Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ocram63_uk  
#1 Posted : 16 July 2020 11:10:24(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
After months of frustration and disenchantment I decided to put away my little layout and trains and wait for better times, mainly my own house with a room for a layout.

Frustration because Marklin has disappointed me way way too much when I look back at my pain while trying to get the 39680 and 39120 to work when changing decoder params.
Yes they are MFX locos, so why bother altering perfection ?
Yes they are plug and play, Marklinists can't be bothered with what is under the hood.
I don't like NOT being allowed to tweak a loco. I've been told that MFX does not with CVs so why instruction booklets of MFX locos refer to a minimal set of CV you can play with?
I have a control station by ESU, possibly not the best anymore, and MFX decoders from ESU. They are not compatible.
Is my mind not open enough to deal with these impediments ? Probably, but I'm a practical guy so things either work or not, don't bother having to look too in depth as life is too short.
This was a hobby but from the early introduction of digital it veered into another realm, IMO.
At least, referring to me, I spend more time trying to fix and adapt things than playing with the silly things.
The forum threads I see most often than not are frequently related to digital stuff not behaving as expected, why ?

I will not to buy anymore 39XXX engines in the future, if there will be a future with trains at all.
A triple switch keeps giving me problems when locos with a short pick up shoe, i.e. BR 86 stop dead, when taking the left branch.
All locos with longer pick up shoes do nor have this problem.
Marklin spares can not be found anymore for locos that are not that old at all while you can still find spares for older locos, i.e. 30XX series and the lot.

Is digital an improvement in our lives or not ? I don't think so.
The Lenz 01 I started with in the early 2000 was a lot better.
The IB 1 was an improvement on the Lenz, simple although clumsy with all those buttons.
I was very happy when the MS1 first came out but was disappointed fairly early when the speed nob started failing after a while.
The ESU ECoS was a leap forward but IMO it is now way behind for what it costs and offres.
The Marklin CS3 is not in my wish list.
I tried JMRA, to add something different, but I've removed Java from my computer so this new road has been halted in its infancy.

I admire all you guys that like to put so much time and effort in your digital projects, but how much time do you actually spend running trains without worries ?

Analog was much much better, complicated wiring I admit, but easier to run.
Definitely not going back to it though as I will always keep it simple.

Anyway, enough is enough, I'll continue reading the forum but not participating much as many arguments have stopped interesting me.
Thank you for the support you gave me through the years, really appreciated.
Take care and stay safe everybody.
Marco

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline mbarreto  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2020 12:07:18(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

if you like analogue, just go for it.
the locomotives of old times are no so detailed but they are much simpler and robust and also provide a lot fo fun....

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline hxmiesa  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2020 14:59:24(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Well, I certainly understand your point of view. -Because that is EXACTLY what I thought, when considering digitzing or staying analogue.

Mind you, that my professional job has always been working with computers. Both hardware and software. (I´m working with industrial automatization; communications, PLC´s and scadas)
I already spend a lot of time of my day updating firmware, actualizing software. Going through matrixés of compatibility of what firmware revision goes with what hardware revision, what version PLC programming tool you need for it, and what version of Windows it will run on.
That´s the LEAST fun part of being a programmer.
So definetly a thing I wanted to avoid with my trains.

Seeing where the model railroad world were going, I decided to stay with analogue.
It has been quite hard, but I´m not regretting it.

SURE, the wiring can get tedious, and you certainly have to live with ancient problems like no sound and lights that goes off when the train is stopped.
Super-smooth accelerations are the worst part to miss out on, so I developped my own analogue system for that. More cabling, but works well enough for me...

In your case, Marco, have you considered going "back to basics"?
I mean; Depending on what you like about trains, analogue might be good enough for you, if you dont need all the bells and whistles (litterally) that digital can give you.
If what counts for you is to watch the trains run, maybe through a nicely decorated landscape, then you dont need digital for that at all!!!
IF, on the other hand, you are more into running a single engine on an oval on top of the dining-table, running it at a dead-slow crawling speed, while trying out lots of different lights and sounds combinations, then you will not be happy with analogue... ;-)
I will also be so bold as to say that analogue is easier on the wallet. (-or to be more realistic; What you dont spend on decoders and controllers you can spend on more rolling stock!)

If you think that digital control is absolutly needed in order to handle a big station in analogue, you should look up "Z-Schaltung" on how to wire up more complex situations...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline DaleSchultz  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2020 15:13:00(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Understandable.

I think mFx is on the whole a complete gimmick. Said so since it was announced. Don't know how many posts I have seen about the controller not finding an mfX loco.

The quality of software is critical, not just with trains, all products with any sort of digital functionality. Working software is not good enough, it has to be very good software. That is why I decided to write my own and I fully appreciate that is not for everyone, and nor should people have to. The manufacturers don't understand the software side at all.

Analog is solid and sound like has what you want to do. What about adapting the layout to something more analog appropriate, long runs with fewer stops, etc. (or whatever the analog hurdles are.)

These are stressful times, (and just getting going here in the USA) so don't unload your trains yet, take a break and think of making some dioramas.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline jcrtrains  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2020 15:37:54(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
I have often considered digital but I have to admit, there is something very reliable about my 1960's/70's style control system. Reliability is important, and I rarely have any issues.

sIMG_20200716_092527.JPG
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline Michael4  
#6 Posted : 16 July 2020 15:40:23(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Part of the analogue fun(?) is that you find yourself building things that have an old fashioned logic about them.

The underneath of my layout looks bad, there is no other way of saying it, but at least the cabling chaos is colour coded. When I go back to the layout in the autumn I will find that I can't remember what half of it does. Such fun...and cheap fun too! Come spring it will be a little bit more sorted and perhaps a little bit more complex. Layer upon layer.

Another aspect of analogue that I enjoy is bringing old rolling stock back to life. It doesn't matter to me if it is a bit battered but to see the stuff running smoothly again is fun too and sorting out bent and twisted pantographs will keep me busy for days.

I like to keep the layout flexible so that I can change things, but then it is M track which is either entirely inflexible or very flexible depending on the way you look at it.

The above gives me a sense of satisfaction that I do not get from the digital environment, indeed I have gone back to using a film camera...
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 16 July 2020 15:55:45(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
I think mFx is on the whole a complete gimmick. Said so since it was announced. Don't know how many posts I have seen about the controller not finding an mfX loco.
I like digital operation, but I hated mfx right from the start.
mfx is Märklin's patent-protected attempt to increase their profits.
Many things would be much simpler without mfx - with all companies supporting NMRA DCC and RailCom.

mfx is flawed, automatic mfx registration is flawed.

Good news is that newer Märklin locos also support NMRA DCC - but, of course, without RailCom...
But this does not make older mfx locos less annoying.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 16 July 2020 16:47:33(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I just fire up the CS3 and any new loco registers and off it goes. I have a couple of Piko locos and have no trouble with them. I am different in that what I buy is what I want have no need to change anything. I rarely mix other manufacturers stuff with Marklin and from what I read on here when doing this it creates problems in particular with software. However I do like driving my locos and mainly set up events for routes. Had trouble in the past with a Brawa loco and trying to sort it was not easy but with an ESU decoder I got there in the end.
There will always be faulty goods of all types at times but with model rail I find hardly any problems. My CS2 died after ten years but I reckon I had my monies worth.
Model trains are toys and as such there is a high profit margin from the original cost. Been in the hobby for 50 years or so and have worked up from the old Hornby stuff to the Marklin of today. I enjoy every minute of it.
I appreciate that some want to drive a steamer using a mobile phone or change CVs and decoders and use all sorts of software and that can of course be another part of the hobby and requires skills that I dont have so I just enjoy what comes out of the box and for me it works.
Main thing is have fun.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 16 July 2020 23:32:25(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
I have a control station by ESU, possibly not the best anymore, and MFX decoders from ESU. They are not compatible.

Hi Marco
I assume the source of your frustration is not using a CS2 or CS3. Then IMO you have access to all parameters. At least I have absolutely no problem as I use a CS2 in programming MFX locos and fully programming mSD3 decoders. It is a pity that you would stop using such a good product.
To be fair to you Märklin warns that using CVs the normal way may lead to malfunctioning.
Also it is true that we tend to spend more and more time on software (I am using Rocrail) and if your taste is toward normal / manual operation why not of course.

mFx is on the whole a complete gimmick. Said so since it was announced. Don't know how many posts I have seen about the controller not finding an mfX loco.

Dale you have a point: there is an MFX weakness in registration but I think it is very good once you are very careful not interfering with MFX during registration. Indeed there could be situations where you need another MFX source (my alternate is a old MS1) to sort out some registration issues
Cheers
Jean

Offline applor  
#10 Posted : 16 July 2020 23:57:09(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I think digital is the best thing to happen to model trains. No other way lets me setup complex routes and automatic operation.
Even without PC control, digital greatly simplifies layout construction - just click it together and put whatever locos you want to drive. No separate transformers and isolation tabs and power toggles etc.

I agree MFX has its issues at times but for the most part it works and is simple. The majority of issues with MFX is registration and simple CV config, both of which aren't a problem for DCC/MM.
MFX have a 'CV configuration space' which can be changed using CS2/3, both Marklin products. I would have thought the ESU Ecos could also change the CV config space of MFX locos but don't have one to test.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline kimballthurlow  
#11 Posted : 17 July 2020 00:17:52(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Marco,
I completely understand your frustration.

As David Dewar says ".... another part of the hobby requires skills that I dont have so I just enjoy what comes out of the box and for me it works.
Main thing is have fun.
".
I also subscribe to this view of the hobby, by not trying anything beyond my comprehension.
If it does not work for me, I quickly discard it.

And I have old Hornby Dublo 3 rail (1950s) which I run when tired of any digital complexities.

Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 17 July 2020 00:37:27(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Many things would be much simpler without mfx - with all companies supporting NMRA DCC and RailCom.

Good news is that newer Märklin locos also support NMRA DCC - but, of course, without RailCom...

Like Dave, I've never had any issues with mFx.......on CS1, CS2 and Ecos (1st generation) controllers, which I have.

Am I missing something?
Offline mvd71  
#13 Posted : 17 July 2020 07:39:39(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Some people seem to be lucky and get a good run with their trains, but there does seem to be a large number of people who are having trouble with both the digital controllers and the reliability of the locos.
I have seen a number of locos across my workbench that have had issues at low mileage, and I have begun to feel that quality is something the went out the door about the time mfx was introduced.
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 17 July 2020 09:34:42(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Like Dave, I've never had any issues with mFx.......on CS1, CS2 and Ecos (1st generation) controllers, which I have.
Am I missing something?
Some guys have all the luck.

mfx lacks the reliability and predictability I expect when operating locos.

I had two Märklin mfx locos that came without serial number in the decoder, causing all sorts of problems. Where is QA when you need it?
And that is just the tip of the ice cube.

See also:
http://blog.mailez.de/eb...-frustrating-experience/
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline ocram63_uk  
#15 Posted : 17 July 2020 10:22:51(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Digital is the way forward and has been more and more so from the moment of its conception. No turning back.
The only reliable protocol is DCC, IMO
Never had problems with these type of decoders, the only ones that are low quality are the Motorola ones that come in the loco conversion kits
I have to admit though that nobody needs 255 CVs to run a loco, this is insane.
Retrofitting old Marklin locos has been fun, with modern DCC decoders they run even better.
MFX sucks and even with multi-protocol controllers you can't do anything with it, which is bad.
But, as I said, MFX locos will not enter anymore my home. :-)
Who knows what the market will offer when I'll, maybe, resume playing with trains in the future.
Shopping for trains has become a hassle, not as many shops around where you can go and touch and see things for real, especially if you live in England, but I think that even Down Under the situation is the same.
Certainly I will not switch to Hornby :-)
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline river6109  
#16 Posted : 17 July 2020 11:01:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I don't have and never had any problems with MFX because I don't have any mfx decoders., one thing annoyed me about Märklin right from the beginning (not the Motorola digital system) but thereafter when everybody else had an open protocol leading the way with NRMA. BUT NO, NOT Märklin, as Tom mentioned Märklin wanted it all for its self and MFX was the beginning and the end for Märklin loco decoders and yes it is insane to have 255 CV's and more options are introduced how to fine tune your loco decoder.
Its my personal choice and I don't have anything against Märklin, I still buy the odd 36... series.

I have braking modules ((at least 50 of them) which are based on the Märklin braking modules but at a 90% cheaper price, I have servo motors from ESU which are 100% more reliable than Märklin turnout motors or the under board mechanism, I have my own opto couplers instead of unreliable switching tracks, all my loco motors have ball bearings because its the right thing to do and Märklin has never followed it through to put it right., when I add wheels with rubber tyres to my locos it costs me about Euro 5.00 (Roco or Piko), when I intend to do this with Märklin locos it costs me Euro 30.00 per wheel.

One could think, what's he complaining about, he's got a 65m² layout, nearly 200 locos, most of them with sound decoders, X amount of rolling stock and he's winging about a few dollars, well the money pit is no longer as plentiful as it used to be and to enjoy my hobby and the things I like to do, measures had to be implemented to save money where ever I can and making mistakes can cost a lot of money, so making decisions before hand is very vital and Märklin unfortunately hasn't given me the confidence to pursue future purchases.
When it comes to running trains, we had our problems and slowly we're getting on top of it and one could say one has to have patience to put up with it., its not every bodies cup of tea, especially when you get on with age, I've got 2 options work on the layout until its fully functional or go out in the garden and picking weeds for months.
you've decided to go with a dog product but you're doing all the barking, maybe some strategic thinking is required what you like and what you don't like., instead of giving up the hobby, rethink your options as I have done and than you only can blame yourself if anything goes wrong but at least you should be able to put things right.
buying Märklin stuff down under except ebay or other forums is more or less impossible, especially locos, prices are to high for the conscious buyer

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Copenhagen  
#17 Posted : 17 July 2020 11:04:02(UTC)
Copenhagen

I have both DCC trains and mfx trains that I have fun running with my CS3 (and occasionally an MS2... oh and iPad and Samsung mobile phone too). The CS3 is a great tool and designed to work well with different protocols (as far as I know) and lots of people also use it with computer software (like windigipet and the likes).
I've had my share of minor technical and electrical issues with different brands of rolling stock (changing couplers, modifying and trimming bodyworks, correcting and changing wheels, applying conductive paint on a double slip switch, adjusting pick up shoes etc. etc) but al in all it's a great hobby and I don't regret going the AC Maerklin way and not the DC two-track way.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline Bones  
#18 Posted : 17 July 2020 13:50:59(UTC)
Bones

Australia   
This is my 2 cents worth - Not being highly adept at wiring and things like that I chose Marklin for that main reason

After some hesitation because of cost I decided to convert all my loco's to digital because I found having to deal that stupid spring annoying

And now I have bought the CS3 I like it and will try to get the most I can out of it's control features - Running events and such - I still enjoy running my trains and will hopefully be
able to do it again once I have built my new layout - I never wanted a large collection and what I have is enough for me

We all need something to help pass the time and keep us sane and this hobby does that for me

Enjoy it while you can I lost my brother not long ago he never got to enjoy this hobby the way I have

You forget how precious things are until you let them go - you may never get it back

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bones
Offline kiwiAlan  
#19 Posted : 17 July 2020 14:14:52(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

I have to admit though that nobody needs 255 CVs to run a loco, this is insane.

Hmm, well the Loksound 4 decoders have somewhere around 1,000 CVs, Loksound 5 have somewhere around 2,000 CVs ... Blink

I suspect the marklin msd/3 decoders are probably approaching similar numbers ... Crying

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline ocram63_uk  
#20 Posted : 17 July 2020 15:00:09(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Agree with all of you.
That is why I've put away everything, waiting for the light to illuminate me again :-)

CONS
1) frustration for things not working
2) what do I want from it. do I still want it ?
3) how to enjoy myself with trains given that I spent most of my time fixing things instead of running them
4) stick to Marklin rolling stock. I sold all the 2 rail stuff I had to lower the levels of frustration
5) can't buy a new digital controller given the extortionate price they ask for the cheap HW they sell us. The ECoS will stay until it dies.

PROS

Cheers
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline mbarreto  
#21 Posted : 17 July 2020 15:17:03(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

There is also the human nature to have into account, I mean, relative to hobbies, there are periods of time when we are 100% into them and other periods when we are almost disconnected. To me this happens a bit, I don't 100% in/100% out, but lets say that in general I am much more into trains in months from October to April and more out of it in the other months where I am more into other aspects of life.

In this forum sometimes yuo may not see this behaviour because many of us are so deep into model railroading that even when they are more out you can not notice it :)

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline PJMärklin  
#22 Posted : 17 July 2020 15:59:17(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
After months of frustration and disenchantment I decided to put away my little layout and trains and wait for better times, mainly my own house with a room for a layout. ... Is digital an improvement in our lives or not ? I don't think so. ... I admire all you guys that like to put so much time and effort in your digital projects, but how much time do you actually spend running trains without worries ?... Analog was much much better, complicated wiring I admit, but easier to run. ... Definitely not going back to it though as I will always keep it simple. ...
Marco

Hello Marco,

Please, please do "Take it Easy" :

(I am in that audience, though hard to spot !!!) so do, take it easy and consider a simplified digital Märklin, let me explain my own journey Smile :

Like most of us, I was originally in analogue (again a late-comer to Märklin, not counting childhood Hornby Doublo) from about 1983.
Then a house move (mainly because the prospective new house had a great potential trainroom Blushing ) prompted a new medium-sized layout in 1995 and I decided the correct move was to digital. I have never regretted this.

My digital initiative was into the era of 6021.

In my trainroom I like to have direct and immediate control of every locomotive that is running on my layout (eight of them on the four main tracks plus movements in the station area, freight yard, and electric, diesel and steam service facilities). For that reason alone, despite the eventual digital mastercontroller “advances”, I did not progress to the subsequent “control many-but only two at an instant time-in one device”Laugh setups.

For me it is about keeping it simple so I can spend most of my time running my trains. I am not interested in siting back and watching a computer running my trains - I want to do that directly myself, not just on the main lines, but more interestingly in station movements shunting and to-and-through movements involving the electric, diesel and steam facilities. I do, however, enjoy frequent sorties into electrical/electronic/digital constructions with my locomotives together with their control.Wink

So I remain with my 6021 systemCool :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I have avoided engaging with MFX - even though many of my later Märklin locos (and two PIKO @ "M4" !) qualify.
This is mostly because of KIS,S but also the concerning comments I have noted on this forum and I remain with a simple Motorola protocol.
I may walk with the dinosaurs but I have had no problems at all and believe I can fully enjoy my trains with five "functions".
For the last seven years on this forum (I am a “Johnny-come-lately” to this forum) I have bitten my tongue through what seems to be myriads of complaints about the subsequent generations of Märklin digital controllers and systems.

I have never had any such concerns with my “old-fashioned” 6021 control system but I must admit to having been somewhat disloyal in using only ESU decoders in my 6080 upgrades and in ensuing analogue loco acquisition conversions for some years; I can then adjust them very nicely to my preferences with my ESU LokProgrammer.

We all have a valued opinion on this forum, this is just my own experience – to each his own Smile - I certainly respect the opinion of those that are at variance with mine. I think we all have individual reasons as to why we continue to gain enjoyment from and stay in this hobby with Märklin.

Regards,

PJBigGrin
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Copenhagen  
#23 Posted : 17 July 2020 18:18:33(UTC)
Copenhagen

5) can't buy a new digital controller given the extortionate price they ask for the cheap HW they sell us. The ECoS will stay until it dies.
Cheers

"Extortionate price"... hmmm. The price is not higher than the Maerklin Big Boy (roughly) or about two of their mid-priced locomotives with sound. Of course it's painful to spend more money on a controller if you already have a high end controller.
Offline ocram63_uk  
#24 Posted : 17 July 2020 18:20:16(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
PJ, loooovely layout.
I'm taking it easy and this is why I put away everything. I did not want to feel emotionally harassed when passing in front of my layout :-)
No shunting, head station, one loop and direction reverse. It wasn't interesting enough.
The previous had out and inner loop, but again on shunting.
To shunt in both I had to stop running one of the trains and then resume running. Not practical.
I do not know what I want anymore or if I still want it.
Putting it away made the problem disappear and one day in the future I will resume or not. I will have to wait and see. Space has always been a problem for me.
But maybe it is just an excuse.
The good thing is that I save money and don't spend anymore :-)
I just hope my son and daughter finish university soon so that I might start to enjoy a bit of extra cash !!!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline ocram63_uk  
#25 Posted : 17 July 2020 18:30:00(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Copenhagen, they are extortionate prices. A mere piece of plastic and metal 600 Euros / Dollars / Pounds ? You must be joking. The ECoS was made with old HW not the latest state of the art.
Anyway, I'm happy for all those people that can spend 600 or more euros on a locomotive. I feel guilty when I spend 150 :-)
That is why I preferred to buy second hand models :-)

But these are my opinions and problems and fortunately not the whole world has them.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#26 Posted : 17 July 2020 19:07:57(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Copenhagen, they are extortionate prices. A mere piece of plastic and metal 600 Euros / Dollars / Pounds ? You must be joking.

What unit are you talking about here? Your description doesn't match any Marklin controller i know of.

The ECoS was made with old HW not the latest state of the art.

It was using state of the art hardware when first introduced.

Offline ocram63_uk  
#27 Posted : 17 July 2020 19:38:46(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Alan, I was referring to the Big Boy locomotive.
Offline river6109  
#28 Posted : 18 July 2020 06:00:06(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
PJ, 3
I'm surprised you're not using the advantage with ESU decoders whereas you can engage 4 motorola Aux numbers which will give you a total of 16

John
Offline David Dewar  
#29 Posted : 18 July 2020 11:28:01(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
CS3 may appear expensive but should last for years and provide all the control most of us will ever need. All model rail is expensive when starting but from then on buying a loco each year does not appear costly for a hobby and a few plastic kits keeps things moving along.
Marco this must be the longest goodbye we have had which to me looks like you really want to keep going with the hobby so keep going my friend and dont give up. Plan a future layout and maybe build a new station to keep the interest going.

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline ocram63_uk  
#30 Posted : 18 July 2020 12:42:57(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
David, how long can a goodbye be ? :-)
This one is very engaging, that's for sure :-)

At the moment I'm trying to restore a vintage fountain pen.
Others have been extremely easy, this one is turning into a nightmare. But I'm learning :-)

No time for trains, plus with what should be summer who wants to stay inside ?
Lock down has been a godsend for me used at passing every week on airplanes for work.
I like visiting new places and meeting interesting people all over Europe and Emirates.
Now I'm a bit bored of staying at home :-(

Last night a friend of mine sent me a video of his new Italian steamer in N being run in. I did not stir any emotion. Sadly.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#31 Posted : 18 July 2020 14:01:49(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
Please, please do "Take it Easy"

Nah, I'd rather...

and buy more locos!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline river6109  
#32 Posted : 18 July 2020 14:44:24(UTC)
river6109

Australia   

Nah, I'd rather...

and buy more locos!

it must be the most selfish hobby:
would you like to share your collection with me: bugger off;
could I borrow your loco for a day or two ? sorry its not working;
how much could I buy this loco for ? its priceless
could you please help me with my layout ? sorry my wife doesn't let me out of the house because of the virus;
I've started again with my train set and I'm the proud owner of 2 locos, how many have you got ? I've stopped counting

Offline TEEWolf  
#33 Posted : 18 July 2020 16:22:23(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
I've started again with my train set and I'm the proud owner of 2 locos, how many have you got ? I've stopped counting

... but I have started to build a new garage for the locos.Blink Love
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline fkowal  
#34 Posted : 18 July 2020 19:06:27(UTC)
fkowal

Canada   
It is always sad when one of our community throws in the towel out of frustration with the hobby.

There are some guidelines I have adhered to in order to keep the scope for problems to a minimum. I want to have fun with my trains and avoid them causing me problems. I certainly have enough of those outside of my train hobby.

I stick to some fundamental guidelines for my hobby to help maximize my enjoyment. They are:

1) Pick your system (2 rail or 3 rail). There are enough fans of each system. Do not try to be a hero and combine systems. There are some people out there who have a need to run 2 rail and 3 rail on “K” track as an example.

2) Pick your decoder language. Now it has simplified to a decision largely between Märklin MFX and DCC. Sure you can try to mix some of this with some of that. I do not mix, I run all my locomotives on Marklin Motorola or MFX. DCC is probably better, but it is too late for me to change. Also stick to one brand of loco decoder if at all possible. I have mostly Maerklin, with ESU as a distant second for those hard to convert locomotives. Are these the best? Probably not, but I then only have to familiarize myself with the quirks from 2 manufacturers.

3) Pick your control station based upon your decision from (2). If MFX is your choice then go with a Central Station because it has the greater likelihood of always working now and in the future with MFX. If DCC is your choice then go with a different manufacturer (ESU, Uhlenbrock, Viessmann etc.) which is DCC focused. I would not mix a ESU controller with an all MFX loco stable. What for? Yes, it can be done, but is it easy? Does the upside exceed the downside of this decision?

4) Design your layout keeping in mind ease of repair. Many of us have been filled with rage at a failing turnout motor. For me this was a valuable lesson. I now stay away from turnouts and signals which have built-in decoders. I stick with the old style K83, K84 decoders which are accessible and can be easily swapped out should a failure occur. Yes, the newest Maerklin MFX signals are lovely, but I stick to the old style simply because it is easier for me to manage. It is not state of the art, but then so what?

5) CV’s, CV’s and more CV’s. Can’t live with them, can’t live without them. I am building my layout and hope to have a mainline operational in a couple of months, so fine tuning CV’s is a challenge I still have ahead of me. Volumes have been written on this topic and my interpretation is that decoder manufacturers are trying the make the ultimate universal decoder suitable to all operating systems and motor types. An admirable task, but unnecessary for me. I seek a simple, effective, easy to use decoder for a motor type and decoder language of my choice. I do hope Maerklin’s decoders fulfill this expectation for my situation.

6) I have a local friend who has an absolutely mind blowing collection of over 250 locomotives. He is running analog 2 rail DC and cannot bear the expense of a massive digital conversion. He is very intrigued by digital technology. I have asked him why he does not digitize his layout (signals, turnsouts etc) while keeping the track power analog. He can benefit from computerized train control and simplified wiring and not have a single CV to ruin his day. In brief, consider using digital selectively where it provides you enjoyment.

7) Cost. Many people fret about how expensive new locomotives are. When I take a look at them, and consider the detail, the paint work, the many parts to manufacture and assemble, the electronics, the relatively small manufacturing volume, and I am amazed by how LITTLE they cost. Now cost and my ability to pay are two different things. I too am very happy with 20 to 30 year old locomotives. Yes, the ones with noisy spur gear drives. I am very happy to give used locomotives from eBay a new home where they are loved. They are also more in the range of my ability to pay for them. Being a rivet counter is the key to unhappiness.

8) I try to stick with one rolling stock manufacturer. I am 99% Marklin, but have recently purchased a new Roco (Austrian Class 1245 as I figured Maerklin would never make it) and a Brawa E75 Digital Basic model. The Brawa model is a half price EBay purchase and has a worm gear drive, Chinese motor, metal cast chassis, and a plastic body just like the Marklin version which is based upon a Trix design. I was curious about what other manufacturers can do, but I have done this with wide open eyes. I stick to Maerklin rolling stock unless you want to consider getting involved with wheel exchanges and potential coupler exchanges.

The hobby has evolved to an unbelievable sophistication. There seem to be two types of hobbyists out there, the ones who love trains, and others who love the electronics and computerization possibilities and have trains as a means to demonstrate them.

I hope newcomers our hobby take cautious steps to avoid being overwhelmed.
Frank

thanks 16 users liked this useful post by fkowal
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#35 Posted : 19 July 2020 00:32:23(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

That's the opinion of the writer and certainly not one I was trying to convey, I just like that Eagles song and when PJ posted an Eagles song......
Offline river6109  
#36 Posted : 19 July 2020 05:50:25(UTC)
river6109

Australia   

That's the opinion of the writer and certainly not one I was trying to convey, I just like that Eagles song and when PJ posted an Eagles song......

Dave, it wasn't meant to be personal and it wasn't intended or directed to anyone on this forum

John

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline PJMärklin  
#37 Posted : 19 July 2020 11:46:19(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

Nah, I'd rather...

(... take it to the limit ...)

and buy more locos!

But David, that would make you a ... Desperado ... OhMyGod :

(Magnificent !) Laugh

Offline Harryv40  
#38 Posted : 19 July 2020 12:08:35(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi I know how you feel!
I started, like most people with Triang, followed by N Gauge, but my fingers failed me so I purchased Marklin 3 rail!

I think this was a mistake, I expected better running with three rail, but overlay this with digital and my little hair gets pulled out.

I have problems in the UK with trying to keep the software of my mobile station up to date. I cannot afford a central station, cv issues are testy.

Trying to keep track clean in another issue, I only have a very small layout, 2mts by 1mts, but it in a small bedroom along with other stuff, so get round with cleaning wagons or iso presents problems.

I know it’s horses for courses, but I just enjoy them trains going round, keeping the speed down to try and make it life like. Marklin are starting to price out individuals like me, so I look elsewhere, Piko, Roco or second hand. I sell some of my locos on eBay to release funds to offset the costs of new locos.

And I have give up several times, but I keep coming back, to enjoy the trains!

Harry
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Harryv40
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#39 Posted : 19 July 2020 12:39:21(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
But David, that would make you a ... Desperado ... OhMyGod :

Nope, it just gives me a

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#40 Posted : 19 July 2020 12:42:48(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
... take it to the limit ...

Also known as the Credit Card song......

Take it to the limit one more time!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline danmarklinman  
#41 Posted : 19 July 2020 15:03:47(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Can’t say I’ve had any issues with MFX, but until recently I’ve only mainly had Marklin MFX which has always worked. So why complicate things with Dcc. It took me a few minutes to load a Dcc loco on my ms2.
In my mind if you keep your layout simple, it creates a life long layout with little or know stress.
I operate my trains as a digital, but my points are all old style. Again nice and simple.
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline danmarklinman  
#42 Posted : 19 July 2020 15:10:32(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
After months of frustration and disenchantment I decided to put away my little layout and trains and wait for better times, mainly my own house with a room for a layout. ... Is digital an improvement in our lives or not ? I don't think so. ... I admire all you guys that like to put so much time and effort in your digital projects, but how much time do you actually spend running trains without worries ?... Analog was much much better, complicated wiring I admit, but easier to run. ... Definitely not going back to it though as I will always keep it simple. ...
Marco

Hello Marco,

(I am in that audience, though hard to spot !!!) so do, take it easy and consider a simplified digital Märklin, let me explain my own journey Smile :

Like most of us, I was originally in analogue (again a late-comer to Märklin, not counting childhood Hornby Doublo) from about 1983.
Then a house move (mainly because the prospective new house had a great potential trainroom Blushing ) prompted a new medium-sized layout in 1995 and I decided the correct move was to digital. I have never regretted this.

In my trainroom I like to have direct and immediate control of every locomotive that is running on my layout (eight of them on the four main tracks plus movements in the station area, freight yard, and electric, diesel and steam service facilities). For that reason alone, despite the eventual digital mastercontroller “advances”, I did not progress to the subsequent “control many-but only two at an instant time-in one device”Laugh setups.

For me it is about keeping it simple so I can spend most of my time running my trains. I am not interested in siting back and watching a computer running my trains - I want to do that directly myself, not just on the main lines, but more interestingly in station movements shunting and to-and-through movements involving the electric, diesel and steam facilities. I do, however, enjoy frequent sorties into electrical/electronic/digital constructions with my locomotives together with their control.Wink

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I have avoided engaging with MFX - even though many of my later Märklin locos (and two PIKO @ "M4" !) qualify.
This is mostly because of KIS,S but also the concerning comments I have noted on this forum and I remain with a simple Motorola protocol.
I may walk with the dinosaurs but I have had no problems at all and believe I can fully enjoy my trains with five "functions".
For the last seven years on this forum (I am a “Johnny-come-lately” to this forum) I have bitten my tongue through what seems to be myriads of complaints about the subsequent generations of Märklin digital controllers and systems.

I have never had any such concerns with my “old-fashioned” 6021 control system but I must admit to having been somewhat disloyal in using only ESU decoders in my 6080 upgrades and in ensuing analogue loco acquisition conversions for some years; I can then adjust them very nicely to my preferences with my ESU LokProgrammer.

We all have a valued opinion on this forum, this is just my own experience – to each his own Smile - I certainly respect the opinion of those that are at variance with mine. I think we all have individual reasons as to why we continue to gain enjoyment from and stay in this hobby with Märklin.

Regards,

PJBigGrin

Nicely put, and a great layout 👍
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline HO Collector  
#43 Posted : 19 July 2020 16:32:01(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   

At the moment I'm trying to restore a vintage fountain pen.
Others have been extremely easy, this one is turning into a nightmare. But I'm learning :-)

My step grandfather was part of the Bauhaus movement in Germany he passed away when i was very young, then, at 14 or so I got all his drawing tools and fountain pens, years later it all went into the binCrying Crying

I am still on analogue with only started set with MS2 and will stay like that.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by HO Collector
Offline ocram63_uk  
#44 Posted : 19 July 2020 17:29:41(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Collector, what a disaster !!! Fountain pens into a bin ??? Nooooooooo :-(
Offline marklinist5999  
#45 Posted : 23 February 2021 14:04:07(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Marco

Hello Marco,

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,

PJBigGrin

Nicely put, and a great layout 👍
You have way too much invested to worry about upgrading to MFX controllers. My first Marklin dealer who has long since passed, was upset when the 6021 replaced to original central unit and 80f control. If it isn't broken, don't fix it!

Offline JohnjeanB  
#46 Posted : 23 February 2021 15:43:19(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
Some people seem to be lucky and get a good run with their trains, but there does seem to be a large number of people who are having trouble with both the digital controllers and the reliability of the locos.
I have seen a number of locos across my workbench that have had issues at low mileage, and I have begun to feel that quality is something the went out the door about the time mfx was introduced.

Hi
The MFX weak point is registration: it must not be interrupted otherwise it may lead to situation where the central station refuses the register another time the loco (because it is already in a hidden register).
To avoid problems: when having a new loco, install it on the programming track and apply power AFTERWARDS. Do not do anything during registration (no letting the loco run, have sound, turn the power off). All the other locos are on the main layout and connected.
When doing this, all works like a charm.

What to do when registration problems occur? Install the loco on a different MFX control unit (MS1, MS2, CS1, CS2, CS3) and let it register. Then turn off the sound and the motor and register anew on the other CS unit.

Note: MFX was created by ESU for Märklin (was called "Systems" at the time, and now they call it M4). It has been improved since then by Märklin and the documentation and license is available to other Manufacturers (ESU but also others).

Note: the function "find lost MFX locos" works much better on the CS3. I never was successful recovering "lost" MFX locos with a CS2, but I was with the CS3.

Note: my experience when having a large number of unregistered locos on the main track (32 in my case) it does not work and I had to break down the number of locos simultaneously on to 5 or so.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline auntmartha  
#47 Posted : 23 February 2021 17:39:37(UTC)
auntmartha

Denmark   
Org. poster wrote :

"Analog was much much better, complicated wiring I admit, but easier to run."

My sentiments exactly. Pretty much like comparing my first car - a VW Bus 1976
to my current one - a Subaru 2020.

While I love my Subi and all the electronics - adaptive cruise - lane holder etc etc
I cannot do the smallest repair on it - like I could on the VW Bus.

So for maintenance I go to the dealer.

Problem is that Märklin hardware and software is not as reliable as my Subaru;
perhaps it shouldnt be, but the last thing I want to do if I have 30 minutes
before -she-who-must-be-obeyed- calls, is to toggle computer software;
I just want to turn on the power and watch the trains run.
Yours sincerely / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Bien cordialement
Mr. Christian Vinaa
http://www.vinaa.dk/trains
...... Meanwhile, aunt Martha, having taken a tramp in the woods,
is lying in a ditch at the edge of town .........................
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by auntmartha
Offline Goofy  
#48 Posted : 23 February 2021 18:02:27(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

You are not alone to have problem with Märklins system like mfx.
I did tested to use only DCC with the CS3 and one Märklin loco with DCC protocol adjust.
It does work strange weird like lighting.
I agree with you about mfx and i do like use DCC better than mfx.
I did also tested ESU by use M4 protocol with the CS3.
It works nice but with the DCC protocol and the CS3 there is flawed.
I think and know that Märklin system does not always work as it should be.

Cool

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline mike c  
#49 Posted : 23 February 2021 18:20:00(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The problem with MFX non recognition seems to go away when the original saved entry is deleted. Once deleted, the MS2 detects the loco right away, at least in my experience.
The question is more why the controller does not match the loco with the existing registry.

I would much have preferred if Maerklin would have retained a direct keyboard for accessing addresses.

My biggest beef is when you are accessing a function which requires shift + function and then try to change the speed, but due to overlap, the controller ends up flipping to another loco.

I would rather just enter the address, but I can understand that Maerklin wanted people to shift to MFX with name recognition.

Today, my recent Maerklins have OEM MFX, my new Roco have OEM Zimo (sound) and most of the rest have OEM ESU.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c