Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Komm  
#1 Posted : 27 January 2021 20:07:30(UTC)
Komm

Hello!
I am new on this forum :) I played with a Marklin 37866 and a mobile station when I was a kid. Having grown up, I would to build a very simple layout consisting of just one track and the 37866 going back and forth continuously.
I have seen on this forum that this is called a "shuttle" function, but it seems that it is only possible with Central Stations (1, 2 or 3). Is there a cheaper way to do it with a digital loco? I'm not too keen on spending €600+ just for such a simple layout BigGrin
Thank you!
PS: I could be fine with an analog solution as well. I also have a 6647 transformer (which is compatible with digital locos if I'm right), and given the simplicity of my layout, digital maybe overkill.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Komm
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2021 01:20:42(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
Welcome to the forum!

On top of a CS2/CS3, you would also need a feedback module to keep track of the movements of the loco. That's close to another 100 euros or so.

For pure analog, Märklin used to have a control box 6600 that can implement shuttle operations. Unfortunately, I believe it would cause instant death to digital locomotives.

In your situation, I got myself various bits and pieces from a firm called CAN Digital Bahn. With these, I can connect my digital connection box 60113 to a computer and run train control software on it to implement shuttle operation (and much more). Minimally, this takes the PC interface box, a feedback box, and a CAN bus connection + power supply box. The total cost is less than half of the CS2/CS3 approach.

Of course, other companies provide similar solutions. I can only report on my own experience.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline PeFu  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2021 07:30:26(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
An alternative is to look for a 2nd hand Märklin 6021/6051 combo on e.g. eBay.de and control everything from your PC. As Martti suggest, you will also need a S88 feedback module, like a Märklin 6088 or Littfinski RM-88-N. Also these can be found pretty cheap on eBay.de. However, if you are using Märklin M tracks and not C or K tracks, you may need a bit different solution.
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline hxmiesa  
#4 Posted : 28 January 2021 08:37:50(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Can this be used?
https://shop.md-electron...erator-fuer-alle-decoder

Even if the above is not suitable (just a quick search on Google), I know that there exist various other "modules" for doing simple shuttle control on a digital layout, without having to invest in other bits and parts.
The Märklin Magazine used to show and test them in the 80´ies and 90´ies...

PS: The above unit seems to work in DCC mode only.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Michael4  
#5 Posted : 28 January 2021 10:47:10(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
The analogue (I use the word loosely) solution is to use the 6600 controller which has a shuttle function plus delay, controlled acceleration etc etc. It is not expensive and is very easy to set up.

HOWEVER...I understand that it may not be compatible with digital locos.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline hxmiesa  
#6 Posted : 28 January 2021 11:30:46(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
The analogue (I use the word loosely) solution is to use the 6600 controller which has a shuttle function plus delay, controlled acceleration etc etc. It is not expensive and is very easy to set up.

Right!
The 6600 doesnt even work with 5* analogue Märklin loks, nor with my ROCO-Fleischmann-Liliput lokos factory-prepared (no decoder) for analogue AC operation!
ONLY works with good old allstrom-motorized loks with no additional electronoics on board.

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Michael4  
#7 Posted : 28 January 2021 12:31:55(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post

Right!
The 6600 doesnt even work with 5* analogue Märklin loks, nor with my ROCO-Fleischmann-Liliput lokos factory-prepared (no decoder) for analogue AC operation!
ONLY works with good old allstrom-motorized loks with no additional electronoics on board.

The newest locos I have are 3151 and 3352 anything after those is a mystery to me!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline Komm  
#8 Posted : 30 January 2021 23:10:41(UTC)
Komm

Hi everyone,
Thank you very much for all of your very kind answers. Unfortunately the 6600 isn't an option since my loco would be digital… 
However, an old digital interface + computer is definitely an option. I never used a computer to control my trains, do you have a preferred place to learn about this? I'll do some research :)
Thank you immensely for your help!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Komm
Offline Danlake  
#9 Posted : 31 January 2021 02:03:47(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi there,

To get a feel of the overall concept of PC software running your layout have a look at Rudy’s videos:

E.g. watch videos 02 to 10 to get you an idea:

https://rudysmodelrailwa.../traincontroller/page/6/

This specific software is not the cheapest but all software uses the same concepts.

The cheapest solutions I have seen is probably Railuino and a mobile station:

https://www.marklin-user...ommand-station--Railuino

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#10 Posted : 31 January 2021 19:00:01(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
These Youtube tutorials explain the CAN Digital Bahn approach fairly well:

https://www.youtube.com/...can+digital+bahn+rocrail

It uses the (nearly) free software called Rocrail that is quite popular within the membership of this forum.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline Komm  
#11 Posted : 02 February 2021 10:11:46(UTC)
Komm

Thank you everyone for your answer. I will dig into all this and try to set it up digitally.