Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nygma  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2020 22:01:15(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   
Hi Experts,

I have purchased a few second hand Marklin locos and I am in the process of cleaning them and getting them ready for the season. My 55801 is producing a rather strange effects that I cannot explain, nor have any idea how to trace and fix:
1) The headlights flicker and if I run the loco with the headlights on, the motor slows down and revs up again
2) Even with the engine sounds turned off the loco plays engine startup and shutdown sounds continuously. If I turn on the engine sounds, everything is fine, there is idle sounds and the engine revs up as I open the throttle.

The loco looks very new, no wear. It is hardly noticeable, but there are some mould patches on the outside of the engine. Also the pages of the user manual are stuck together. So it has certainly stored in damp area somewhere.

I know it is hard to tell understand the issue with the description above, but please have a look at the footage I have taken. I tried to demonstrate all the issues mentioned above.

Any advice is welcome.

Regards,
Csongor
Offline Purellum  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2020 22:25:47(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I can't tell you what's wrong; but I can see that the decoder is a 6095, which is a quite old decoder.

( Just a thought, if you have DCC on in the CS2, please try to turn it of. I don't know if it will help, it's just a wild shot )

You loco would be so much better with a new ESU XL decoder, running at slow speed would be much better
and much more quiet, and you'll get much better sounds.

I know from the first digital version of the BR91, that it had the same decoder, and that you could get sound as an add-on module.

On those models you couldn't turn the basic sounds of at all; only lights, bell and whistle could be controlled.

The "new" BR91 with the MFX-decoder is like a completely different loco, it's so much better, even if only the decoder is different.

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline nygma  
#3 Posted : 05 April 2020 19:39:46(UTC)
nygma

Hungary   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool
( Just a thought, if you have DCC on in the CS2, please try to turn it of. I don't know if it will help, it's just a wild shot )
Cool

Thanks for this tip. I never thought that this can be a problem. I have taken the loco out to the garden on Saturday where I am running with an MS2. And everything was fine. Today, it was producing the same glitches. So I set my MS2 to only mfx and MM2 and now everything is back to normal.
This is very strange, but at least I know what to do with it.

All my locos are older Marklin with Motorola decoders and sound. I do enjoy sound, but after a while I notice it less and less. Therefore I am less inclined to upgrade it to a modern sound decoder. Having said that I yet to experience a modern mfx decoder. Maybe if I played with an mfx decoder, I would never go back.
I have an Aristo-Craft Class 66 with an ESU XL (XL 3 probably) decoder. It is nice, but I am not blown away by it.