Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rhfil  
#1 Posted : 19 May 2020 22:46:31(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I have the Marklin Highstepper with its extensive sound options and will eventually use it on a passenger run between stations using the events feature. But I wonder what sounds would be appropriate for such a run with a steam loco? I imagine the conductor would announce something like "all aboard" just prior to departure and the engineer might blow the whistle or ring the bell but would he use the short whistle or a long one? I think U.S. engineers blow a whistle prior to reaching a crossing. Did German engineers also do that? What about approaching a station? I am not concerned about the operating sounds like coal shoveling or grate shaking - the preset program takes care of that. I am old enough to remember riding a steam loco passenger train but I was not paying much attention to the sounds and it was in the U.S.
Offline Dave Banks  
#2 Posted : 20 May 2020 07:17:46(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Are you referring to this Locomotive: Class S 3/6 Steam Locomotive, the "Hochhaxige" / "High Stepper" Magical – Well-Designed – Elegant The Pride of All Railroaders
In the spring of 1907, Maffei was given an order to build a Pacific compound locomotive for the Royal Bavarian State Railways. Using the Baden "IV f" built by the same company as a basis, Maffei developed the Bavarian S 3/6, which was soon to fascinate generations of railroad fans with its timeless elegant looks characterized chiefly by the four-cylinder compound running gear.

Prototype: Royal Bavarian State Railways class S 3/6 express steam locomotive, subclass d, the "Hochhaxige" / "High Stepper" with 2,000 mm / 78-3/4" diameter driving wheels. Road number 3624. Later 18 441. The locomotive looks as it did around 1912.
D.A.Banks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dave Banks
H0
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 20 May 2020 08:41:28(UTC)
H0

Loco Märklin 39436, it seems.
I'm not sure how much sense the nickname "high stepper" makes.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Dave Banks  
#4 Posted : 20 May 2020 09:58:30(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Would look like this if you were using a ESU download & decoder for example: http://projects.esu.eu/p...arch?cat=7&q=S+3%2F6

Functions:

Key Functions
F0 front light
F1 sound on/off
F2 whistle
F3 short whistle
F4 coal shoveling
F5 heavy load
F6 acceleration/brake time, shunting mode/shunting speed
F7 curve squeal
F8 AUX1
F9 cylinder blow out
F10 conductor's signal
F11 coupler clank
F12 coasting
F13 brake release-/set brake
F14 station announcement
F15 ESU smoke generator
F16 safety valve
F17 rail clank
F18 sanding valve
F19 water pump
F20 injector
F21 water refill
F22
F23 turbo generator/ dynamo off/on
F24 air pump
F25 sound fader
F26 disable brake squeal sound
D.A.Banks
Offline rhfil  
#5 Posted : 20 May 2020 17:21:18(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
People, I don't care which loco is being used for a passenger run. I am hoping someone has an idea when the sounds of a steam loco are used when making a passenger run. Not the engine sounds but when the whistle or bell is used.
Offline bph  
#6 Posted : 20 May 2020 18:26:27(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Hi
have you tried the mdecodertool ? you can download it for free from Marklin
The sound library contains several sounds that might interest you, one example is a departure sequence from era 3 (DE_abfahrsequenz_EpIII)
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 20 May 2020 18:34:40(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
People, I don't care which loco is being used for a passenger run. I am hoping someone has an idea when the sounds of a steam loco are used when making a passenger run.
The answer depends on the period of time, the region, the class of the tracks (main line or branch line) and maybe many other parameters.

It would help to know if your question is about an era I High Stepper used in Bavaria. Answers would be different for an era III DB BR 50 loco or an era IV DB BR 012 loco.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline rhfil  
#8 Posted : 20 May 2020 18:49:47(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Steam locos, Era I/II Bavaria and branch line. Assume loco has bells and whistles.
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 21 May 2020 03:44:12(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I can't recall having seen any videos or films of European trains having the North American style bells.
They would use the whistle to warn of the train's departure, of it's approach to tunnels, crossings, bridges, etc.

A short toot to a warning sound, depending on the situation.

Regards

Mike C
Offline applor  
#10 Posted : 21 May 2020 23:57:00(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
I am hoping someone has an idea when the sounds of a steam loco are used when making a passenger run. Not the engine sounds but when the whistle or bell is used.

I asked this same question so I have the answer, at least for my time period which is valid for at least era3.

The whistle was used when entering a tunnel and when indicated by a 'P' sign. Also if needed to get the attention of railway staff or warn pedestrians.
Conductor whistle is used when leaving the station.
Freight/military trains use the whistle when departing a station.
Bell is used when approaching unguarded level crossings on branch lines at the 'L' indication. Whistle is used if the locomotive has no bell.

https://www.stummiforum....0&p=1936839#p1936839
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline rhfil  
#11 Posted : 22 May 2020 03:10:37(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Nice, thanks. Do you know where the "P" and "L" signs would have been posted?
Offline PJMärklin  
#12 Posted : 23 May 2020 06:53:06(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
DB signals regulations, 1959

DB signals regulations copy.pdf (1,765kb) downloaded 43 time(s).

extracts :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 25 May 2020 10:04:31(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I can't recall having seen any videos or films of European trains having the North American style bells.
German steam locos had German-style bells. You can see them on the boilers of BR 03, BR 50, and other steam locos that were frequently used on branch lines.
The bells were usually not visible outside for diesel and electric locos. The V 140 seems to be an exception.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0