Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Brian_BR96  
#1 Posted : 10 October 2020 18:11:47(UTC)
Brian_BR96

United States   
Hi, I recently bought a 3315 BR50 on ebay for my small 4' x 8' analog layout, and when it came in I discovered the electronic reverse unit was shot. I found a NOS 7180 5 pole conversion kit (with electronic reverse unit) on ebay for the same price as a brand new replacement reverse unit, so I purchased it. I've read I can expect smoother running characteristics from this kit, but that it differs in performance from a digital DC 5 pole motor. Anyone have any more information on the 7180?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 11 October 2020 17:58:30(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Brian

Apparently you have purchased a 5 star motor kit: 5 pole motor, electronic motor control and inversion unit.
I don't have any of these but:
- they are excellent in analog functioning: smooth acceleration and stop. No more jumps during overvoltage
- they are incompatible with digital or systems nor with 6600 analog drive units (The power-conditioning unit to progressive start, stop and automatic inversion in analog mode)

The set appeared in the late 1980 and was replaced in the 1990s with the C90 propulsion system (5 poles, digital, address selection by "Mausklavier", acceleration/deceleration and maximum speed by 2 separate Potentiometers.

Enjoy
Jean

Edited by user 12 October 2020 19:31:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline ktsolias  
#3 Posted : 12 October 2020 10:51:52(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
The 7180 motor set from Marklin is the 5* system.
Is pure analog.
Is not good at all for many reasons.
Of course you can use it on an analog system.
The colors of the wires compile with the current Marklin color code.

For my opinion the 7180 motor set in this days is only good for rubbish.

Is better to buy a digital set even the cheapest 60760 (motor and decoder).

Can work excellent on analog systems and of course on digital ones.

Costas
Offline bph  
#4 Posted : 12 October 2020 18:29:41(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi
I believe that you will be satisfied with the 7180, if the electronics still work. It’s quite old. It will offer better running than an old motor, and no jerking when changing direction. And you will get adjustable top sped and acceleration. For over 30 years ago, I got my first 35 series locomotive (7180 factory fitted), and I was quite happy with it. I later upgraded it to digital when I got a 80f. A digital decoder might make sense quite often, but there are also disadvantages. One, if you are using an old blue transformer you might damage a modern decoder (the reverse pulse). So, you might need a new transformer(s). Two, if you want to change analog parameters like top speed etc, you need a digital controller ore a decoder programmer. Three, 5-star motors with permanent magnet stops a bit more abruptly compared to field coil motors when they lose power, eg if a section har poor contact.
Suggest you first try the 7180, and if you are happy with it keep it. 😊.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bph