Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ajayrav  
#1 Posted : 06 June 2020 02:52:28(UTC)
ajayrav

United States   
Hello folks,

The running gear on my BR80 is seizing up. Basically, the motion rods are running into each other and binding on the right side. It happens in the area boxed in blue in the first photo. The cause is the rivet indicated by the red arrow being too loose. This causes the upper part of the mechanism to have too much play and bind with the horizontal rod. The rivet on the left side is much tighter and has very little play that maintains the rods apart so they don't bind. If I hold the rivet with a toothpick, all is well.

Is there any way I can tighten the rivet in question without breaking anything and have everything work again? The alternative would be to order the running gear on both sides as a spare part from Marklin, but that will be expensive, take time to ship from Germany and I will probably have to paint the parts if they are the wrong color.

BR80-1.jpg
bR80-2.jpeg

Any input is welcome... Just thought I'd ask your advice before proceeding.

Thanks,
Ajay
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 06 June 2020 12:39:46(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: ajayrav Go to Quoted Post
Hello folks,

The running gear on my BR80 is seizing up. Basically, the motion rods are running into each other and binding on the right side. It happens in the area boxed in blue in the first photo. The cause is the rivet indicated by the red arrow being too loose. This causes the upper part of the mechanism to have too much play and bind with the horizontal rod. The rivet on the left side is much tighter and has very little play that maintains the rods apart so they don't bind. If I hold the rivet with a toothpick, all is well.

Is there any way I can tighten the rivet in question without breaking anything and have everything work again? The alternative would be to order the running gear on both sides as a spare part from Marklin, but that will be expensive, take time to ship from Germany and I will probably have to paint the parts if they are the wrong color.

Thanks,
Ajay

Can you get a thin pair of pliers in there and squeeze the rivet to close it up a little? - the rivet may be quite hard and not able to be squeezed so the other option would be to remove the assembly, place it against a steel block and tap ('peen') the head lightly with a small hammer to achieve the same thing.

Alternatively, you might be able to fabricate a form of 'spacer' that you could slide into the gap to keep the loose part better aligned.

Imagine a small (very small) round disc with a hole in the middle and a cut so that with tweezers you could slip it onto the rivet on whicher side of the loose part would give it the best position.

Other than than I can't think what else but if you have to remove it anyway to replace it then the attempt to tighten is no more work anyway.

You indicate it's the right side causing the issue so it may just be poor manufacture.

Cheers
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline ajayrav  
#3 Posted : 06 June 2020 18:12:12(UTC)
ajayrav

United States   
Thanks for that; that was what I was planning to do. I've shot Marklin an email and see what they come back with before attempting anything. Don't want to ship the loco to Germany for service during the pandemic.

Thanks,
Ajay
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ajayrav
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#4 Posted : 06 June 2020 23:32:24(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ajayrav Go to Quoted Post
Hello folks,

The running gear on my BR80 is seizing up. Basically, the motion rods are running into each other and binding on the right side.

Thanks,
Ajay

Sorry to say I can't offer any help, but I have experienced similar frustrations, so can at least empathise,

This does look like a new locomotive, though, so a return under warranty must be in order? In my experience, Marklin are very good at fixing returned stuff, but pretty useless at offering any kind of helpful advice remotely. I have to say, in your shoes I'd return the loco for repair rather than buy spares to try and fix it myself. The cost probably won't be much different, but the outcome will!

For the record, though, I am terrible for trying to fix stuff myself, even when it's a new piece and very returnable!

Good luck!

Chris
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline hxmiesa  
#5 Posted : 07 June 2020 19:07:27(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline zscalehobo  
#6 Posted : 07 June 2020 20:26:29(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Since you are USA based ... If it's within warranty period contact your dealer and then Märklin USA. Sending to Germany should be your last option.
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline ajayrav  
#7 Posted : 12 June 2020 18:09:29(UTC)
ajayrav

United States   
Thanks, Frank. I have contacted my dealer and Stacy at Marklin USA. Waiting to hear back from her.

Ajay