Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline maurifuma  
#1 Posted : 14 January 2020 19:09:08(UTC)
maurifuma

Italy   
Confused Good morning everybody and thank you clapcott for the extensive documentation.
I one a CS3 with v 1.3.1 and I missed the 1.4 update (my fault). I am trying to update to v2.0 but despite all my efforts, nor from the USB stick (the one I used in the past for update and formatted FAT32) or LAN, the CS3 does not get the update. Any suggestion? is it because I missed the 1.4 update? I tried but I cannot find it on the Marklin site: they post only the link to v 2.0.
Thank you for any help can be provided.
Maurizio

Edited by moderator 05 June 2020 12:56:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 14 January 2020 20:17:28(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: maurifuma Go to Quoted Post
Confused Good morning everybody and thank you clapcott for the extensive documentation.
I one a CS3 with v 1.3.1 and I missed the 1.4 update (my fault). I am trying to update to v2.0 but despite all my efforts, nor from the USB stick (the one I used in the past for update and formatted FAT32) or LAN, the CS3 does not get the update. Any suggestion? is it because I missed the 1.4 update? I tried but I cannot find it on the Marklin site: they post only the link to v 2.0.
Thank you for any help can be provided.
Maurizio

Indeed some people do have problems updating the CS3 to version 2.0.0. Because of that Maerklin has issued another very small update before X-mas. The latest (and at the moment newest) version is 2.0.0 (1). Shown on my personal CS 3+.

People who have update problems were reporting about their layout. By these posts I got the impression mainly the update failed by very large layouts. Indeed, one wrote he has a CS 2, CS 3, 4 booster (BTW must be a very nice layout) and update problems. He is thinking Maerklin is testing his software only on small or mid-sized layouts and never at big ones. But the big ones get the problems. He might be right. Do a back-up before your update procedere, although I recognizes after I had done the full process (it is a longer process, by a shut down of the CS 3 and restarted all by itself).

Hopefully this will change after Maerklin had opened its new huge company layout in the new Maerklineum. I saw it under construction at the IMA days in September 2019. This is a real big layout and predestined for testing the CS3 software with all its possibilities.BigGrin

In your case I recommend doing a bootloader update. I wrote here at marklin-users.net several times about it, but unfortunately I do not find the applicable threads. The major point, before you can do it, you must activate the bootloader update function - now under system/settings/CS3/CAN. (Do not know when Maerklin changed the menu path, but in the CS3 manual it is an old version printed with an old menu tree) Please then read in the CS3 help function the bootloader update process. It is nowhere else documented except in this help function. But the process has to be followed, if you want to achieve a good result.
Offline Copenhagen  
#3 Posted : 14 January 2020 20:46:14(UTC)
Copenhagen

TEEWolf, is it this procedure?:
"If you want to do a bootloader update,
yes, it has to be activated before, because in all other cases it shall be deactivated, as Märklin writes in its help function.

The point is the quite complex procedure to activate or deactivate this menu item at your CS 3.

After starting the CS 3 go to system/settings at the main level
hit the picture with the CS 3
scroll down to bootloader update and activate or deactivate it for whatever position you need - standard should be deactivated!

After setting, scroll up to the menu item "shut down" and shut down the CS 3. Märklin says do not disable the CS 3 in any other way! Disable the CS 3 only via the shut down button.

Detach all other appliances you have connected to the CS 3. No power connection to the tracks, no CAN bus, no MS 2, etc. everything has to be disconnected (of course if you want to update an appliance in addition and connected to the CS 3 than this item has to be connected with the CS 3 - but this is another topic - read more in the help function for these peculiar cases).

Detach your CS 3 from the power for 1 minute. Then re-power your CS 3 and start it simultaneously.

After the new start do not touch the STOP/GO bar!

Look, if an update is indicated at the CS 3 logo on the menu via the internet or start the update again from an USB stick, which you downloaded the update software before as @siroljuk has described in post #46. After you finished your update then deactivate menu item "bootloader update" at your CS 3 with the same procedure as described above."

It can be found almost at the bottom of page 1 in this thread:
https://www.marklin-user...4-CS3-new-update-V-1-3-3
Offline TEEWolf  
#4 Posted : 14 January 2020 21:23:01(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post
TEEWolf, is it this procedure?:.....

Yes, this is the procedure for a bootloader update of a CS 3 which I mean. Whereas now the button for activating the bootloader update has (since which software version I do not know, I realized the change after I had installed the 2.0.0 version update) moved to the path "system/settings/CS3/CAN/Bootloader-Update".

Edited by moderator 07 May 2020 11:15:35(UTC)  | Reason: Edited to not include the quoting of entire posts which we don't need to read twice, and which you h

Offline sgbrail  
#5 Posted : 03 June 2020 09:39:50(UTC)
sgbrail

Australia   
Hi Clapcott and anyone else who may be able to help updating the system to v2...

We have been successfully using our CS3+ since they were first introduce to Australia, and successfully updated to v1.4 when it was released.

Unfortunately we had no success upgrading to V2.00 (1) in January and now a similar problem when we tried v2.10 (2).

The system seems to load onto the CS3+ OK and restarts, and we can use the CS3 to do all the normal tasks, BUT we can't get the CONTROL page to launch successfully in any browser. It hangs at this step every time and the red progress bar just recycles continuously.

Asked Marklin for assistance and got a polite reply "there's nothing wrong with our software", but no help.

We use iPads and iPhones and MAC to run our layots, and have tried the latest versions of various browsers including, Safari, Firefox, Chrome and on PC also.

Do we have a faulty CS3, or old firmware that need updating or WHAT? Updating shouldn't be this hard, we do it all the time with our other devices.

Appreciate help from anyone who has bumped into this problem, and/or solved this issue.

Cheers SGB rail
Cheers, Dad & Dave
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 03 June 2020 19:29:44(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: sgbrail Go to Quoted Post
Hi Clapcott and anyone else who may be able to help updating the system to v2...

We have been successfully using our CS3+ since they were first introduce to Australia, and successfully updated to v1.4 when it was released.

Unfortunately we had no success upgrading to V2.00 (1) in January and now a similar problem when we tried v2.10 (2).

The system seems to load onto the CS3+ OK and restarts, and we can use the CS3 to do all the normal tasks, BUT we can't get the CONTROL page to launch successfully in any browser. It hangs at this step every time and the red progress bar just recycles continuously.

What is the "CONTROL page" for you? I do not understand this. Because starting the CS 3 web surface no control page is necessary. You have only to type your IP address from the CS 3 into the address line of your browser. Of course your CS 3 has to be connected to your router with a LAN cable. As well as your computer has to be connected to the router by LAN or WiFi too. You must built an intranet, but an Internet connection is not necessary. BTW, it does not matter which browser it is.

Asked Marklin for assistance and got a polite reply "there's nothing wrong with our software", but no help.

We use iPads and iPhones and MAC to run our layots, and have tried the latest versions of various browsers including, Safari, Firefox, Chrome and on PC also.

Do we have a faulty CS3, or old firmware that need updating or WHAT? Updating shouldn't be this hard, we do it all the time with our other devices.

Appreciate help from anyone who has bumped into this problem, and/or solved this issue.

Cheers SGB rail

Why must be an update or the CS 3 be faulty? There are many possibilities, why it may not functioning by your opinion. Couldn't be your computer with its software got an error as well? But you may also do a bootloader update with your CS 3 for SW vers 2.1 and try again if it helps.
Offline sgbrail  
#7 Posted : 04 June 2020 00:31:56(UTC)
sgbrail

Australia   
Thanks teewolf, but we know all that, and if you aren't using a computer and the web interface you won't know what we are talking about. Please see the attached image link from the latest CS3.2 manual showing the interface.

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 8.22.20 am.png

We need help from someone who has bumped into our problem before.

Hope the upload image works?
Cheers, Dad & Dave
Offline sgbrail  
#8 Posted : 04 June 2020 00:33:45(UTC)
sgbrail

Australia   
Forgot to point out that the Control is on the right side under the marklin logo and should open a screen with all the loco and track controls.
Cheers, Dad & Dave
Offline TEEWolf  
#9 Posted : 04 June 2020 08:54:01(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thanks teewolf, but we know all that, and if you aren't using a computer and the web interface you won't know what we are talking about. Please see the attached image link from the latest CS3.2 manual showing the interface.

We need help from someone who has bumped into our problem before.

Hope the upload image works?

Oh, I use this web interface. Thanks, now I understand your control button at the upper right side of the menu bar. I use this “control” (in German stands “Steuerung”) for creating and setting my layout panels. Anyway more cannot be done behind this button, at least at my CS 3. I use this function because via the browser the grid switch on/off is working. It does not work using the CS 3 screen. Well, there are still some errors in the software.

But if your panel page never starts and you only see the red line flushing across the screen, then your CS 3 is not connected to the intranet. That is always said on my screen while it is flushing. Then I restart the web interface and after a new connection to the CS 3 it is working again. If this does not help you, I really would try a bootloader update for the complete CS 3 software. How to do this you find it under the help function in the menu systems/settings/systems/CAN. There you also have to set the tickmark for the bootloader update first. Then you must close the CS 3. Do not a restart, shut down first and then start again. The help function explains the procedure quite helpfully.
Offline sgbrail  
#10 Posted : 04 June 2020 10:43:58(UTC)
sgbrail

Australia   
Thanks teewolf, we have tried all of this several times with no success. Maybe our CS3 is just faulty or needs some other update?
Cheers, Dad & Dave
Offline TEEWolf  
#11 Posted : 04 June 2020 22:14:00(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thanks teewolf, we have tried all of this several times with no success. Maybe our CS3 is just faulty or needs some other update?

Did you try a reset of your CS 3 to the factory delivery standard? All right, first you have to do a backup, because this reset deletes all your own configurations and set up. But it remains the software version installed. In the CS 3 is a file startconfig.zip. Perhaps this helps. I have done it by other reasons and it helped partially. Another part seems to be a defect at a decoder.

Then you should try to do this emergency update. Maerklin says to contact its service first. Although you contacted them already and had a bad experience. Nevertheless try it again, especially in connection with this emergency update. Maerklin would not provide it if there will be no use of it. But your experience shows, you must insist against the service from Maerklin.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 05 June 2020 12:47:41(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I've moved some posts from https://www.marklin-user...--to-v2-1-0-2--07May2020 because they were sidetracking Peter's thread and I know he prefers to keep things on topic.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline clapcott  
#13 Posted : 06 June 2020 08:45:55(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
... Appreciate help from anyone who has bumped into this problem, and/or solved this issue.

No help, other than a bit of Solace maybe..

I have observed the same apparent hang when attempting to use an iPad (Safari / Chrome) to the my CS3 with the "Control" browser function.

I have no interest in debugging this further.

Peter
Offline sgbrail  
#14 Posted : 14 June 2020 12:05:17(UTC)
sgbrail

Australia   
SOLVED. I have received a link from Marklin Customer Service to a new update file.

This file loaded via a USB stick has fixed all our web interface problems.

If anyone is having this problem, we suggest you contact Marklin for assistance.
Cheers, Dad & Dave
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sgbrail