Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 21 October 2020 04:09:12(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
This is what happens when you derive from your known sound decoders like Märklin or ESU., I bought this Austrian loco with sound and it has a Zimo decoder, it runs fine, the functions are working but I had in mind to change the address from a short to a long address, I also needed to turn off DC analog so the braking functions works.
You can't read the decoder via ESU Lokprogrammer but you can change the CV's but how do you do this and this where the problem started, I've posted the topic on Stummi's forum and received a few responses but so far the help they've given me is useless for me as I don't understand all the technical bit and pieces like: CV's bits and values., I finally figured out what it all means but was cut short when the changes didn't occur.
I eventually got the long address: 1145 by using the EcoS., I think I've managed to turn off analog DC but wasn't sure.
for the braking section I use CV 254 and this determines the distance of the braking section, with this selection your loco can enter the braking section regardless of its speed but than regardless of reducing the distance the loco didn't respond to it, I than reduced the braking distance under CV 5 and this worked but the speed has to be at a certain speed to arrive at the given selected point.
I've emailed Zimo and Stephan helped me and tried to explain how it all works, I feel guilty of all his input and I can't follow the instructions successfully., in the end I've finished up with no lights so I've reset the decoder and the lights work again.
hopefully with careful consideration I'll make sure any CV I change doesn't have the same effect as the last time., what is frustration people like to help, offer their help but I'm unable to respond with their suggestions and step by step instructions., this is why I chosen the ECoS or ESU decoders, it was the first firm to introduce a Lokprogrammer whereas you didn't have to know the Bits to enter to change the configuration of a decoder.
I like the decoder as it has the original sound from an ÖBB Rh 1044, I'm not sure about the ESU sound for this loco, I bought the loco new and the price was very cheap considering it had a sound decoder as well. (A$ 385.00), the same loco is advertised on German ebay for Euro 310.00 and than on top of it would be the expensive postage these days., it would have costed me A$ 630.00 incl. postage

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline pederbc  
#2 Posted : 21 October 2020 09:42:21(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi,

If you have the ESU ECoS you can download the free ”Decoder Pro” from JMRI. Connect it via network to the ECoS and then you have a similar interface as the Lokprogrammer to program nearly all types of decoders. Very nice indeed!

Best regards, Peder
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by pederbc
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 21 October 2020 10:51:05(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: pederbc Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

If you have the ESU ECoS you can download the free ”Decoder Pro” from JMRI. Connect it via network to the ECoS and then you have a similar interface as the Lokprogrammer to program nearly all types of decoders. Very nice indeed!

Best regards, Peder

Peder where do you ind these downloads ? I've never heard of it, there seems to be another program (in German) but I don't seem to make sense of it.
thanks for your help and I let you know how I get on., I hope I can connect it to the network with the ECoS., anything out of the ordinary and I'm stuck.
Its another obstacle in the works: I haven't got Java and installing Java Firefox doesn't support the platform.

John
Offline pederbc  
#4 Posted : 21 October 2020 14:34:43(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Go to www.jmri.org and download the DecoderPro. The software support a lot of programmers and also the ECoS, but not the Lokprogrammer. eSU introduced remote programming a few firmwares ago. The DecoderPro supports a lot of decoders and it will do a good try trying to identify the brand and type of decoder. The interface is not as good as the lokprogrammer but works...

Best of luck, Peder
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 21 October 2020 14:41:30(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: pederbc Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Best regards, Peder

Peder where do you ind these downloads ? I've never heard of it, there seems to be another program (in German) but I don't seem to make sense of it.
thanks for your help and I let you know how I get on., I hope I can connect it to the network with the ECoS., anything out of the ordinary and I'm stuck.
Its another obstacle in the works: I haven't got Java and installing Java Firefox doesn't support the platform.

John

I have mentioned JMRI several times on this forum. Download it from https://www.jmri.org/. Decoderpro is the decoder programming portion of it.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 13 January 2022 11:26:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Thanks for your advice but this is out of my range how to download it, how to do anything with it., sorry guys but when it comes to computers I'm pretty hopeless. and I've noticed with 77 years of age I'm not getting any more clever

John
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 13 January 2022 16:21:08(UTC)
mike c

Canada