Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hxmiesa  
#1 Posted : 26 June 2020 07:55:51(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Question; Can a digital (mfx?) loco be set up /tweaked digitally, to behave differentely when used in analogue mode? (Specifically; higher speed)

The question in its longer version; I have a rather modern BR151 -probably from a broken up starterset. I dont know the ref., and it came w.o. a box. But it certainly looks MWOB (Mint WithOut Box! BigGrin ). Seller assured me that it was mfx. (or maybe it was mfx+; How can I know?)
It runs beautifully, but on my analogue layout, all trains must run with the same voltage-setting, with each loco individually adjusted with pairs of antiparallel diodes in series with the motor, in order to slow some of them down.
But this one... Albeit very smooooth running, it is somewhat slow.
Could it be set up to run faster if I had an MS2, or some other means of accessing the parameters of the deco?
If so, what parameters are to be changed, and what would be the easiest and/or cheapest way for me to do that?

In hope of a positive answer... Blink
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline pederbc  
#2 Posted : 26 June 2020 11:04:08(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi Henrik,

I’m pretty sure that adjusting cv5 (max speed) will also affect the analog max speed. The basic cv variables are:

Cv1 - locomotive address
Cv2 - start speed (lowest speed)
Cv3 - acceleration
Cv4 - braking
Cv5 - max speed
Cv6 - mid speed

Think of the mid speed as adjusting the speed curve. Anyway, it’s the cv5 you should change.

”The Dane in Spain plays mainly with the train” 😎 (sorry, an outburst of the poet inside of me)

Best regards, Peder
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pederbc
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 26 June 2020 12:01:17(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: pederbc Go to Quoted Post
Cv6 - mid speed
mfx decoders usually do not have a mid speed variable. There is a speed curve table with 16 values, the default settings are progressive.
Setting a linear curve or pushing the middle even up a bit further could make the loco run faster.

Max speed is usually set to the maximum ex works.

If the loco came from a private seller then maybe they played with max speed and other settings before selling it.

There are some decoder settings specific for analogue operation and they may have potential to make the loco a bit faster.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline hxmiesa  
#4 Posted : 26 June 2020 14:45:01(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

If the loco came from a private seller then maybe they played with max speed and other settings before selling it.
There are some decoder settings specific for analogue operation and they may have potential to make the loco a bit faster.

Even though the loc was bought from a hobby-shop (as a 2nd hand item), there is no way of knowing what happened to it before. I only know that it has hardly seen any use.

I wonder what other decoder setting (apart from speed) that could be beneficial in analog operation? Lights? Sounds? Smoke? (Not in THIS particular case, of course) -What CV´s are you thinking of?

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 26 June 2020 17:32:37(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
What CV´s are you thinking of?
There is one CV that defines the AC voltage when the loco should start moving, there is another that defines the AC voltage when the loco should reach maximum speed.
Decreasing the former or the latter might make it faster.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline ocram63_uk  
#6 Posted : 26 June 2020 18:20:36(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Tom, you mention CVs when referring to mfx decoders.
I've been told that the CV concept can't be applied to mfx as they do not exist. This is the biggest problem I have when trying to change mfx settings with my ECOS The basic settings have to be left like the factory sets them if I want the loco to work properly.
With mfx you have a few changes that you can apply. I don't know if with a CS 2/3 things are better
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 29 June 2020 10:12:08(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
Tom, you mention CVs when referring to mfx decoders.
I've been told that the CV concept can't be applied to mfx as they do not exist.
With both concepts you have many values you can change to adjust the behaviour of the decoder.
With DCC they are called Configuration Variables (CVs), with mfx you have the Configuration Space where you can set values in various groups.
The CS2 shows the corresponding CV numbers when showing the mfx configuration space. In most cases the variables are shared, so making changes in DCC affects the mfx behaviour and vice versa.

With the ECoS you can set many values using the loco properties. There is no CV screen for mfx decoders.
Please check all pages on the Advanced tab (the AC page above the one selected here looks promising):
UserPostedImage
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage