Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline peter.ross  
#1 Posted : 23 May 2020 13:44:43(UTC)
peter.ross

South Africa   
Hi
I have a br50 loco from a 29500 starter set. The loco will not move. Lights , sounds etc work but no motion. What should the voltage be from the decoder mounting board. Green and blue wires.

Or does anyone have any advice

Regards
Peter
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2020 22:21:44(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: peter.ross Go to Quoted Post
Hi
I have a br50 loco from a 29500 starter set. The loco will not move. Lights , sounds etc work but no motion. What should the voltage be from the decoder mounting board. Green and blue wires.

Or does anyone have any advice

Regards
Peter

Peter, how old is the set? There is a very common and well-known problem with Locos from older production that have been left sitting in storage for several years untouched. Items from the 80's onward seem particularly susceptible whereas you almost never get it on items up to the 70's.

HOS or hardened oil syndrome where the oil virtually evaporates leaving behind what is almost glue. Everything becomes bound and seized. Your symptoms match perfectly what usually happens. "All the lights are on but nobody's home". Sometimes if you watch very carefully with the body off, when you alternately drive and reverse the loco you may see very tiny movement in the armature or some of the gears as it tries to turn.

Don't try this for more than a few seconds or you risk burning out the armature or decoder. Also, do not attempt to turn the wheels by hand.

There are two options. Full strip, clean, lightly lube and reassemble is what many people will tell you.

Personally, I have many times been able to restore Locos to operation by gently manually turning the gear train until the bound gears and wheels start to work free and they become progressively smoother.

To answer your main question, you'd expect to see voltage on those wires when running up to around 16v.

But First thing I would check is side to side movement of the wheels. There should be a small amount of lateral play and very often you will find one or more wheel set quite free to move and others with no movement. That gives you a comparison to start with. Slightly increasing sideways pressure on the frozen wheel-set will often be enough but it will help to put the tiniest drop of oil into the bearing/axle to help. And of course be careful of the coupling rods, valve gear etc not to bend anything.

The gears themselves can usually be "encouraged" into movement with a non-metallic object like a piece of hard plastic, or even your fingers to work free without scratching them.

As the drive-train works free you will see increasing rotation by drive, reverse, drive etc as the Loco comes back to life. Again smallest drop of oil of the gears will help.

This can save you having to strip the engine and having to get solvent to clean all the parts, some of which you still can't remove anyway such as the wheels and gears. You may prefer to do the strip & clean but getting it working will at least prove you are on the right track. Or you may find that it runs well without any stripping in which case regular use will be the best thing.

It may also help to warm the Loco up a little, wrap in a cloth and place on or near a heater for a few hours, maybe a hair-dryer etc to soften the oil resin. I know this to work from comments on other forums.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
hvc
Offline TEEWolf  
#3 Posted : 24 May 2020 01:15:32(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

Peter, how old is the set? There is a very common and well-known problem with Locos from older production that have been left sitting in storage for several years untouched. Items from the 80's onward seem particularly susceptible whereas you almost never get it on items up to the 70's.
Steve

Hello Steve,

this set #29500 is from 2010.

https://www.maerklin.de/...e/details/article/29500/

It contained a BR E 50, a steamer BR 50 and a CS 2. Unfortunately for such starter sets Maerklin does not issue detailed informations in the internet. I know that from my own starter set #29040 from 2013. They even do not tell you from which original models these locos were derivated. The only way will be to open the loco to see the engine inside. While the decoder seems to be still working, it could be a damage of the engine. But at that time Maerklin built into the locos different types of engines.

My CS 3+ always shows a contiously voltage of 19,1 V, nothing with 16 V or other voltages.

Best Regards

Wolfgang
Offline Purellum  
#4 Posted : 24 May 2020 09:14:46(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
My CS 3 always shows a contiously voltage of 19,1 V, nothing with 16 V or other voltages.

The question was which voltage goes FROM the decoder mounting board. ( Green and blue wires to the motor. ) Cool

With lights and sound working, the voltage going TO the decoder mounting board,
from whatever controller Peter is using ,is not relevant, since it's obviously OK Cool

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 24 May 2020 11:24:10(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Peter, how old is the set?

As Wolfgang states, the set is from 2010. I have this set as does the MMRC. There's a whole thread on the forum dedicated to this set. There is some discussion in the thread about the types of motors in each of the locos, the BR50 has a DCM motor.

https://www.marklin-user...n-29500-Mega-Starter-Set

As to the voltage going to the motor from the decoder, I would have thought this would vary according to the speed the decoder is set at.
Offline Purellum  
#6 Posted : 24 May 2020 11:53:16(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
As to the voltage going to the motor from the decoder, I would have thought this would vary according to the speed the decoder is set at.

Yes - and no BigGrin

If you measure the voltage as an average, the voltage changes according to the speed.

But since in reality the output from the decoder is a PWM-signal, the peak voltage is always the same,
only the on / off interval timing is changing Cool

At full speed the voltage is 16 V pure DC.

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Webmaster  
#7 Posted : 24 May 2020 19:09:18(UTC)
Webmaster

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post

I have always thought is was 12V... Smile

Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline peter.ross  
#8 Posted : 24 May 2020 19:44:31(UTC)
peter.ross

South Africa   
Hi

The loco used to run.Not too many hours on the system +/-10 hours. the motor is free and turns. The loco was starting fast and then slowing down to the desired speed as per the conttroller. the strange this is that when the speed is turned up on the station 2, the train does not move and the loco sounds stay at a stopped setting. no matter how fast the speed is set.

Offline Hannes Porsche  
#9 Posted : 24 May 2020 22:02:25(UTC)
Hannes Porsche

South Africa   
Hi Peter,

Sorry to read about you problem-loco, which includes:
"No voltage across the motor."
"Then starting fast and then slowing down" all of which does not sound right and contradictory.

Steve gave a comprehensive procedure to eliminate 99% of mechanical faults. Still failing, things become serious, and electronically/programming related.
Questions and answers become very complicated and detailed around those traits. That ......... you already can see from the above tweets.

Run a similar loco on the same conditions and see what happens.

Then, other than getting involved with discussions around: Pulse Width Modulation, DC, AC, meter scales and Root Mean Square values.
You may have to go far in to the past to backtrack events.
Then, if you still use the CS 2 as prescribed and nothing was changed, I would say the decoder output driver transistors for motor current has blown up.

If not successful phone me at 0836160029.
So we can report back on this forum.

HANNES PORSCHE
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hannes Porsche
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 24 May 2020 22:10:44(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yes - and no BigGrin

If you measure the voltage as an average, the voltage changes according to the speed.

But since in reality the output from the decoder is a PWM-signal.........

Thanks Per, I thought later on that it would be something like that, not that I'm an electrical engineer like yourself (not even a pretend one....Wink)

Offline cookee_nz  
#11 Posted : 24 May 2020 22:27:59(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi

The loco used to run.Not too many hours on the system +/-10 hours. the motor is free and turns. The loco was starting fast and then slowing down to the desired speed as per the conttroller. the strange this is that when the speed is turned up on the station 2, the train does not move and the loco sounds stay at a stopped setting. no matter how fast the speed is set.

If the gear train turns freely and the lights work, and change direction it's either the decoder output (odd to fail in both directions) or it's the motor itself.

We can hopefully eliminate any broken wires which you should have spotted.

Try removing and reinstalling the motor brushes (if removeable), otherwise it appears you'll need more advanced troubke-shotting to isolate Decoder or Motor.

If you are comfortable, unsolder (or just cut) the wires between decoder and motor and then test the motor with power directly applied. Being Digital the motor will most likely be DC and you should be able to get a response from a simple 9v battery direct to the terminals.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Purellum  
#12 Posted : 25 May 2020 00:20:08(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

when the speed is turned up on the station 2, the train does not move and the loco sounds stay at a stopped setting. no matter how fast the speed is set.

This puzzles me.

Can you turn the lights and the sound off and on?

If you can, I don't know what is wrong Blushing

If you can't, I think you have a digital communication problem, e.g wrong address setting.

Usually the loco sound should change to driving sounds, even if the motor or the decoder output for the motor is defect;
but I don't have this loco, so I'm not 100% sure.........

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 25 May 2020 00:21:52(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Check that the brushes are seated properly, or maybe even replace them. Bad brushes or un-properly seated brushes can cause the exact issue you describe. I had this exact issue happen recently on a loco I had converted, and I wondered why there were lights but no loco movement. Changing the brushes resolved that.
Offline dominator  
#14 Posted : 25 May 2020 01:06:58(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
One of my BR003 locos [ with DCM ] started to run sluggishly. I could not see anything wrong so took the brushes out and wiped them on a clean cloth. After Fitting the brushes again, the loco ran fine. This comment may be relevant even though my loco was analogue.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline river6109  
#15 Posted : 25 May 2020 03:23:49(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
It may not be what Dereck has suggested but over oiling has a major factor on the brushes and since I've added ball bearings my brushes are as clean as a whistle, unfortunately Märklin has never addressed this problem but still producing these motors. I've noticed one of my diesel shunting locos started to make a squealing noise and when taken the housing off I didn't fit ball bearings to it., all other locos with ball bearings are fine.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline DaleSchultz  
#16 Posted : 25 May 2020 04:06:45(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I once measured the voltage of the motor output of 6080 decoder and found it to be -5 to -15V. Can't recall if I was using a proper meter or if was averaging.

Visualization can be seen at https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com/2007/07/voltage-visualization.html

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 25 May 2020 09:58:58(UTC)
H0

The voltage depends on the controller, the decoder, the decoder settings, and some other parameters.

Using an MS2 with a track voltage of around 16 V, the maximum voltage at the motor will most likely be around 12 V to 14 V.
Using a 6021 with a track voltage of around 22 V, the maximum voltage at the motor will most likely be around 18 V to 20 V.
It's important to use a suitable True RMS voltmeter or an oscilloscope or other appropriate devices to get useful voltage values.

With active load regulation there should be PWM at any speed, no pure uninterrupted DC. But here the decoder and the decoder settings come into the game...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0