Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marklin 279  
#1 Posted : 10 August 2020 21:29:05(UTC)
marklin 279

United States   
I recently installed 3 Faller amusement rides on my layout. All 3 rides have independent 12-14 volt ac power source. It seems that sometimes they run fine and there are sometimes one will run and 2 won't and some 2 will run and one won't. I have checked all connections,, rotated the power sources, removed and benched tested and still the problem prevails...... "frustrated"..... Help!!!!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklin 279
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 10 August 2020 21:40:50(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklin 279 Go to Quoted Post
I recently installed 3 Faller amusement rides on my layout. All 3 rides have independent 12-14 volt ac power source. It seems that sometimes they run fine and there are sometimes one will run and 2 won't and some 2 will run and one won't. I have checked all connections,, rotated the power sources, removed and benched tested and still the problem prevails...... "frustrated"..... Help!!!!!!

These are notoriously finicky in operation at the best of times. The basic problem seems to be that plastic against plastic does not make good bearings and things jam and stall.

It may be possible to help things with some grease of the type used on plastic gears, such as supplied by Trix or Faller. There is also a Labelle product which I believe is good for this. Another possibility is to track down a model shop that sells R/C vehicles and see what grease they have for plastic gears.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 10 August 2020 23:23:11(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I have built a lot of these Faller rides etc and they require constant attention to keep them going. Eventually gave up with most of them and just kept the easier ones that just go round without a lot of gears etc. The big wheels are not too bad but the lighting in the gondolas need changes made to try and keep them lit.
They all look good but many do not work well.

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline marklin 279  
#4 Posted : 13 August 2020 18:54:07(UTC)
marklin 279

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: marklin 279 Go to Quoted Post

These are notoriously finicky in operation at the best of times. The basic problem seems to be that plastic against plastic does not make good bearings and things jam and stall.

It may be possible to help things with some grease of the type used on plastic gears, such as supplied by Trix or Faller. There is also a Labelle product which I believe is good for this. Another possibility is to track down a model shop that sells R/C vehicles and see what grease they have for plastic gears.

Thanks for your response. I have already felt the "finicky" in Faller. I will try the plastic lube suggestion.
Offline rustya  
#5 Posted : 17 August 2020 16:47:49(UTC)
rustya

United States   
I have had the same problem. The Faller motors are junk and too temperamental. I just replaced one in their factory building with the small gondolas that run between them. I used a small servo motor, fixed it so it runs 360 and mounted it in the building. I put a potentiometer on it and dialed it down as low as it would go. Runs just a hair faster than original, but it runs. The servo has brass gear and you can hear them, but I wanted something that would last and work. I bought them thru Amazon prime, 4 motors for $17.00 .
Hope this helps. I have been fighting this for several years.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 17 August 2020 18:08:32(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hello
I have purchased a motor that is compatible with the faller motor
Here it ishttps://www.ebay.de/itm/DC-3V-3-...feb344a0aa19590bb533ed35
Its price is around 3 € it is DC and its speed and direction can be adjusted/changed (unlike the faller motor).
It turned out to be a very nice & reliable solution. Yes shipment take a little time
Cheers
Jean
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 17 August 2020 20:20:03(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
You can change direction with Faller motor and also speed. Problem with the rides is the gearing to get power to move the equipment. I have had more than a dozen Faller motors and they are fine but the rides themselves require constant adjusting to keep them going.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#8 Posted : 17 August 2020 21:38:46(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
You can change direction withFaller motor and also speed

Hi David
I mean Faller synchron motor like the 180628
Yes you can change the direction using a lever
Yes you can change the speed by changing the gears
Is this a joke or am I missing something?
Jean