Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 18 June 2020 05:09:51(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone knows the meaning of TU or TTU enscription on the right side of the wagon?
As shown in the below images.
Image acknowledgment to Michelstätdermodellbahntreff.

UserPostedImage

Image acknowledgment to Märklin.

UserPostedImage

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 18 June 2020 09:11:36(UTC)
H0

See this PDF:
https://gueterwagenkatal...tKennbuchst_nat_V1.0.pdf

Both have enforced rubber mats in the bays for the coils. TU has devices to fix the coils, TTU has devices to fix the coils that are freely adjustable. Nothing you can see from outside.

The German text (try the translation tool of your choice):
tu (Shimmns): Mit besonderer Festlegeeinrichtung zum Sichern gebündelter
Schmalbandcoils und Auskleidung der Mulden mit gewebeverstärkten Gummimatten

ttu (Shimmns): Mit besonderer, stufenlos verstellbarer Festlegeeinrichtung zum
Sichern gebündelter Schmalbandcoils und Auskleidung der
Mulden mit gewebeverstärkten Gummimatten
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 18 June 2020 11:15:23(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for that link - that is a real help.
I must admit I could not have figured how to search for such information.
There does not seem to be many photos showing detail of trains of these wagons, even though I noted some in sidings near Wolfsburg in 2018 (I guess for VW).
So I wanted to model a typical Stahlzug, and I can only guess the train might mix TU and TTU, and even some wagons without the T, U, or TU equipment/facility.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Carim  
#4 Posted : 18 June 2020 11:30:51(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Kimball,

Go to http://www.railfaneurope.net, then click "Pictures", click the German flag on the left, click "car", click "freight" and then click "S" to get photos of all the Shimmns type wagons and some of the combinations they run in.

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 18 June 2020 14:22:57(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
Kimball,

Go to http://www.railfaneurope.net, then click "Pictures", click the German flag on the left, click "car", click "freight" and then click "S" to get photos of all the Shimmns type wagons and some of the combinations they run in.

Carim

Hmm, wandering around that sight it looks like you don't need a covered wagon for steel rolls.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 18 June 2020 14:26:07(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline kimballthurlow  
#7 Posted : 19 June 2020 01:01:26(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Yes that site reveals some good ones.
Here is a picture with both the Shimmns type wagons and the flat wagons.
Perhaps the flat wagons carried steel that needed no protection - stainless, coated, or unfinished etc etc.
Steel train

A good video of the Maerklin 36632 prototype and load of steel flats on a snowy day is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmsy2tbEluA
See also Maerklin 47050 and 47160.

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 22 June 2020 08:10:11(UTC)  | Reason: corrected Shimmns

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 19 June 2020 13:25:57(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Perhaps the flat wagons carried steel that needed no protection - stainless, coated, or unfinished etc etc.

The picture I linked had rust on the steel roll. It may be just that some applications can deal with surface rust better (the finished product will be sand blasted anyway before painting?)

Offline kimballthurlow  
#9 Posted : 19 June 2020 23:09:41(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
See this PDF:
https://gueterwagenkatal...tKennbuchst_nat_V1.0.pdf

Both have enforced rubber mats in the bays for the coils. TU has devices to fix the coils, TTU has devices to fix the coils that are freely adjustable. Nothing you can see from outside.

Thainking more about this and from what Alan mentioned .....
The carriage of steel can be quite technical from the look of the special way these wagons are set up.

If I use my imagination I can see that steel destined for pressing in an automobile plant (VW, Mercedes Benz, Skoda etc) would need to arrive with an untarnished surface and be perfectly flat, with no dents or scratches.
Therefore the use of rubber surfaces can preserve this.

Coils carried without protection may be destined for other uses, but I cannot imagine what.

Some sheet steel or bar steel may not need protection, because it has to be further transformed into shapes for structural engineering or it may be on its way to a rolling mill.
In structures, the steel as Alan says will be sandblasted in preparation for coating.
It is all rather interesting, and is replicated in Australia where south of Sydney there are steel mills.
Rolls of steel were common, but now that we have no vehicle building here .........?

Kimball

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow