Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline zoooctan  
#1 Posted : 28 December 2020 09:21:15(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
UserPostedImage
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by zoooctan
Offline zoooctan  
#2 Posted : 28 December 2020 09:27:49(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
UserPostedImage

Originally, I had an idea for an all-in-one layout that would be American freelance. Feature all the operations I wanted to have and be DCC. I got this far but abandoned it after my trial tests of the DCC installed AZL Mikados showed very poor running. I don't know why. If it was the locomotives or the track or the power, but I decided to abandon both this layout plan, the locomotive fleet (eventually sold) and DCC (for this layout.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by zoooctan
Offline zoooctan  
#3 Posted : 28 December 2020 09:48:35(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
From April 2017 to July, I started work on a brand new module.
I chanced upon a wooden artist easel that measures 60cm x 45cm and this inspired me to create multiple modules, slowly at a time, that would interconnect into a giant square (2 x 2) with an outer circle running through them.

I decided upon Rokuhan track as it allowed me to create isolated blocks using the turnouts while still being able to use Marklin analogue power.
I also came upon the wonderful Marklin 81419 Casey Jones set which featured the old American 4-6-0 and is made of brass. This would form the backbone of my fleet.

Halland was born. The first module was called St'Andrew's, named after my old school. It was also the name of the locomotive terminal which I scratch built probably 5 - 7 years ago.
This module would be point-to-point but it's main purpose was to be the home for my locomotives and to proof to myself that my idea would work - and that Rokuhan track would allow me to get some level of operation that I would be happy with.

As I have mentioned in other places, I'm very happy with Rokuhan track. My only complaint is that their turnouts tend to become unreliable sometimes after a few years.

I will continue to update this page with pictures of my adventure. I hope to keep it as chronological as possible.
Please don't be too critical of my photos :) I took them as I build...and some have had improvement or details added over time.

Gavin / aka zoo-octan / aka Mayor of Halland / aka Halland_z (on Instagram)

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

thanks 9 users liked this useful post by zoooctan
Offline zoooctan  
#4 Posted : 04 January 2021 09:44:49(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
In April 2018, I began work on my second module of Halland. My first module provided me some good lessons and confirmed that I could use Rokuhan track. It also confirmed that the size of the wooden easel would allow me to put in enough elements to make it interesting for myself and most importantly also offer opportunities for expansion.

Although I was very happy with my first layout, one thing that I wanted to do with the second module was to create a loop section so that I could run some trains uninterrupted. The second module still had to fulfil important characteristics.
- It must connect to the first easily.
- The loop must have a proper "story" without it being toylike. In this module, the loop services the inner town of Zelda.
- I used high mountains and different type of scenery to try and mask the fact that it was a circle as much as possible

The second module of Halland was created, entitled "Jaka-Zelda".

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline zoooctan  
#5 Posted : 27 January 2021 12:18:58(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
Work on my modules continued at a good pace. Sometime around July 2018, I started work on my 3rd Module! This one would be a bit different from the first two and a bit of a side project from my big goal of having Four Equal Modules to form a 2 x 2 square. As you can see from the pictures, the layout in my storeroom allowed for an L-shape space and so I wanted to utilise this space efficiently. At this point, I also came to terms that while the 2 x 2 plan would always be achievable in the future, the near future would not allow me a space to practically set this up permanently.

Therefore this third module, Astoria-Stirling, would have slightly different dimensions. This would allow for me to:
- have a main staging / yard area
- have a turntable to turn my steam locomotive fleet
- have enough space to raise the level so that I could include a turntable

Work went quite quickly for this module since I always knew what I wanted to achieve. Many details were slowly added later such as the Jane Stanley Vineyard at Stirling. However there is no denying that among all my modules, this one is perhaps the most experimental and "loose". For example till this day, it has a very tight curve out from Astoria to join the Jaka-Zelda module. This is mostly manageable but locomotives still frequently stall here when the track is not well aligned. Running non-Marklin rolling stock round this curve also creates a high chance of derailment. Finally as I was rushing this module (I don't know why), I did take some shortcuts that I'm not entirely happy with till now. There are cheap China-made LED lamps from ebay which promised to be z-scale but seem too large. You will also see some buildings that were 3d Printed which I think I could have either done a lot better with in terms of weathering / details or just not used at all.

However those are the details. I am pleased with this module overall as it does serve it's purpose very well and is a vital part to my daily operational running. Having said that the tight curves I decided to include here does restrict my choice of locomotives and rolling stock. Longer locomotives and passenger cars are not possible. Interestingly, the Crocodile runs well here :)

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

thanks 9 users liked this useful post by zoooctan
Offline parakiet  
#6 Posted : 29 January 2021 23:09:48(UTC)
parakiet

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: zoooctan Go to Quoted Post

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

very nice!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by parakiet
MmanZmeGLI
Offline zoooctan  
#7 Posted : 22 June 2021 09:48:02(UTC)
zoooctan

Singapore   
The fourth Module of Halland is called the Schumacher Module. My various business trips and exposure to North American railroads had made me want to module a lumber mill and logging area for this module. This dream materialised when I discovered a kit in z scale by N Scale Arch. The kit was beautiful and a joy to put together. I decided to call it Charles Francis after my father. Once the kit was in place, the rest fell nicely into my plan.

Work then began on the module sometime in July 2020. This module would be very heavily scenic with forests and greenery. I also wanted a tunnel, a small town for the workers to live in and a log pond of course.

I started to take this opportunity to explore scratch-building more. Many of the structures that are used in Schumacher town have been built from scratch from my imagination and I’m quite proud of that. One tall structure entitled Henry is named after my father-in-law and you can see some pictures of the other structures. I even started to create my own trees for the forest.

This module would be the second one that would feature a circular loop to allow me to run a train non-stop. This feature is also vital in the medium term as the completed module itself would not be connected to the rest of my modules due to space constraint in my store/train room.

UPDATE: The progress of the building of this module went very well and it was mostly completed by the end of 2020. However while adding ballast to the track during May 2021, I made an error with the scenic cement and damaged several turnouts. I was very upset by this and proceeded to purchase replacements.

However before repair work could be done, I realised that I had made an even bigger mistake. With the “overall, big-picture” plan of one day connecting up all the Halland modules, I realised that the sidings for the lumber mill were in the wrong direction! Wrong direction in comparison to all the other sidings I have in place for my other modules and towns.

While this may sound trivial, it would greatly affect operations given that I only had one turntable and the Halland Railroad fleet of 4-6-0s only had couplings on the tail end of the locomotives. So the renovation was a blessing in disguise. I was able to place a new siding in the correct direction and I was pleased to even carve out a small siding for the town of Schumacher so that some cars may rest here.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Offline Ricinport  
#8 Posted : 22 June 2021 17:24:27(UTC)
Ricinport

Portugal   
Nice work zooctan
Some great model buildings, rural and industrial. Has a great feel.

I'm about to embark on a modular project.
A lot smaller than yours but similar in that I'll be working on each module independently in a small work place.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Ricinport
Offline Zme  
#9 Posted : 22 June 2021 19:25:26(UTC)
Zme

United States   
I agree, very nice "World" you created. Excellent details, trees look great. Exceptional work! I like it very much.

Take good care.

Dwight
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme