Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2021 13:39:16(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I have said these things before but I am getting older (70ish), clumsier and very deafer. However, life and in particular during lockdown (lokdown?) would be even more boring without my railway room.

So the latest event a loved lok 37326 which has been troublesome not long ago was sitting on the layout minding its own business when my wife tried to fetch a bag of coffee from an adjacent cupboard and dropped it sending the lok flying. It then would hardly go but the lights etc still worked. Si I tried to fix it and in doing so fried the decoder (don’t tell my wife that bit she broke it OK). So what next? No M dealers in the UK doing repairs and the EU doesn’t like us much now so I cant send it back yet.

Then I analyse my M needs. This lok has 18 function of which 14 “sound effects” are almost totally lost on me. In general I like if applicable lights, steam, telex but mainly lights -even basic lok sound especially electrics are a waste on me and just annoy the rest of the house. So I am not about to lash out 100 Euros on a new decoder which if I try and fit I will surely bugger it up and the thought of adjusting decoder function fills me with horror. So I consider a 60760 decoder set to fulfil my simple needs which when I mess it up will only have wasted 30 Euros.

I look in my secret shoe box and see I have four or five loks in a similar state

What are anyone’s thoughts on this issue?

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2021 13:56:25(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
I have said these things before but I am getting older (70ish), clumsier and very deafer. However, life and in particular during lockdown (lokdown?) would be even more boring without my railway room.

So the latest event a loved lok 37326 which has been troublesome not long ago was sitting on the layout minding its own business when my wife tried to fetch a bag of coffee from an adjacent cupboard and dropped it sending the lok flying. It then would hardly go but the lights etc still worked. Si I tried to fix it and in doing so fried the decoder (don’t tell my wife that bit she broke it OK). So what next? No M dealers in the UK doing repairs and the EU doesn’t like us much now so I cant send it back yet.

Then I analyse my M needs. This lok has 18 function of which 14 “sound effects” are almost totally lost on me. In general I like if applicable lights, steam, telex but mainly lights -even basic lok sound especially electrics are a waste on me and just annoy the rest of the house. So I am not about to lash out 100 Euros on a new decoder which if I try and fit I will surely bugger it up and the thought of adjusting decoder function fills me with horror. So I consider a 60760 decoder set to fulfil my simple needs which when I mess it up will only have wasted 30 Euros.

I look in my secret shoe box and see I have four or five loks in a similar state

What are anyone’s thoughts on this issue?

Well, according to the Marklin product page it is a plug-in decoder (probably an msd/3 seeing it is a recent sound loco). if you are happy to go without sound then get an mld/3 decoder, which will be about a third of the price and will just plug straight in. A lokpilot decoder with 21mtc interface would be an alternative, at about the same price as the mld/3.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2021 14:22:21(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Can I ask why your railway room has a cupboard used by your wife. My room has nothing but railway stuff and a computer for my use to run the household bills etc. Don’t know if it is possible just to get a decoder that works the lights and gives the basis chuff sound.
The Uk is hopeless for HO and in particular Marklin. However we still have the best system with the best products but accidents do happen.
If you have other locos that you are happy running why not just consider this as a write off and when funds are available buy a replacement.

My railway is a life saver at this time and with building Faller kits and replacing my coach lighting will keep my going for months ahead.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Rwill  
#4 Posted : 22 January 2021 15:31:07(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Can I ask why your railway room has a cupboard used by your wife. My room has nothing but railway stuff and a computer for my use to run the household bills etc. .

Indeed but I suspect I would loose that argument as well! My railway room is the same as yours - but it used to be the dining room so there is just one unit along the wall full of "kitchen stuff". Not usually a problem until the new year with the weather (even down South) deteriorating I brought indoors a bike on rollers so I could exercise (watch the telly). Trouble is the only place it would go was between the layout and the cupboard. It also has a fridge which although for food has a useful liquid storage area. Funnily enough she walked in to the fridge just now and saw the poor lok in bits on a tray and enquired sheepishly after its health. When I told her it was pooped she said "will I have to buy you a new one?". Trouble is with a joint account I really pay for it anyway and is she orders something may have to admit how much it cost - I think my wife thinks loks are terribly expensive at about £80 a pop

Offline Bogenschütze  
#5 Posted : 22 January 2021 15:36:53(UTC)
Bogenschütze

United Kingdom   
So I tried to fix it and in doing so fried the decoder (don’t tell my wife that bit she broke it OK). So what next? No M dealers in the UK doing repairs and the EU doesn’t like us much now so I cant send it back yet.

Regarding potential problems with shipping stuff from GB back to the EU for repair, I've just sent an MS2 back to the Märklin Reparaturservice. (I recently bought a new MS2 with the latest software so could update my first one. Although the Trackbox updated OK, the older MS2 update started but never successfully completed and now won't boot up - but that's another story).

Anyway, I boxed it up, downloaded and completed the Märklin repair request form and sent it off via UPS yesterday. The tracking status has just changed from "In Transit" to "Clearance in Progress". Hopefully the two hours I spent understanding and completing the customs declaration will have been worth it and the parcel will successfully reach Göppingen. Will give an update on my experience if anyone's interested.

Keith
Marklin - "The train set I never had as a child."
Keith Bowman
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bogenschütze
Offline Bogenschütze  
#6 Posted : 27 January 2021 11:26:32(UTC)
Bogenschütze

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bogenschütze Go to Quoted Post
So I tried to fix it and in doing so fried the decoder (don’t tell my wife that bit she broke it OK). So what next? No M dealers in the UK doing repairs and the EU doesn’t like us much now so I cant send it back yet.

Regarding potential problems with shipping stuff from GB back to the EU for repair, I've just sent an MS2 back to the Märklin Reparaturservice. (I recently bought a new MS2 with the latest software so could update my first one. Although the Trackbox updated OK, the older MS2 update started but never successfully completed and now won't boot up - but that's another story).

Anyway, I boxed it up, downloaded and completed the Märklin repair request form and sent it off via UPS yesterday. The tracking status has just changed from "In Transit" to "Clearance in Progress". Hopefully the two hours I spent understanding and completing the customs declaration will have been worth it and the parcel will successfully reach Göppingen. Will give an update on my experience if anyone's interested.

Checking UPS tracking online just now and my shipment is still sitting in the UPS International Gateway in the UK. The status has changed to "Held awaiting instructions and agreement." I have no idea what further instructions and agreement they need nor from whom they require it.

So, despite completing all the UPS paperwork for a customs declaration and ensuring that the shipment was clearly declared as "Repair" and not a sale, there are obviously big problems getting goods from the UK through Customs and delivered to the EU.

Marklin - "The train set I never had as a child."
Keith Bowman