Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BruceOrrell  
#1 Posted : 16 April 2020 16:00:43(UTC)
BruceOrrell

Canada   
My father started using Marklin in the 1950s. As a kid I remember the room we had and the trains all ran very well. I still have the various 800 line of locomotives he used and they work great.

He moved the layout to different house and that was fine too.

Fast forward 15 years and I have finally taken the stuff out of the boxes and set up a room for it. I have a layout area about 14ft long and 4 feet deep with an area at each end that is deeper for yards and sidings.

I have also invested in digital locomotives and controls over the years.

My intent is to setup a layout with both a digital and analog component (not connected in any way). I have a large amount of M Track so I am using it for both. I have completed the digital side of things (2 loops with a reverse) and before moving to analog, I wanted to test it. That is where my frustration is.

I am using a CS2. Works great, and it has my digital locomotives in it. I start to run a train and the newer digital locomotives cannot negotiate curves without derailing (seems to be the steamers with front bogies). Or they will travel along and stop and the CS2 shuts down with a short where the locomotive sits.

I recall this M track being more or less flawless in use but it seems that the newer locomotives cannot handle it. Or is it the track?

Not sure where to turn.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by BruceOrrell
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 16 April 2020 16:21:14(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
There could be a number of things causing it:

a: the slider is not set properly
b.) the axle(s) is out of gauge tolerance
c.) maybe the front truck spring is to weak.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 16 April 2020 17:11:02(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
If it is happening to all your locos then it is probably the track. John above has it covered but not sure if all your locos would have problems.
Is it the same track part(s) that cause the problem.
If starting a new layout I would go for C track to give good running and also avoid a lot of wiring with turnouts etc.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline mbarreto  
#4 Posted : 16 April 2020 17:18:58(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

I think it is not your situatoin, but if the curves are 5120 probably many locomotives can't handle it.
Other aspect to check is to ensure each full curve is at the same level.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline franciscohg  
#5 Posted : 16 April 2020 18:54:23(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi
I run my digital Layout with M track.
The oder the track Is the more the tolerances in manofacturing are higher.
That arises in problems with newer locos running on the oder track. In the End i gave up on oder tracks and get newer wich gave me good results. I also gave up on mostly 5100 series turnouts to avoid troubles.
In some "New" 5200 turnouts problems like yours still existes with no apparent causes, the solution was to Just change it for other one.
Also say that proper, if not perfect, tracklaying is needed
Regards.
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#6 Posted : 16 April 2020 19:58:48(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   
Originally Posted by: BruceOrrell Go to Quoted Post
My father started using Marklin in the 1950s. As a kid I remember the room we had and the trains all ran very well. I still have the various 800 line of locomotives he used and they work great.

He moved the layout to different house and that was fine too.

Fast forward 15 years and I have finally taken the stuff out of the boxes and set up a room for it. I have a layout area about 14ft long and 4 feet deep with an area at each end that is deeper for yards and sidings.

I have also invested in digital locomotives and controls over the years.

My intent is to setup a layout with both a digital and analog component (not connected in any way). I have a large amount of M Track so I am using it for both. I have completed the digital side of things (2 loops with a reverse) and before moving to analog, I wanted to test it. That is where my frustration is.

I am using a CS2. Works great, and it has my digital locomotives in it. I start to run a train and the newer digital locomotives cannot negotiate curves without derailing (seems to be the steamers with front bogies). Or they will travel along and stop and the CS2 shuts down with a short where the locomotive sits.

I recall this M track being more or less flawless in use but it seems that the newer locomotives cannot handle it. Or is it the track?

Not sure where to turn.

I´m also running my digital layout with M track. Check out all the track sections to test if they are leveled; avoid using 5120 industrial tracks (45º); look for good connections between each piece of track in order to avoid shorts and check out the front bogies on your locos. Everything should work OK unless your M track is deteriorated.

Regards
Carlos
My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 16 April 2020 22:10:08(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Bruce

When in good condition, M track works very well with all Märklin locos including digital.
As said before me, 5120 track is not suitable for large locos and cars after 1970 but all others are (except also the large lantern switches which may be in the way of longer passenger cars (more than 24 cm)
Make sure the rails are not bent and track joiner are gripping the next rail
On switches, make sure the counter-rails (the ones across the frog) are in proper position and not bent. Check with a loose axle. Make them sit firm in position by grabbing their extremity under the roadbed with long-nose pliers and gently turn a little.
Bonne chance
Jean

Offline BruceOrrell  
#8 Posted : 21 April 2020 16:10:40(UTC)
BruceOrrell

Canada   
Thanks for the input. I have been working though this and have identified the problems.

First the front truck spring in the locomotive did not appear to be correct. I took it out and re-seated it and it functions better.

Secondly, the 5120 curves were the problem. I have begun removing them and re-laying the track with proper curves.

These two steps have addressed the derailment issues.

The shorting took a little longer to resolve but I found that some track screws were perhaps not in perfect vertical alignment and when the slider came along it would contact the screw head.

All in all, the frustration level is much reduced!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by BruceOrrell
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 21 April 2020 17:01:27(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Bruce
Glad you solved the issue.
On my first Märklin layout with M track (that was between 1961 and 1970) I checked that all Märklin rolling stock of that time was doing very well on 5120 but provided conditions:
- no "S" arrangement,
- no grade/ only horizontal,
- no push-back of long trains at high speed
- tracks in good condition
Cheers
Jean