzuro in Italy and others are examples.

Whatever you choose, as long as you like it, is your option. We used to have a 3013 NS 1100 with CIWL coaches (1950s Maerklin) and called it the Blue Train when were were young.
That was my preferred color but the green train RET 800/3014 plus the coach with opening doors was so much cooler!) I later found out that it was Swiss and that reinforced my attraction to Swiss trains. My youngest brother had no problem adopting the blue one as his train.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c