Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ranjit  
#1 Posted : 10 August 2020 04:11:26(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi All... What brand of air brush system is recommended that is tried and tested, and paints best suited for air brushing. Also, I would also like to know the kind of compressors that you would need.

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 10 August 2020 04:29:15(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I would try and borrow one and see if you *really* need one before outlaying money on an airbrush setup...
I got myself system, but often find I can do plenty well enough with dry brushing
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Ranjit  
#3 Posted : 10 August 2020 07:12:06(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Dale...

Unfortunately, there is absolutely no one around who use air brush for model making, especially for railways. There are some salons and beauty academies that use air brush for makeup !! You see, I want to get an air brush system, as well as, a set of good brushes to learn the art, and build my skill on weathering. I have never done something like this before. Nothing beats having an airbrush, and I certainly want to invest in good quality equipment that is not going to turn out to be inadequate for the job.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 10 August 2020 07:33:56(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Ranjit Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dale...

Unfortunately, there is absolutely no one around who use air brush for model making, especially for railways. There are some salons and beauty academies that use air brush for makeup !! You see, I want to get an air brush system, as well as, a set of good brushes to learn the art, and build my skill on weathering. I have never done something like this before. Nothing beats having an airbrush, and I certainly want to invest in good quality equipment that is not going to turn out to be inadequate for the job.

Cheers,
Ranjit

Hi Ranjit, sometimes you have to think outside the box.

Do you know if there is an active 'War Gaming' interest in India? - it's huge in many parts of the world, and the reason I ask is that those who are into it often build very detailed dioramas of battle scenes etc and they are using many of the same techniques that we use in our scenes, including airbrushing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wargame

http://www.indiawargamers.com/ (based in Bangalore but I see Chennai is mentioned as one of the locations for some members)

Don't know if this would help or not. Perhaps they have the same problems, difficulty getting the materials. It's not the same kind of modeling, but there is usually mutual respect for each other's efforts and abilities

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Ranjit  
#5 Posted : 10 August 2020 07:38:21(UTC)
Ranjit

I don't know anything about 'war gaming', but let me check, Stephen. Thank you for the links.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline Unholz  
#6 Posted : 10 August 2020 08:23:48(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Although many "serious" air brushers will probably sneer at this advice, I would recommend a basic starter set (for instance offered by Revell) with colors from Humbrol, Revell or Tamiya for a beginner. Or as Dale recommended, try to borrow an air brush from somebody who is already a bit advanced.

In both cases you will not have to spend a lot of money for an interesting, but slightly complex hobby which can be very rewarding indeed, but at the same time possibly frustrating. As a beginner, you will encounter a couple of "hazards" and also a good portion of "Murphy's Law" - and both risks might soon disappoint you. My first attempts at mastering the technology brought me a lot of mess to clean up, but in the end I began to really like air brushing.

Sorry that I can't provide you with a direct link to a specific product. All the results I get from Google are in German or point to European merchants (for instance Revell 39199), but I am sure that you will find something suitable also in India. Perhaps you have more air brushers there than model train enthusiasts? BigGrin
Offline Ranjit  
#7 Posted : 10 August 2020 09:10:57(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Stefan... There are air brush artists around in India, but they are mainly makeup artists working at salons and/or beauty academies. Air brushing for scale modelling is a rather unknown craft.

Making a mess, encountering hazards and dealing with Murphy's Law are all part and parcel of learning something new, but as you said, "in the end I began to like air brushing". I am sure it will be the same with me.

Thank you for suggesting Revell. I will check it out.

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 10 August 2020 10:41:31(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Why would you want an air brush for model rail. I know it can be used but the cost of anything decent plus the booths to take away excess spray etc is high. I had one but only used it for building model planes and even then just an ordinary brush was just as good. Looking at you other thread why not sort out the control boxes first. Lol.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Ranjit  
#9 Posted : 10 August 2020 13:27:41(UTC)
Ranjit

Hey David...

I understand that airbrushing is a very complex and creative art form and it can be expensive to put the "right" components together. I want to embark on an adventure to teach and train myself to do simple model making projects and to understand the intricacies of colour. Once I get more proficient with air brushing, I could certainly try my hand on weathering railways, spray painting realistic looking figures, stenciling, and other painting jobs that may be required on my layout. It is definitely a skill worth having for model railroading.

Regarding the "control boxes", I was waiting for Tom and Anders to sort out their misunderstandings !!

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ranjit
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 10 August 2020 14:26:44(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
Although many "serious" air brushers will probably sneer at this advice, I would recommend a basic starter set (for instance offered by Revell) with colors from Humbrol, Revell or Tamiya for a beginner. Or as Dale recommended, try to borrow an air brush from somebody who is already a bit advanced.

In both cases you will not have to spend a lot of money for an interesting, but slightly complex hobby which can be very rewarding indeed, but at the same time possibly frustrating. As a beginner, you will encounter a couple of "hazards" and also a good portion of "Murphy's Law" - and both risks might soon disappoint you. My first attempts at mastering the technology brought me a lot of mess to clean up, but in the end I began to really like air brushing.

Sorry that I can't provide you with a direct link to a specific product. All the results I get from Google are in German or point to European merchants (for instance Revell 39199), but I am sure that you will find something suitable also in India. Perhaps you have more air brushers there than model train enthusiasts? BigGrin

Modellbahn-Kramm have this Revell basic air brush kit for less than 80 Euro. I don't know how good it is, but Revell have been in the business for a long time.

[edit]
after posting that I had a google search using the Revell catalogue number, and this appears to be an end of life model, so everyone seems to be quitting it, but that price is as good as i found. UK shops appear to be selling it at twice the price (seems like a standard ratio to continental prices). US sources appear to be about 1.5x.
[/edit]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 10 August 2020 17:34:04(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I started with a cheap air brush which was poor. Bought a top of the range Iwata brush and compressor and that was excellent. Cost if I remember for everything including a booth was around £750 but I expect might be more now. In the end you get what you pay for and if you are serious about taking up something it pays to buy the correct equipment at the start which will last for years.
A bit like Marklin if you start with a small set and like it then be prepared to spend a lot to continue the hobby over a number of years. I think I saw an advert for Faller doing an air brush.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Ranjit  
#12 Posted : 11 August 2020 04:18:43(UTC)
Ranjit

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
I started with a cheap air brush which was poor. Bought a top of the range Iwata brush and compressor and that was excellent. Cost if I remember for everything including a booth was around £750 but I expect might be more now. In the end you get what you pay for and if you are serious about taking up something it pays to buy the correct equipment at the start which will last for years.
A bit like Marklin if you start with a small set and like it then be prepared to spend a lot to continue the hobby over a number of years. I think I saw an advert for Faller doing an air brush.

Hi David...

I agree with you. The cheap air brushes will not get you very far. You certainly get what you pay for.

You might as well start with the best like we all did with Märklin, and start building you skill the "right way".

By the way, Iwata air brushes are up there in terms of quality and functionality. David, how did you learn to air brush? You Tube?

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated
Offline applor  
#13 Posted : 11 August 2020 06:40:36(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I use an Aztek A430 with an ebay compressor/tank kit and I use mostly Tamiya acrylics which are excellent for airbrushing.

I airbrushed all my track and also use it for painting kits and weathering. Yet to paint any loks/rollingstock but that's the last thing I'll get to.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline cookee_nz  
#14 Posted : 11 August 2020 08:41:34(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Ranjit Go to Quoted Post
Hey David...

(snip)

Regarding the "control boxes", I was waiting for Tom and Anders to sort out their misunderstandings !!

Cheers,
Ranjit

Lol, It'll be a frosty morning on the surface of the sun before that happens!!

There is no "misunderstanding", it's all part of their plan. Secretly they are actually the best of friends and just like to spar to entertain the rest of us. BigGrin BigGrin
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Ranjit  
#15 Posted : 11 August 2020 15:27:39(UTC)
Ranjit

Don't I know that !!

Cheers,
Ranjit

#Get Vaccinated