Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Nibelungen  
#1 Posted : 05 June 2020 12:56:03(UTC)
Nibelungen

United Kingdom   
Ok my MS2 is working correctly and I’ve bought 2 K87 point/ signal decoders secondhand and they are working quite happily with the MS2 and operate the Solenoids in my lints and signals quite happily.
However connect up the signal lights and the MS2 simply can’t supply enough power to allow any of the accessories connected to the K87 decoders to operate at all. As I see it the continuous current drawn by the signal bulbs is the problem.
I seemingly have 3 options:
(1) Leave the points digitally controlled and return the signal control to analogue.
(2) Seperate the signal lighting circuit from the digital control circuit.
(3) Not sure if this one is possible but buy a more powerful marklin switched power supply To replace the one which came with the MS2.
I also wonder if it is possible to superimpose an AC current over the DC digital supply just to power the signal lights?On removing the cover from the solenoid I see that the lighting circuit is powered through a grey wire attached to the solenoid which runs up the signal post, return being by the metal signal mast.
Could one disconnect this wire from the solenoid, power it independently and use the common return for the other leg of the circuit, so DC digital power to the track and one side of the AC lighting circuit via a separate cable , returning via the running rail?
I’d be very grateful for any advice.
Nibelungen
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 05 June 2020 16:18:57(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
you don't say which signals you are using and I think you man k83s...

No, you cant superimpose AC with the digital signal.
Digital signal is not DC.

Yes, you should be able to separate the power used by the signal from its switching. The k83 should switch the relay, and the power to the light bulbs can share a common ground with the digital signal.
You can power the signal lights with either DC or AC.

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 05 June 2020 20:20:24(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Nibelungen Go to Quoted Post

(3) Not sure if this one is possible but buy a more powerful marklin switched power supply To replace the one which came with the MS2.

Forget this. In the opposite to a CS you do not have any choice selecting your power supply getting more power to the layout. A MS 2 provides you always with 1,9 A only. Does not matter whatever you are doing.

Originally Posted by: Nibelungen Go to Quoted Post

(2) Seperate the signal lighting circuit from the digital control circuit.

I do not know as this could be done. But Märklin shows in its systems architecture the possibility to support the m 83 decoder with 60822 and 66360 for its own power supply. This should solve your problem.

https://www.maerklin.de/...Gesamt%C3%BCbersicht.pdf

With the side jacks you can directly plug together several m83/m84 decoders. Cables between the decoders are not allowed!

If this is possible with a k 83 too, you have to look up in your manual, but it should be. Because a 60822 has a special connection jack for a k83.
Offline franciscohg  
#4 Posted : 06 June 2020 02:01:02(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello, as Dale says, you can separate the power for tge light bulbs from main power, with a common ground. I have done it with old M switches and signals. If you disassemble the signal you will see that the light is powered by the same cable that powers the solenoids, you have to unsolder the cable and connect it to a separate power source with a common ground. Another option is to buy some leds that are available with the same type of.
socket, they came with capacitor and resistor included
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL