Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline David Dewar  
#1 Posted : 20 December 2020 15:10:48(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Anybody know if Roco coaches are made to attach Marklin sliders and ground springs without drilling holes etc.I know wheel sets would be changed. Looking at RC74569 SBB ...MIke might know this ...and RC74576 DB sorry cant do pics.
Thanks for any info.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 20 December 2020 18:34:51(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Anybody know if Roco coaches are made to attach Marklin sliders and ground springs without drilling holes etc.I know wheel sets would be changed. Looking at RC74569 SBB ...MIke might know this ...and RC74576 DB sorry cant do pics.
Thanks for any info.

Well, not MÄRKLINs sliders and springs, but their own.
I have adapted Märklin springs with success (The part has to be shortened in a couple of places) No change or holes in the waggon were needed.
(Didn't have to adapt a slider, as the current will come from conducting couplers.)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 20 December 2020 19:05:04(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
You have been a member since:: 28/11/2007(UTC)
Roco used to provide a small rectangular piece with almost every coach model, which could be used to adapt an AC slider and mount it to the underside of the bogie. All that remained was to run a wire through the holes in the bogie and into the coach body for the feeder cable for the center rail and axle pickups.

One other possibility would be simply to use current conducting couplers (wired) to route the power from the locomotive to the trailing coaches.
You could use a single pole if you equip each coach with axle contacts for return.
If using dual pole, you can provide both live and return from the locomotive (or pilot coach)

Having a slider and axle contacts on each coach can create a lot of drag on the consist. This is why current conducting couplers are useful.

Another possible solution might be the easy-peezy lighting system from Rapido. This one works with batteries and a magnetic wand.

Regards

Mike C
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 20 December 2020 19:18:10(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Thanks for replies. I normally use train tech lighting which is good. However Viessmann do lightbars with built in decoders and are flicker free and can be useful. However fitting to a Roco coach does look difficult and have not been able to find part numbers for coach sliders and ground springs for ac.

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline dominator  
#5 Posted : 21 December 2020 01:04:55(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I have made up current conducting couplers for my Rocco Tegernseebahn coach. It wasn't difficult [ converted Marklin plug in close couplers ]. I just had to make sure the loop of wire from the coupler, easily passed the end axle on the bogey prior to going up through the centre hole in the bogie. I don't get flickering, unless I get a tricky connection between the couplers. easy enough to sort out though. My coaches are set up to work with both digital and analogue.

Dereck

PS Train teck lighting costs a bomb over here.
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline mvd71  
#6 Posted : 23 December 2020 09:52:46(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi David,

I have bought a number of Roco 1:87 coaches (303mm), and the Roco slider for them works well. All of my coaches had electrical pick up for two rail built into them from the factory. It is a system that utilises the axle mounts so there is no need for extra contacts like we use on our Märklin coaches, all I did was bridge the wires from each side to creat all wheels in contact. For couplers I have used the esu two pole current conducting couplers and esu lighting kits.

I have been very happy with the coaches, they run well and the detail is excellent. Only thing to consider is the exact 1:87 often will not work on R1 curves, and looks goofy on R2.

Cheers....

Mike
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 23 December 2020 12:12:30(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
Hi David,

It is a system that utilizes the axle mounts so there is no need for extra contacts like we use on our Märklin coaches, all I did was bridge the wires from each side to create all wheels in contact. For couplers I have used the Esu two pole current conducting couplers and Esu lighting kits.

Mike

please note, not all of Roco coaches have this metal insert.

John

Edited by user 24 December 2020 06:05:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline mvd71  
#8 Posted : 24 December 2020 04:32:59(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Correct, that is why I said all of my coaches. Sorry if that wasn’t clear
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 24 December 2020 06:08:31(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
Correct, that is why I said all of my coaches. Sorry if that wasn’t clear

Some modellers may not be aware of the metal insert and others may look for it but can't find it, hence I've mentioned for modellers who have Roco carriages and may intend adding interior lightnings to their coaches.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline ocram63_uk  
#10 Posted : 24 December 2020 18:01:12(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Opening these coaches to reach the underframe is a nightmare though, the current conducting sheet of 'copper' on the bottom can be used to distribute electricity to the coach for one pole. And you never know if the fidgety plastic hooks will brake when reassembling the coach.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#11 Posted : 24 December 2020 18:23:13(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi all,

this is a hot topic for me at the moment. Do any of you have a guide or link to what cars and the various AC slider that correctly fits them them? I don't have a roco catalogue or maybe that would have mentioned it?

I have the 1:87 Eurofimas for lighting conversion, the Gran Confort ones (TEE + FS) and about 10 misc other Roco sets so this would be most helpful- especially since not all sets have the ground pickup as mentioned either....

The Roco site mentions light conversions and kits, and for that matter AC wheels, but not AC sliders that will mount right up

SBB Era 2-5
Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 25 December 2020 06:53:44(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
You have been a member since:: 28/11/2007(UTC)
Most older Roco coaches came with a rectangular part with cut outs at the ends and two holes in the part.
The idea was that you took a Roco AC slider, detached the mounting part by bending the arms, install the part from the accessories bag and then use that when you clip the slider on to the bottom of the bogie
Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 12.43.19 AM.png

See: https://stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=50493

You then run the cable through the hole used by the bogie fixation and mount the slider using the two holes as guides.
You may want to use glue to hold the slider in place.

Some new models no longer came with the part. Hopefully you can find enough from models that you have not electrified to outfit the ones you intend to equip with lights.

Regards

Mike C
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#13 Posted : 26 December 2020 04:31:29(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks Mike! I have to dig through my boxes when I get home in a few days. I suspect it will be a mixed bag of easy converts and proper projects..
SBB Era 2-5
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#14 Posted : 02 January 2021 23:45:29(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi all, an update:

I looked at a Roco 40500 slider and a few passenger cars today. Shockingly, the slider was drilled for all 3 holes, center and two mounting. The thing just pops right on, and seems to stay put without even needing glue or a screw (although I may do so regardless.)

Couldn't be easier, although I've only looked at 2 type of coach thus far. I'll update this thread down the road when I get around to actually installing any lighting...
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR