Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rhfil  
#1 Posted : 22 October 2020 16:26:42(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Is there any way to get around that Marklin does not allow advanced loco edit features on its Mfx locos? Seems a waste to offer a feature that is useless on all the new locos.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 22 October 2020 16:53:32(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
I don't know of any limitations on editing parameters on MFX locos except:
- sounds: they are locked on a factory-installed decoder
- the decoder parameters: brand, type, etc

All the rest can be edited on my old CS2 (minimum speed, maximum speed, acceleration, deceleration, speed curve, physical output modes (dimmer, Marslight, smoke, telex, etc), timer, active in one or both directions
Lok Konfiguration BR 01 138 CV-Motor 1.png

Lok Konfiguration BR 01 138 CV-Motor 4.png

Lok Konfiguration BR 01 138 CV-Funktion Edit-F0.png

These are only a few examples of the parameters available for you to changes (hundreds of them I think)
But I don't know what digital unit you are using
Cheers
Jean
Offline applor  
#3 Posted : 23 October 2020 01:51:54(UTC)
applor

Australia   
You need to use the programming track
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 23 October 2020 10:20:53(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
You need to use the programming track
Not with mfx locos (but using the programming track avoids some potential problems).

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline ocram63_uk  
#5 Posted : 23 October 2020 17:33:50(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
whether you put it on the programming track or on the running track doesn't change a thing. If you have a CS 1/2/3 maybe you can do more than with another piece of equipment. I have tried with an ESU Ecos and as long as the motor is not a s@@@y c-sine / SDS some changes are possibe using the graphic interface only, no direct CV programming, IMO. HTH
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 23 October 2020 19:00:16(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
whether you put it on the programming track or on the running track doesn't change a thing. If you have a CS 1/2/3 maybe you can do more than with another piece of equipment. I have tried with an ESU Ecos and as long as the motor is not a s@@@y c-sine / SDS some changes are possibe using the graphic interface only, no direct CV programming, IMO. HTH

Hi
This is quite normal: if you purchase everywhere (non-Märklin) you don't benefit from a large part of the Märklin system. It is a choice.
SDS are exceptionally good. I have approx 12 SDS locos and I wish i had more.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline clapcott  
#7 Posted : 24 October 2020 22:16:38(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
Mfx locos?

What is a Mfx loco?

If you mean that the decoder in the loco may be able to operate using the mfx protocol, then this does not preclude the ability for the same decoders to also be programed via other protocols.

Maybe indicating which decoder is under consideration and which limitation has been encounter might assist.

Peter
Offline applor  
#8 Posted : 24 October 2020 23:42:14(UTC)
applor

Australia   

You can't do direct CV programming as MFX decoders have a 'MFX programming space' which works differently but you can still change all the parameters.
Offline clapcott  
#9 Posted : 25 October 2020 02:23:43(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
You can't do direct CV programming as MFX decoders have a 'MFX programming space' which works differently but you can still change all the parameters.

Again, what is a mfx decoder?

A decoder that may be able to communicate with the mfx protocol is also able to work with other protocols

Peter
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 25 October 2020 03:07:00(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post

A decoder that may be able to communicate with the mfx protocol is also able to work with other protocols

If I understand this correctly, a loco I've purchases has a Zimo decoder installed and with the Zimo CV instruction pages I can change any CV with my Ecos., its just a matter of knowing how to which I haven't worked out yet.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline applor  
#11 Posted : 25 October 2020 05:58:55(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post

What I mean by that is MFX decoders that do not support DCC.

From my experience this means all previous Marklin and ESU decoders that were offered with either MM/DCC or MM/MFX protocols but not MFX (M4) AND DCC which was prior to 5th generation (ie. LS 3.0 M4 or LS 4.0 M4).

The 5th Generation ESU decoders (ie. standard loksound/lokpilot 5, not select) all support DCC and MFX (M4) and as such do allow direct CV changes including POM.

This is made very clear since when using the ESU lokprogrammer you cannot use the read/write CV function on MFX decoders that do not support DCC.

I believe this does not include adjustment of base CV's though such as loco address. Other settings such as accel/braking delays and top speed could possibly be adjusted direct by CV but I have not tested.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 26 October 2020 11:40:36(UTC)
H0

I have tried with an ESU Ecos and as long as the motor is not a s@@@y c-sine / SDS some changes are possibe using the graphic interface only, no direct CV programming, IMO.
mfx programming works on main track and on programming track, it works with C-Sine motors and regular DC motors.
DCC programming on programming track does not work for many locos with C-Sine motor, but that's a different story. Problem is the motor driver board, not the decoder, not the motor.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage