Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline brett  
#1 Posted : 18 July 2020 03:00:27(UTC)
brett

Australia   
IMG_7459.PNG (2,287kb) downloaded 65 time(s). IMG_7461.PNG (2,058kb) downloaded 60 time(s). IMG_7460.PNG (1,935kb) downloaded 44 time(s). IMG_7458.PNG (1,769kb) downloaded 60 time(s).

hi guys I have brought a train set for my son and can't seem to get it running? the smaller older train was working and after a little drop of the tableCrying it stoped working, then we got him a new engine thinking that would be easier than repair but it doesn't work either.
it does:
trains lights come on but doesn't move
sounds like it is trying to move the motor

please help

train marlin ho br 18 3518 (I think)
I have the 3 rail track
marklin 32va transformer
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 18 July 2020 05:01:17(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Quick check to see if you are getting voltage to the track? Do the lights come on with either loco?

The br18 is from the 35 series, so is analogue with a five pole motor, should run really nicely when you get it operational.
Offline brett  
#3 Posted : 18 July 2020 07:50:35(UTC)
brett

Australia   
Thanks for getting back to me, yes lights come on, when trains on tracks and not turned up (the transformer) they aren’t but get brighter as you ramp up the dial.
Should the wheels on the train move if I try to move them when it’s not on the track? They don’t at the moment
Offline mvd71  
#4 Posted : 18 July 2020 09:03:50(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Try gently moving the wheels to see if they are free. It's quite common for a loco to get gummed up with old oil if it has been sitting for a long time. If this is the case it may require a strip down and clean out of the motor and gears, or you may get away with a drop of lighter fluid or IPA on each end of the motor armature to dissolve the old oil. Once it's moving it can be given a drop of new oil.
Offline brett  
#5 Posted : 18 July 2020 11:31:52(UTC)
brett

Australia   
Thankyou I have found it hard to find any information on taking it apart? I have had a look and can’t find any screws to undo? I thought one might be down the smoke stack but if there is I can’t undo it, don’t want to break it
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 18 July 2020 15:52:15(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Brett
Welcome to the forum. Obviously you have voltage on the track
The old loco is a 3000. It is pretty indestructible. It opens with a screw located on one of the domes
My best guess is that the slider got bent or damaged. Check also if the slider is tight (there is a screw).

On the other loco 3518: it is a 5 star traction (non-digital but smooth acceleration, deceleration) Did you have a demonstration when you purchased it. It was manufactured between 1988 and 1992 so if not used during all this time, you need to check if the motor / gears are not stuck. On this loco, one of the domes is plastic and removable. It hides the one screw needed to remove the case.
First make sure it gets power: does the lights turn on? Don't leave the power on long if the motor is stuck it may damage it after 10 seconds or so.

Another possibility is after a long time, the brushes do not make contact with the motor so push gently each of the brushes with a pencil to see if it starts rotating.

Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 19 July 2020 10:30:46(UTC)
Goofy

Your son´s locomotive are old model and it seems it needs renovate with the service by a Märklin doctor.
I believe you need to shop some details to change out old details.
Like brushes for the motor and clean up cog wheels.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline brett  
#8 Posted : 20 July 2020 00:01:28(UTC)
brett

Australia   
Thanks guys will do