Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PanzerZug  
#1 Posted : 18 June 2020 23:34:18(UTC)
PanzerZug

United States   
Hello! I just bought a brand new Class V 60 Diesel Switch Engine M#37861.
https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/37861

I am using a Mobil Station...now called Mobil Station 1. The locomotive moves, the lights turn on and off, I can toot the whistle, but there are no "Diesel operating sounds" or the little speaker symbol that should be visible on the controller screen and no button on the controller does anything to uncouple the telex couplers. The symbol that appears to show the uncoupler only makes a sound when you push it and there is only one, not one for the front coupler and another for rear as indicated in the list of digital functions. The list of digital functions that are supposed to be accessible with my Mobil Station are:
Telex coupler on the front, Diesel locomotive op. sounds, Horn, Telex coupler on the rear, Direction control, Headlight(s): Cab2 End, Warning Sound and Headlight(s): Cab1 End

Is this an issue with the Mobil Station 1 or the locomotive?

Thanks!
Offline PanzerZug  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2020 00:49:37(UTC)
PanzerZug

United States   
After I posted my question I decided to try something I hadn't thought of...there was one function button on my Mobil Station that had no symbol next to it...because of that I never tried it to see what would happen. When I did the engine sounds came on....even though there is no little speaker symbol next to it like all other locos I have, that have engine sounds. So...I got the Diesel Operating Sounds working.....since that worked I thought I would look at the other buttons that had symbols that were meaningless to me....they both made the same sound, which turned out to be the uncoupling sound. When I hit the buttons before hoping to see the Telex couplers move I saw nothing...what I didn't realize is the only movement is a little pin that raises and lowers. I thought the whole coupler would move up and down, like they do on an uncoupler track. You really have to look closely at the pin to see it move. The symbols on the Mobil Station are confusing for the Telex couplers they are different. Here is a pic of the Mobil Station. The diesel sound comes on when you press the button circled, in blue (Notice there is no symbol next to it) The Telex couplers function on two more buttons, but each has a different symbol, both are circled in red.IMG_5715.jpg
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2020 07:41:20(UTC)
Goofy

Your MS1 are old and have old version too.
The locomotive do have complete new mfx+ decoder so it´s possible there is some bugs that appears.
Why don´t you try to buy new MS2 and upgrade it to new version?
More fun and also more icon symbols by control digital functions of the locomotive.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Bogenschütze  
#4 Posted : 19 June 2020 09:29:59(UTC)
Bogenschütze

United Kingdom   
I bought the 37861 V60 last September. I have a fairly new MS2 and everything works fine with the full range of features. All the icons adjacent to the buttons are self explanatory. I particularly like the "Switching Manoeuvre" feature. When the appropriate button on the MS2 is pressed, the loco backs up a couple of millimetres, the sound of couplers disengaging activates and the Telex pin raises, then the loco revs up and moves forward about 2 cms leaving the wagons behind. It really is great fun. I used to mostly like to run my passenger trains round the continuous run but now I spend most of my time shunting and rearranging freight train consists.
Marklin - "The train set I never had as a child."
Keith Bowman
Offline hvc  
#5 Posted : 19 June 2020 10:50:17(UTC)
hvc

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bogenschütze Go to Quoted Post
I bought the 37861 V60 last September. I have a fairly new MS2 and everything works fine with the full range of features. All the icons adjacent to the buttons are self explanatory. I particularly like the "Switching Manoeuvre" feature. When the appropriate button on the MS2 is pressed, the loco backs up a couple of millimetres, the sound of couplers disengaging activates and the Telex pin raises, then the loco revs up and moves forward about 2 cms leaving the wagons behind. It really is great fun. I used to mostly like to run my passenger trains round the continuous run but now I spend most of my time shunting and rearranging freight train consists.

That's really neat - and I had no idea. Is it only MS2 that has Switching Manoeuvre, or does CS3 have it as well?

- Herman
Offline Bogenschütze  
#6 Posted : 19 June 2020 11:17:00(UTC)
Bogenschütze

United Kingdom   
Hi Herman

I don't have a CS3 but according to the table in the manual for the 37861 V60, the Switching Manoeuvre feature is available on MS2 up to CS3+

Keith
Marklin - "The train set I never had as a child."
Keith Bowman
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 19 June 2020 12:39:20(UTC)
H0

The MS1 has fixed symbols on the LCD and it re-arranges functions to match the symbols as good as it can.
The keys for F1 through F8 are 6, 7, 5, 3, 2, 1, 4, 8, respectively - and this list is given in the manual on page 7.
Nothing mysterious, all the information is in the fancy manual, so just read the fancy manual (RTFM).
In older Märklin loco manuals the information was presented in a different, easier way, but it is still there.

This is not perfect. There always is "trial and error" when folks bring a new loco without manual to club meetings where we use the MS1 and we have to figure out which functions are available.

The MS1 is limited to 9 functions while the MS2 can access 32 functions.

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Can you explain that?

The locomotive do have complete new mfx+ decoder so it´s possible there is some bugs that appears.
Can you explain that? I'm not aware of MS1 bugs, but surely there are some mfx+ decoder bugs ...

The MS1 is solid and can handle mfx+ decoders without update. The MS2 needed bug fixes for mfx+ decoders and bug fixes for ESU V4 M4 decoders and it is still buggier than Maine in June.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline PanzerZug  
#8 Posted : 19 June 2020 16:21:02(UTC)
PanzerZug

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bogenschütze Go to Quoted Post

Thanks! I saw the "switching maneuver " on the list of digital functions and wondered what that meant! I may have to upgrade to a Mobil Station II, once I have the layout complete, but the way things go for me, by the time I'm ready to try the MS2, MS3 will be out BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PanzerZug
Offline PanzerZug  
#9 Posted : 19 June 2020 18:54:46(UTC)
PanzerZug

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The MS1 has fixed symbols on the LCD and it re-arranges functions to match the symbols as good as it can.
The keys for F1 through F8 are 6, 7, 5, 3, 2, 1, 4, 8, respectively - and this list is given in the manual on page 7.
Nothing mysterious, all the information is in the fancy manual, so just read the fancy manual (RTFM).
In older Märklin loco manuals the information was presented in a different, easier way, but it is still there.

This is not perfect. There always is "trial and error" when folks bring a new loco without manual to club meetings where we use the MS1 and we have to figure out which functions are available.

Thanks!! I didn't know there were manuals....this is the third newer digital loco I have bought and the other two worked right out of the box without explanation, the symbols next to the buttons all showed up and made sense....after you mentioned looking at the manual, I looked at the boxes all my locos came in and found the manuals! The way the have the holder for them in the bottom of the box, I thought it was part of the protective packaging.....and after looking at the manual, I can see that I would have still been scratching my head...if you hadn't told me I would not have understood that the graph for the keys indicated a different order number. If the loco's symbols would have shown upon like the others did, no manual would have been needed LOL

Thanks again for letting me know there was a manual!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PanzerZug
H0
Offline Goofy  
#10 Posted : 20 June 2020 10:38:36(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

The MS1 is limited to 9 functions while the MS2 can access 32 functions.

Can you explain that?

Can you explain that? I'm not aware of MS1 bugs, but surely there are some mfx+ decoder bugs ...

The MS1 is solid and can handle mfx+ decoders without update. The MS2 needed bug fixes for mfx+ decoders and bug fixes for ESU V4 M4 decoders and it is still buggier than Maine in June.

MS1 does not produce anymore time.
Latest time was year 2008/09.
There is no upgrade version for this mobil station 1.
No...MS1 are not solid system.
There is strong limited functions and MS2 are better to use.
Choice one protocol to control your layout and disable unnecessary protocols in the digital locomotive decoder.
Too many protocols make interference in the decoder, says manufacture.
MS1 are old system and handle only MM/mfx.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 22 June 2020 11:40:24(UTC)
H0

MS1 are old system and handle only MM/mfx.
I asked about known MS1 bugs - and you listed zero, none, nada.
The MS1 implements mfx and MM and it works without updates.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 22 June 2020 11:46:51(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: PanzerZug Go to Quoted Post
Thanks again for letting me know there was a manual!
You can find PDFs of the manuals in the product database. Nice when the original box is stored in a safe and dry place...

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage