Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#1 Posted : 23 October 2020 10:25:50(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hallo Everyone,
On my recent trip to old Europe I committed big Märklin betrayal.
Yes I am guilty of a big sin Crying , very guilty ‘cause as a avid Marklinist I turned my back ... - Not only on my beloved SBB but also on Märklin brand.
Hell, it was impulse buy guys ! - I walked in to German dealer store and here she was so beautiful and so perfect - Flapper My eyes started getting wider and wider , I was beaming with big smile to a sales lady behind counter.
...And , and I could not resist any more ...- I did it I purchased that Roco H0 set ( of course für Märklin)
Not a ordinary set - DB Blue Mauritius Train set ( from Epoch III a - yes from Epoch III )
Well , and to top it off -dealer convinced me that in order to run it as prototypical as possible I need second steam engine- Love - so I bought second BR03.10 engine ( different road number ) to run nice prototypical DB consist. Love Basically I had to purchase second set. Ugh ....

( Gosh ! NOW IF I ONLY COULD FIGURE OUT how to insert a picture of it for you here )

It’s
Roco 69281 Set - DB BR 03.10 in blue livery with silver boiler rings and gorgeous ( 1:87 length) DB in Blue livery Type 53 Passenger Coaches together with Maroon DSG Restaurant car.
Sooo... Is any one of you Gents running this absolutely gorgeous DB train set on your layout ?

Regards,
Märklineisenbahn

Edited by user 10 December 2020 13:45:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Marklineisenbahn
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 23 October 2020 10:56:35(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I have a blue BR 03.10 from Roco with the era IIIa coach set - the coaches have decoders and the doors really open and close when you press a key. Nice gimmick, but a bit pointless since no Preiserlings get in or out.

I was so disappointed from the first Märklin locos with the compact C-Sine motor that I started buying many Roco locos back then. Well, bought my first Roco loco long before that, but shifted my budget massively at that time.
Recently I mostly bought Piko Expert locos.

It's not a sin to buy non-Märklin locos. It's stupid not to look where you get good value for the money.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Copenhagen  
#3 Posted : 23 October 2020 11:01:02(UTC)
Copenhagen

Congrats on your new purchase. To me being a "Marklinist" means buying from all brands and makers that produce stuff that'll run well on Marklin tracks. BigGrin
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline IanC  
#4 Posted : 23 October 2020 12:16:32(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
It's more about using the Marklin system, 3 rail ac than just loyalty to Marklin. I have Marklin, Roco, Piko, and a few Bemo, Brawa, Liliput, Gutzold, Rivarossi, and one Mehano. They're all good and some are better than others.

I think Piko have overtaken Roco in recent years but stick to Marklin, Piko and Roco and you won't go far wrong.

IanC
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by IanC
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 23 October 2020 14:36:44(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I have two Piko locos and both run very well. I also have Roco coaches which are good. In the past have bought Brawa but although detail is good not really worth the extra cost and some coaches do not like C track turnouts. Always buy Marklin track and turnout decoders etc along with their control system all of which never give me problems. If I want a new steamer I buy Marklin. I look at it that if Marklin went bust I would have a problem but if others went bust it would not matter but of course I would hope all will continue and give a choice.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 23 October 2020 19:44:03(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
I fully understand being a Märklinist (I am one with very very few exceptions)
My exception is a 2005 Roco SNCF BB 9004 and I must say it is not a betrayal to Märklin.
Agreed it is not "full metal" and not MFX but the rest is really top.
Also the 2009 Roco set with full digital operation (opening doors, operating pantographs) would have tempted me crazyBigGrin
I have a BR 85 which is tempting me a lot
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#7 Posted : 23 October 2020 19:55:56(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hallo Everyone,
First I would like to thank you all who replied for taking time to answer to my post.
Also thanks for encouragements, as H0 mentioned about those digital gimmicks - like digitally controlled doors and lights.To be frank that’s what sold me on this particular Roco set.
My Best,
Märklineisenbahn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Marklineisenbahn
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 23 October 2020 20:11:48(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Marklineisenbahn Go to Quoted Post
To be frankthat’s what sold me on this particular Roco set.
My Best,

We are all big kids and sadly sometimes those gimmicks don't last forever.

My Märklin gimmicks giving me trouble
- the BR 01 with coal level adjustment (39008) is stuck. There is no more coal consomption
- the pantograph on my Turmtriebwagen (39970) is stuck
Anyways it is about enjoying while it lasts
Jean

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#9 Posted : 24 October 2020 18:28:57(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Hi JohnjeanB,

Well , agree with you on this one. For me it was Roco Digitaly controllable car doors, the sound of closing doors , conductors whistle and announcements reminded childhood memories. And finally “black swan” of DB Rocos BR10 with DYNAMIC steam was on the top of my list. Not Marklin but combined together it is one heck of a train ...

Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Marklineisenbahn
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 24 October 2020 23:29:37(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I've never been keen on Roco steam locos as the drive motor is in the tender, I have 2: 1 x beautiful detailed model: BR 18 201, (69201), 1 x SBB C5/6 "Elephant", so far climbing up any incline forget about it.
I bought a second tender for the 18 201, motorized it and it has now got some pulling power, The Swiss Elephant supposed to be the strongest Gotthard steam loco but as a Roco model it lost its strength, one day I may buy the Märklin model,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline applor  
#11 Posted : 24 October 2020 23:46:30(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Yes I have the Roco 69281 (03 1014) in steel blue livery.

I also have the black version Roco 69284 (03 1049) which pulls my post-war Rheingold consist.

I love these engines but the only problem is the front axles aren't actually AC wheelsets, they are still DC - which means they do not trigger S88 on the front axle which caused problems with automation.

The solution is to pull the axle apart and insert a tiny metal spring between the two shafts inside the plastic cylinder, which then joins them electrically and correctly triggers S88.

And honestly the betrayal here is actually Marklin for releasing the steel blue 03.10 incorrectly as a BR03 with front apron and open cab etc. (item 29845)
It still infuriates me just looking at it.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#12 Posted : 10 December 2020 13:50:26(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Yes I have the Roco 69281 (03 1014) in steel blue livery.

I also have the black version Roco 69284 (03 1049) which pulls my post-war Rheingold consist.

I love these engines but the only problem is the front axles aren't actually AC wheelsets, they are still DC - which means they do not trigger S88 on the front axle which caused problems with automation.

The solution is to pull the axle apart and insert a tiny metal spring between the two shafts inside the plastic cylinder, which then joins them electrically and correctly triggers S88.

And honestly the betrayal here is actually Marklin for releasing the steel blue 03.10 incorrectly as a BR03 with front apron and open cab etc. (item 29845)
It still infuriates me just looking at it.

Hi Applor,
Thank you for very useful post. Can you provide a picture of front axles modification - if possible?
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn
Offline danmarklinman  
#13 Posted : 10 December 2020 17:24:38(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
After buying recent new models by Piko and being very happy with them, I’ve also bought a Roco loco as well BigGrin I’m quite pleased with it. It’s a SNCB electric series 20. Nice details and sound. I look forward to another purchase from them. Brexit allowing Glare
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline Marklineisenbahn  
#14 Posted : 11 December 2020 17:17:28(UTC)
Marklineisenbahn

United States   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
After buying recent new models by Piko and being very happy with them, I’ve also bought a Roco loco as well BigGrin I’m quite pleased with it. It’s a SNCB electric series 20. Nice details and sound. I look forward to another purchase from them. Brexit allowing Glare

Hallo Danmarklinman,
Generally speaking my experience with Roco is positive. Now I have E10 E03 BR03 BR 18 Class 310 Re 460 Re 420 Ae 6/6 so 8 Roco models w/ slider and those are very quiet and good runners the only problem I have with Roco is that they are unable to negotiate grades and plastic add on parts are falling off before loco gets to first curve - in plain English to fragile to handle - so easy to knock out those little tiny parts.
Motor in tender is another story - they even implemented cardan-shaft to propel main wheels but especially up the hill Roco steamers lack of pulling power - otherwise they are O.K. - and sometimes from appearance point of view better looking then Märklin. Also ZIMO sound is in my opinion tad better than ESU - That’s my 2 cents to the bucket...
Regards,
Märklineisenbahn

Edited by user 13 December 2020 21:35:44(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling