Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline orionstars  
#1 Posted : 24 February 2021 20:52:34(UTC)
orionstars

United States   
We received a letter yesterday for our renewal of the kids club with the caveat that the magazine will only be published in German from now on. It’s certainly a disappointment. The kids are looking at a couple of German issues we received this past year and trying to figure if they really want it (no they don’t speak German!). If it still comes with paper buildings/model kits - maybe.

Oh well. We only signed them up last year. Maybe we were the only ones!!
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 24 February 2021 21:28:45(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
How about turning this into an opportunity?

I learnt my first German from reading Märklin catalogs....

Turn it into a learning opportunity, use google translate for the bits you don't understand and everyone involved will start learning German.

Learning a language goes fastest when there is a 'knowledge gap' i.e. you are trying to find out something and the gap can only be bridged by decoding the text....

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Online xxup  
#3 Posted : 24 February 2021 21:50:41(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
When I was a wee lad, the only comic books in the school library were French editions of Asterix and Obelix! Armed with a French-English dictionary and lots of patience, I worked my way through all the ones they had in the library (which was 10 at the time). Of course, there was no Google or any form of computer in those days. This placed me well ahead of the other guys a four or five years later, when we finally took up French for two years.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline orionstars  
#4 Posted : 24 February 2021 22:48:59(UTC)
orionstars

United States   
Thanks you two for the great replies.

This is when I rethink the decision we made sending the kids to Montessori instead of German Immersion school! (Both were lottery based and amazingly they won seats in both!). Well trains and my horological books!!

It’s amazing that this hasn’t occurred to me. I did the same as a kid and now as a stay at home dad these are the sort of ideas I have us do frequently. This year has certainly sucked the juice out of my brain it seems!

I think I will do this. Both are learning Spanish and my older in also learning sign language. This would be a fun thing to add on. (Especially since they each have their own favorite parts of the hobby.)

Thanks for the reminder of creativity!
Pete
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by orionstars
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 24 February 2021 23:01:18(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
cool!
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Tom Jessop  
#6 Posted : 24 February 2021 23:33:34(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Down here in Oz we have a multi language TV channel which shows each country's news in the morning from about 0500 till 1200 for about 30 minutes , we mainly watch the European presentations while having breakfast & after a while it is amazing what our mind can pick up from what you were taught at school over 50 years ago . I was taught French & Latin for 1 year before changing schools & found that I can understand quite a lot of French along with some technical German having been a telephone technician working with different suppliers in that industry even to the point of having to converse with engineers in Germany over some of their equipment when we had a problem with a new installation .

Never to old to learn ,it just takes a bit longer .

Cheers Tom in Oz .
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline Dimi194  
#7 Posted : 25 February 2021 10:40:47(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Originally Posted by: orionstars Go to Quoted Post
We received a letter yesterday for our renewal of the kids club with the caveat that the magazine will only be published in German from now on. It’s certainly a disappointment. The kids are looking at a couple of German issues we received this past year and trying to figure if they really want it (no they don’t speak German!). If it still comes with paper buildings/model kits - maybe.

Oh well. We only signed them up last year. Maybe we were the only ones!!

I'm still a member of it (why not :P) and have used the photo function of Google Translate to get through the technical articles! Sometimes the jokes don't come across properly though...

Loved the cardboard models as a kid - I don't build them now but it's a really good way to get buildings etc for a layout for cheap!
Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
Avid YouTuber (XtremeTrainz and TrainzXtreme) and train person!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Dimi194