Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline skeeterbuck  
#1 Posted : 10 June 2020 13:28:00(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Yesterday, I sent an inquiry to Märklin for a part number that is not listed on the enclosed loco's part list paperwork.

Here was the reply:

"the desired spare part is unfortunately not available.

Our recommendation in the event of a defect:

Send the model for checking whether repairs are possible to our customer repair department with a description of the fault."

Cursing Mad Angry Confused
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeeterbuck
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2020 15:23:33(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If it is a new model, send it back for repairs. If it is a warranty issue, they may replace the locomotive.
If it is an older model or out of warranty, they may be able to source the part from another defective unit, even if the part is not available on it' sown.

For an older model, you might also want to check with Eckert, Ritter Restaurations or other entity who does repairs and might have an in house parts store.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline skeeterbuck  
#3 Posted : 10 June 2020 16:52:31(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
If it is a new model, send it back for repairs. If it is a warranty issue, they may replace the locomotive.
If it is an older model or out of warranty, they may be able to source the part from another defective unit, even if the part is not available on it' sown.

For an older model, you might also want to check with Eckert, Ritter Restaurations or other entity who does repairs and might have an in house parts store.

Regards

Mike C

It's a Loco from 2002 so it's defiantly out of warranty, but I don't think Märklin would appreciate that I upgraded the loco with a ESU Loksound 5 decoder. Laugh

Luckily, I was able to repair the part. I was just looking now for a replacement because this part had broken on me before and the old crew at Märklin USA (IIRC Jeff Swanson?) was able to get me the part and just sent it to me to replace myself.ThumpUp

Unfortunately, it didn't include the part number. ThumbDown

Chuck

Offline LA2019  
#4 Posted : 10 June 2020 18:11:29(UTC)
LA2019

United States   
Originally Posted by: skeeterbuck Go to Quoted Post
Yesterday, I sent an inquiry to Märklin for a part number that is not listed on the enclosed loco's part list paperwork.

Here was the reply:

Send the model for checking whether repairs are possible to our customer repair department with a description of the fault."

It's called 'planned obsolescence'.

They would rather sell you a new $500 loco than a $5 part!

Ken
USofA
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LA2019
Offline skeeterbuck  
#5 Posted : 11 June 2020 00:58:08(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
Originally Posted by: LA2019 Go to Quoted Post

Here was the reply:

It's called 'planned obsolescence'.

They would rather sell you a new $500 loco than a $5 part!

I refuse to believe the big "M" would do that to us. Laugh
Offline dickinsonj  
#6 Posted : 11 June 2020 01:28:59(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   

I refuse to believe the big "M" would do that to us. Laugh

I have a whole closet of recently made and broken Märklin products that make me a believer. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline ocram63_uk  
#7 Posted : 11 June 2020 18:55:56(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
well you got a reply, bad news non the less, I'm still waiting for a reply on a couple of things I've asked Marklin and who know when I'll have one.
But, this said, even Roco has completely gone silent, no replies whatsoever
Glad you sorted your issue independently :-)
Cheers
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 11 June 2020 23:33:52(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Replies from the manufacturers are not good and I feel much more should be done by the dealers who sell the models. Our models are classed as toys where the mark up is high as with all toys and with an 18 year old model I expect spares will always be hard to get. The hobby is getting smaller and manufacturers are struggling to keep going with the result we pay more but the service is not as good. I doubt this will change and we will be left to do our own repairs.
I would say again though that dealers should do more and have better ability regarding repairs and advice. Some are very good but not enough.
Good though that the end result with the model has turned out well.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 12 June 2020 04:24:31(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
If they would have followed the car industry, we wouldn't have this problem with spare parts, cars these days are made of parts which has got nothing to do with the manufacturer, most of them are sourced from outside sources., going back years even the DRG used parts of different steam locos to create a new class.
Today it is apparent new locos like the Vectron is made by 5 or so different toy manufacturers, each pouring in money in the initial design and than each manufacturer starts producing them for different rail companies which in my opinion is a vast amount of money wasted., the design is the same except the exterior colour scheme. if you would have one central manufacturer producing the loco chassis and housing (in its raw state) and than Märklin, Roco, Piko, Brawa, Liliput, ACME etc etc. put their own bits on it, I'm sure we would benefit from it and also when it comes to spare parts and yet each company is struggling to stay afloat.
It would be interesting to know how different some of the new prototypical electric locos are, when it comes to the chassis and wheelbase and whether or not adjustments could be made to suit a new model loco chassis design, in mean time we are battling to get spare parts.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode