Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline artfull dodger  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2021 20:42:37(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Is it a SFCM or a LFCM? I want to upgrade it to a 5 pole DCM to run smoother, quieter and behave better on digital control. It has the M decoder that works with the original field wound motor, and while that makes her run on digital, the slow speed running is typicaly poor from the old 3 pole motor along with typical motor noise those have. My little starter set V160 is so much quieter and smoother at slow speeds. Just need to know which motor, I think its a SFCM, so I can order the upgrade kit from AJCkids. Thanks Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline artfull dodger  
#2 Posted : 23 January 2021 07:35:58(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I figured it out, she has a SFCM.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 23 January 2021 09:33:19(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: artfull dodger Go to Quoted Post
Is it a SFCM or a LFCM? I want to upgrade it to a 5 pole DCM.......

Yer what???

That would require major engineering works in changing the motor mounting from the SFCM motor to the DCM motor.

I think you meant to say you want to convert the SFCM AC motor to a SFCM DC motor, which is what those kits do.

Marklin 60941 - High-Efficiency Motor Conversion Set DCM

Marklin 60943 - High-Efficiency Motor Conversion Set SFCM

Marklin 60944 - High-Efficiency Motor Conversion Set LFCM

To find out what type of motor a particular loco has, you can generally check Helmut Kern's website

http://bahn.hfkern.de/Maerklin/Menue.html

I say generally, because he doesn't list motor types for the F7.
Offline ktsolias  
#4 Posted : 23 January 2021 11:04:03(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Hi if yours have a SFCM (some later models have DCM) this is your case:

The 60943 motor kit is for you

One of mine conversions

IMG_43348_resize.JPG

with 60976 Sound decoder

IMG_43349_resize.JPG

Have a good time

Regards

Costas
Offline artfull dodger  
#5 Posted : 23 January 2021 23:49:36(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I just ordered both the motor kit and the decoder just like yours has from AJCkids to upgrade my old 3060. Maybe she will run as nice as my newer V160 diesel out of a starter set that came factory digital. The Marklin decoder for the old SFCM works, if one wants to just watch it go around and around. But to run smooth and slow, pickup and drop off cars from side tracks, it is tricky as slow speed control is crap. She has already had the power truck taken apart and cleaned, serviced. I even took the front truck apart to clean rust/corrosion from the axle bores as ground pickup was intermitten, even with a ground wire soldered right to the truck frame itself. I need to order a pair of black horns over on evil bay to replace the missing ones on the 4060 non powered engine. Now to roust up a good Mars light circuit, the ones from Richmond Controls are the best on the market, better than any decoder set up unless the person is super good with CV modifications. I am not and struggle to even just change the address with the older Uhlenbrock set up I have.
Offline xxup  
#6 Posted : 24 January 2021 00:31:13(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
There is some good information in this thread -> https://www.marklin-user...a-Santa-Fe-3060-4060-lok

Of note, is my posts toward the end of the thread about the slider shorting on turnouts..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 24 January 2021 01:09:16(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Mike, reading your post under oiling and lubrication of locos, having power pick up problems result in 2 scenarios:

a.) the front bogie's metal connections are rusty or corroded. use a fine file or sand paper and clean the surface., on the frame do the same thing (fine sand paper and slightly oil it.
b.) the pick up shoe spring has been corroded as well, to fix this take a pair of pliers with a pointy end and try to lift up the ends of the slider, remove the spring and clean the surface, also look at the inner surface of the slider. , I had occasions whereas I did everything right but the loco kept stopping until I found the culprit., places which are damp or humid are enemies for Märklin locos and you will get your share of worries how to keep them rust free.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline artfull dodger  
#8 Posted : 24 January 2021 04:48:59(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
The shoe is newer and in good shape with no corrosion issues. But the orange tint to the oil after some running told me were the rust was. I took the wheels and axles off the bogie frame, cleaned the bores with a round jewerlers file then reassembled and lightly oiled things. Runs much better. She has a wire soldered to the truck frame and to the headlight bulkhead on top of the frame to hardwire the ground side and not depend on the bolster touching for ground(a common problem in older brass HO 2 rail models). Now as soon as Reynaulds gets me my 3 pieces of C track to complete my loop, I can put some run time on the engines, even before I get the new decoder and motor upgrade kit.