Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline David Dewar  
#1 Posted : 02 July 2020 12:40:09(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Have a CS3 event with a loco stopping at stations and giving a toot etc. Thought I would like another loco to do the same on the same line. Deleted the current loco with a view to adding a different one to the same event but all this did was to delete the event.
No problem setting up the original event again but I presume it is not possible to change locos for the same event thus using one event for various different locos.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 02 July 2020 12:51:35(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi David
It seems you have to be loco-specific on a CS2 or CS3
On the other hand with a software like Rocrail I have some generic functions:
- cut off smoke when entring a tunnel
- cutting sound when in shed
To make it work more easily I have normalized the functions on locos
- Steam always F1
- running sound always F2
- Long whitsle always F3
etc
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline clapcott  
#3 Posted : 03 July 2020 09:45:52(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
It is not correct that a given memory(CS2) or event(CS3) is restricted to only one locomotive,

Yes , you do need to select/configure a locomotive when setting up the sequence.
Yes , if you run the sequence directly it will always use the originally configured locomotive

However if you call the memory/event in-directly it will inherit the locomotive ID of the caller.

One way to demonstrate this is to assign the memory/event as a function button of a locomotive.
This is a CS aware function and is not recorded in the (mFX) decoder for use on other CSs.

While this sounds useful , one is stretched to find a use which really does it justice in an automated sense.

It is fine as a manually triggered helper, to chain together repetitive tasks.
An example might be a loco- runaround at the end of a branch line, where the loco has to uncouple (telex on) m pull away past the head turnout, switch the turnout, revere the loco , run through the loop etc etc.

If you have more than one branch locos that perform this task then you may find adding the same memory/event as a unused but common function (e.g. F31) reduces the manual anxiety.

For automated operation there is a need to track a locomotive around the layout so that when you get to the spot for an action, it is the correct loco that triggers the event - i.e. the event inherits the address of the appropriate loco

Peter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 03 July 2020 23:35:32(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Peter
Can the CS2 or CS3 track which loco is where? If yes, then it would allow the CSx to decide to which loco send the info (e.g.: slow down before a signal or send a horn signal before a grade crossing).
I suspect Märklin is moving is this direction on the CS3 but I lack to total picture. Can you please help?
Cheers
Jean
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 04 July 2020 00:10:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Peter
Can the CS2 or CS3 track which loco is where? If yes, then it would allow the CSx to decide to which loco send the info (e.g.: slow down before a signal or send a horn signal before a grade crossing).
I suspect Märklin is moving is this direction on the CS3 but I lack to total picture. Can you please help?
Cheers
Jean

Technically Marklin could track a loco using mfx, but the railcom patent gets in the way and they would have to pay a fee.

I don't know if the cs3 will internally track a loco.
Offline trainbuff  
#6 Posted : 04 July 2020 05:59:46(UTC)
trainbuff

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Have a CS3 event with a loco stopping at stations and giving a toot etc. Thought I would like another loco to do the same on the same line. Deleted the current loco with a view to adding a different one to the same event but all this did was to delete the event.
No problem setting up the original event again but I presume it is not possible to change locos for the same event thus using one event for various different locos.

I just click on the loco in the event and a pop up menu allows me to select another loco in the list. It doesnt seem to matter if I exchange a loco without sound. Then i have the exact same event, but with a different loco. When I just tried it again to make sure it works, the speed setting changed, maybe has something to do with different loco settings.

Hope that answers your question, good luck
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 04 July 2020 15:52:11(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I just click on the loco in the event and a pop up menu allows me to select another loco in the list. It doesnt seem to matter if I exchange a loco without sound. Then i have the exact same event, but with a different loco. When I just tried it again to make sure it works, the speed setting changed, maybe has something to do with different loco settings.

Hope that answers your question, good luck

That does indeed work. As you say some loco settings need to be changed but that is better than having to set up another event and add to the event display which already has many events on it. Useful if you want to run other locos on a single line which is already set up to stop at stations etc.
Many thanks

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline clapcott  
#8 Posted : 06 July 2020 10:24:30(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

It can, but you would waste a lot of time in the setup and it would be hard to make it idiot proof or even realistically versatile (mate bring a train over to run).

Marklin might look to remove the need for the average user to "reprogram their full set of events" with some basic like ..
- drag a loco to a desired location
- retrieve the loco ID from a location programatically
- offer route locking and a means for issuing and retrieving track warrants
- quick-load "timetable" profiles
- provide train profiles (for speeds)
- a bigger screen to work with when configuring and AI to build the route interlocking

However I can not see that Marklin would consider this as providing any sort of ROI.

In my video at ..
https://www.marklin-user...ies-in-events#post614575
You can see that the trains do slow to half speed as they approach the throat of the ladder yard.

The whole premise of the CS3 events (especially the Macros) is that you "prime" a sensor in advance.
i.e. you issue a track warrant and pass it along the blocks of a route.
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 06 July 2020 10:56:52(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Thank you Peter. Sorry I don't have a CS3 yet. Still using a combo of CS2 + Rocrail and checking if the jump to a CS3 is worthwhile.
Your other post / Video is very interesting.
Cheers
Jean