Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline applor  
#1 Posted : 14 May 2020 01:19:38(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Hi all,

I've used Viessmann 450X signals on my layout, they've been in use for over a year without problems.

However one of my 4500 signals decided it would not operate. That is the motor would not switch when making contact - spark visible so electrical contact is OK.

I removed it and tested on other PSU and same problem.

Reading on Stummi forums it seems there is some history of this problem - they either work forever or they fail within a year or two.

One user reported adding some WD-40 down the signal lever hole on the top and tapping the drive shaft which resolved his problem and perfect since.

https://www.stummiforum....=Viessmann+4500#p1648442

I tried the same technique and found tapping the drive shaft did resolve the problem but not permanently. It will switch a few times and now gets stuck in the Go position (originally it had been stuck in Stop position).

I used Inox instead of WD-40 (much the same and probably more suitable than WD-40) though considering only tapping the drive cylinder restores the motor function, I don't think the Inox has done anything.

As a result I feel my only option is to open up the signal and try and determine the fault (likely wiring?)

Has anyone managed to open a Viessmann 450X series signal without damaging the housing?
Or does anyone have another suggestion for me?

Thanks.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 14 May 2020 03:01:55(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

I've used Viessmann 450X signals on my layout, they've been in use for over a year without problems.

However one of my 4500 signals decided it would not operate. That is the motor would not switch when making contact - spark visible so electrical contact is OK.

I removed it and tested on other PSU and same problem.
As a result I feel my only option is to open up the signal and try and determine the fault (likely wiring?)
Has anyone managed to open a Viessmann 450X series signal without damaging the housing?
Or does anyone have another suggestion for me?

Thanks.

I would first wash it out with IPA to get rid of any oiliness that causes moving parts to stick. WD40 and the like are more likely to gum things up as most of these sorts of mechanism are designed to run dry of lubricants.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline applor  
#3 Posted : 18 May 2020 02:53:03(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I didn't try Inox until it failed, so it's not the cause of the failure.

I have tested it a lot since with no further changes and it seems to be working reliably again.

Moving forward if it fails again the best option is to just removing the drive and connect the lever mechanism to a servo.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany