Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ajith  
#1 Posted : 14 March 2020 05:59:02(UTC)
Ajith

United Arab Emirates   
Dear Friends,

Good Morning. Everyone.

I am a novice here. So my question may be nieve BigGrin

I have been doing n gauge railroading for a while using Z21 DCC controller. Mainly Trix and Fleischmann locos with sound etc ..

Recently purchased a Marlkin HO set, Marklin "Bavarian Freight Train" Train Set (Sound Decoder) Marklin 26603. Wanting to get into HO and have the stream in my layout. Below is the product I purchased..

https://www.reynaulds.co...ducts/Marklin/26603.aspx

Upon receiving I found out it lis a 3 rail AC system. This is something I missed out while purchasing. I live in Dubai and there is no train stop here Huh

My question is, do I need a 3 rail AC system or I can run it in my normal HO, 2 rail DCC system ?

Thanks a lot everyone.

Cheers,

Ajith
Offline thing fish  
#2 Posted : 14 March 2020 06:24:49(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: Ajith Go to Quoted Post
... do I need a 3 rail AC system or I can run it in my normal HO, 2 rail DCC system ?

Hi,

Short answer is "no", you cannot run a 3 rail loco on 2 rail system, and 3 rail locos are not easy to convert to 2 rail either. But depending on the decoder specs (others will clarify this I guess) you can use your existing DCC controller on your 3 rail layout. I would consider this as an exciting step into the world of HO and 3 rail.

If you have more questions, just fire away.

Cem.

Offline PeFu  
#3 Posted : 14 March 2020 07:06:37(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: thing fish Go to Quoted Post
... do I need a 3 rail AC system or I can run it in my normal HO, 2 rail DCC system ?

Short answer is "no", you cannot run a 3 rail loco on 2 rail system, and 3 rail locos are not easy to convert to 2 rail either. But depending on the decoder specs (others will clarify this I guess) you can use your existing DCC controller on your 3 rail layout. I would consider this as an exciting step into the world of HO and 3 rail.

Short answer is ”yes”... BigGrin

Your Z21 controller supports Märklin-Motorola (MM) which unfortunately enables you to access only a few digital functions (which you can see in the manual). The Z21 doesn’t support Mfx, which you would need to access all functions.

For tracks, however, you will need Märklin 3 rail types, like ”M”, ”C” or ”K” tracks.

Cool
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline thing fish  
#4 Posted : 14 March 2020 07:14:29(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post
For tracks, however, you will need Märklin 3 rail types, like ”M”, ”C” or ”K” tracks.

So, the short answer is "no" LOL

He's asking if you can run a 3 rail loco on a 2 rail system, not if you can run it with DCC Flapper

To carify: you can run any loco in any digital language as long as the decoder in loco speaks the same language.

C.

Offline Ajith  
#5 Posted : 14 March 2020 07:14:59(UTC)
Ajith

United Arab Emirates   

Hi,

If you have more questions, just fire away.

Cem.

Thank you buddy !

Any link you can direct me for the 3 rail system wiring etc ?
Offline thing fish  
#6 Posted : 14 March 2020 07:36:26(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   

Sure thing.

Well, it is not different from 2 rail, the only difference is that while you have (-) and (+) connected to the two rails you have in 2 rail system, you connect the (+) to the center rail and (-) to both rails on the sides (I mean the two regular rails) in 3 rail system. That's all to the wiring.

C.
Offline Ajith  
#7 Posted : 14 March 2020 08:39:50(UTC)
Ajith

United Arab Emirates   

Sure thing.

Well, it is not different from 2 rail, the only difference is that while you have (-) and (+) connected to the two rails you have in 2 rail system, you connect the (+) to the center rail and (-) to both rails on the sides (I mean the two regular rails) in 3 rail system. That's all to the wiring.

C.

And I connect them directly to my DCC. No need to have a seperate power supply or anything ?

In my case, directly to my Z21 ?

Thx a lot in advance.

Cheers buddy
Offline Howard1975  
#8 Posted : 14 March 2020 08:43:35(UTC)
Howard1975

United States   
Hello, that is a nice looking Marklin "Bavarian Freight Train" Train Set you have bought. I cannot comment on the Z21 controller, because I have never used it. I hope the other people have answered that particular question for you.

As for the track, you will need Marklin 3 rail track. Marklin trains are only compatible with Marklin track. Marklin has made three different types of 3 rail HO gauge tracks, thru the years. They are called the ”M”, ”C” and ”K” tracks. M track is the oldest, not being made anymore. But it was made for over many years, from 1935 until around 2001. So there is a lot available on the used second hand market. M track is a metal roadbed base. From 1935 until the middle 1950's, M track had a solid third rail down the middle. From the middle 1950's until production stopped around 2001, the "center rail" were stud contacts.

In 1969 Märklin introduced the “K-track” system, which had plastic sleepers (ties) and no attached roadbed. And it also contains the stud contacts down the center of the track. K track is meant to be used with wood, cork or foam roadbed. Marklin still produces K track today. It is the only Marklin track line that offers flex-track.

Then the C track was introduced in 1996, (which had it's beginnings in 1988 (the Alpha train). C track contains a plastic molded roadbed. And it also contains the stud contacts down the center of the track.

All Marklin track produced since the middle 1950's (until today), has studs located in the center of the track. All Marklin locomotives need a 3rd rail collector to collect the electricity from the stud contacts. They are also called a pickup shoe slider.

To operate your Marklin train, you will need Marklin track. The choice is yours, you can use any Marklin track, of the C, K and C types. Whatever you like and prefer, they all work fine with Marklin trains. Because your Marklin Bavarian Freight Train is highly detailed and realistic looking, I would recommend the Marklin K or C track. Both are more realistic looking, compared to vintage M track. Some people like to use only one type of track (M, or K or C). While some people use a mixture of all of them, with the proper adapter track pieces, that Marklin also makes.

Marklin trains will not work on 2 rail track, they are designed for 3 rail track.

Other brands of locomotives will not work on Marklin track, unless those locomotives have been purposely designed to run on Marklin track from the factory. Or they have been modified by someone, that added a pickup shoe slider to their locomotive, and modified anything else as needed.

Generally speaking, you run 3 rail Marklin trains on 3 rail Marklin track. And you keep 2 rail trains, on 2 rail track.

Unless you are very experienced in modifying things.

Hope that helps.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Howard1975
Offline Ajith  
#9 Posted : 14 March 2020 09:21:12(UTC)
Ajith

United Arab Emirates   
Originally Posted by: Howard1975 Go to Quoted Post
Hello, that is a nice looking Marklin "Bavarian Freight Train" Train Set you have bought.

Thx a lot buddy ! It really helps ! The loco is a beauty !!

How do I do the connection ? I connect the DCC directly to the tracks like I do for 2 rail system ? In this case of Marklin, one set to the two rails and one lead to the central track ?

Thx again

Edited by moderator 18 March 2020 07:35:52(UTC)  | Reason: Edited to not include entire posts, as we don't need to read it twice!

Offline thing fish  
#10 Posted : 14 March 2020 09:25:22(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
And I connect them directly to my DCC. No need to have a seperate power supply or anything ?

In my case, directly to my Z21 ?

You can connect just like you connect your Z21 to your 2 rail system assuming that it already has a transformer (seperate or integrated). Just check the output voltage of your Z21, it should be 18V DC. AFAIK all digital systems are 18V or thereabouts, but I stand corrected.

As per tracks; C is the most convenient type, many here use C, I've converted to C some time ago from M.

Cem.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by thing fish
Offline thing fish  
#11 Posted : 14 March 2020 09:26:58(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
one set to the two rails and one lead to the central track ?

(-) lead to the two rails, (+) lead to the center rail.

C.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by thing fish
Offline Purellum  
#12 Posted : 15 March 2020 05:08:36(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
And yes, you must buy a complete new digital equipment for AC and 3-rail, otherwise your Bavarian train set will not run.

NO NO NO !!! The Z21 is completely capable of controlling this train set !!! Glare

It has absolutely nothing to do with AC or if it's 3-rail !!!

PeFu gave a perfect and correct answer ThumpUp

You bought a Maerklin train package which always requires AC. If you would have run it on your DC tracks, than you should have bought this train set from Trix and not from Maerklin. Trix is the brand from Maerklin for DC. But both train sets understand the track formats DCC and MM (= Maerklin Motorola). Meanwhile the MM track format is extended to mfx. Maerklin is now offering only AC locos with mfx decoders.

I really wish you would stop telling people this nonsense about AC and DC; there's no AC anywhere in this "Maerklin train package" Blink

The correct is this:

You bought a Maerklin train package which always requires 3 rail tracks. If you would have run it on your 2 rail tracks, than you should have bought this train set in N gauge from Trix and not from Maerklin. Trix is the brand from Maerklin for 2 rail tracks. But both train sets understand the track formats DCC and MM (= Maerklin Motorola). Meanwhile the MM track format is extended to mfx. Maerklin is ( now?? ) offering only locos for 3 rail tracks with mfx decoders.

You've been told hundreds of times...................... Flapper

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline thing fish  
#13 Posted : 15 March 2020 08:22:32(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
You bought a Maerklin train package which always requires AC

Please ...

When it comes to digital, the current on ANY system is DC! Just check the current on your digital 3 rail tracks with a multimeter!

When talking about 3 rail system please stop spreading wrong information; 3 rail digital systems run on DC too, NOT AC.

I know ignorance is bliss, but non-information, still worse, wrong information make people confused and frustrated.

C.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by thing fish
Offline bph  
#14 Posted : 15 March 2020 10:02:27(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: PeFu Go to Quoted Post

Your Z21 controller supports Märklin-Motorola (MM) which unfortunately enables you to access only a few digital functions (which you can see in the manual). The Z21 doesn’t support Mfx, which you would need to access all functions.

Cool

sorry wrong, even the old 6021 can use all functions on this locomotive. activating secondary, 3rd and 4th addresses. Since I don’t have a z21 I cant say for sure that it would work, but I would be surprised if it don’t.

If you get some Märklin K track, and modify the turnouts and feeder track you can use the same track for 2 rail trains as well, But not at the same time. read more here: https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/posts/t12817-DC-on-Marklin-K-track

If you are building a layout, Peco might be an alternative. (using https://peco-uk.com/products/stud-contact-strip-for-track )
but its fiddley work and I don’t really recommend it. have done it on a small layout.
Offline David Dewar  
#15 Posted : 15 March 2020 13:12:30(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Maybe too expensive but if wanting to get into Marklin then why not add one of the cheaper starter sets giving another loco and everything to get started. Anything then that is not fully compatible or requires a certain amount of (confusing) information could be sold this reducing the cost.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline PMPeter  
#16 Posted : 16 March 2020 01:06:57(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Your wording of "always requires AC" is wrong. If you would have said "always requires a 3 rail system" you would have been more correct.

A digital system, as you yourself point out is neither AC or DC, therefore, your "always requires AC" is wrong.

Peter
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#17 Posted : 17 March 2020 09:54:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
For crying out loud Wolfgang, you've made some misleading posts during your time on the forum, but in this thread you have gone to another level. We have mentioned to you previously to stop doing this. I know you are trying to help but if the help given is wrong or misleading it isn't help!

I really should start removing misleading posts from this thread, but I'm not sure where to start.......

I have removed some posts, the forum software automatically moved a bunch of posts from other folks who replied to Wolfgang. Some I have moved back, some I haven't. If you are missing a post, that is why - it hasn't been deleted but rather put in a safe place....
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline tiono  
#18 Posted : 17 March 2020 16:50:11(UTC)
tiono

United States   
Below is the diagram showing track voltage details on Marklin digital 3-rail system, and DCC 2-rail system. Both Marklin digital and DCC actually output AC signal to the track, the voltage swing from positive to negative. In digital system, the difference in track voltage will not be a problem as long as not exceeding the maximum voltage of the decoder.

below is the diagram showing track voltage of Marklin analog and digital system.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by tiono
Offline Purellum  
#19 Posted : 17 March 2020 17:22:20(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: tiono Go to Quoted Post
Both Marklin digital and DCC actually output AC signal to the track, the voltage swing from positive to negative.

No, I'm sorry; but no Cool

The definition of AC is:

Alternating Current (AC) is a type of electrical current, in which the direction of the flow of
electrons switches back and forth at regular intervals
Cool

Or:

In electricity, alternating current (AC) occurs when charge carriers in a conductor or semiconductor
periodically reverse their direction of movement.

( Just found on Google, if you want a more scientific explanation, please ask )

Since neither Märklin digital or DCC changes polarity periodically or at regular intervals, you can't call it AC by the definitions
used by ( almost ) everybody all over the world for more than 100 years Cool

TEEWolfs use of strange nicknames doesn't change anything in this regard Mad

A digital signal is DC per definition; changing polarity according to the given protocol being used Cool

Per.

P.S: And the Z21 is still capable of making a Märklin Motorola digital signal, and thus controlling the loco in question Cool

file:///C:/Users/paa/Downloads/z21-maintenance-english.pdf

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline tiono  
#20 Posted : 17 March 2020 17:48:12(UTC)
tiono

United States   
The track voltage on Marklin digital is indeed AC signal.
It swing from +18V toward -18V (peak-to-peak voltage is 36V). And yes, the direction of electron flow is switched back and forth. You can measure (and see the waveform) on an oscilloscope.
The difference to Marklin AC analog, beside the voltage, is the waveform of the signal and frequency. Marklin AC analog is sinusoidal at constant frequency (50Hz or 60Hz) while Marklin digital is square wave and variable frequency (modulated by the protocol).

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

Both Marklin digital and DCC actually output AC signal to the track, the voltage swing from positive to negative.

No, I'm sorry; but no Cool

The definition of AC is:

Alternating Current (AC) is a type of electrical current, in which the direction of the flow of
electrons switches back and forth at regular intervals
Cool

Or:

In electricity, alternating current (AC) occurs when charge carriers in a conductor or semiconductor
periodically reverse their direction of movement.

( Just found on Google, if you want a more scientific explanation, please ask )

Since neither Märklin digital or DCC changes polarity periodically or at regular intervals, you can't call it AC by the definitions
used by ( almost ) everybody all over the world for more than 100 years Cool

TEEWolfs use of strange nicknames doesn't change anything in this regard Mad

A digital signal is DC per definition; changing polarity according to the given protocol being used Cool

Per.

P.S: And the Z21 is still capable of making a Märklin Motorola digital signal, and thus controlling the loco in question Cool

file:///C:/Users/paa/Downloads/z21-maintenance-english.pdf

Cool

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tiono
Offline H0  
#21 Posted : 17 March 2020 17:50:55(UTC)
H0

It swing from +18V toward -18V (peak-to-peak voltage is 36V).
It can be +/- 16 V or +/- 22 V or a different voltage.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Purellum  
#22 Posted : 17 March 2020 18:00:59(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

The track voltage on Marklin digital is indeed AC signal

No, it's an alternating DC signal Cool

To be considered AC it has to be periodically, otherwise none of the formulas for calculating AC
current or voltage can be used Cool

Period .

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#23 Posted : 17 March 2020 19:48:25(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have a degree in Electronics, albeit my knowledge is now about 40 years out of date, but I did extensive work on digital signal processing and information technology. The endless arguments about whether "Digital is AC or DC" are all quite misplaced as both arguments are right and wrong in about equal measure.

To say that the digital signal is DC is not correct, as DC cannot carry any information. Information is added onto a DC signal by varying the voltage at high frequency and then modulating this variation to represent the information being transmitted, the modulation being done by either varying the frequency or the phase. Simply put, digital signals, by definition, can only have two states, 1 or 0, and the way the voltage changes alternately between the 1 and 0 transmits the information. This is a rather simple explanation so please don't give me a hard time.

We can therefore see that there is an alternating current in the digital signal, in the form of a square wave, whose frequency varies with the modulation. However, nobody ever describes this signal as "AC" because the implication of AC is that of a sinusoidal variation of the voltage, which clearly cannot be done digitally.

My advice is to avoid defining digital signals as either AC or DC, as neither term really applies, and just use the term "Digital Signal".

By the way analogue signals can also have a varying frequency, and in fact this is the way FM radio works. So the waveform can be sinusoidal and yet not be a periodic signal once the information or modulation is added. It does not stop being "AC" though!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Purellum  
#24 Posted : 17 March 2020 19:57:51(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
My advice is to avoid defining digital signals as either AC or DC, as neither term really applies, and just use the term "Digital Signal".

I agree BigGrin

If just people not knowing the difference between 2-rail systems, 3-rail systems, AC, DC and digital signals would stop writing
all their long misleading posts, we wouldn't have these discussions again and again Cool

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Rwill  
#25 Posted : 17 March 2020 20:44:47(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Whilst I agree with what has been said (and not deleted) the M dealers do not help this matter. I am grumpily awaiting my 37180 on order from MSL delivery March.
So I pop on the web site of MSL and get this page:

https://www.modellbahnsh...ch/gb/liste.html?s=37180

So we have without asking Trix 22863 and Marklin 37180. On this page the Trix shows DC and the Marklin AC. Following to each item the Marklin shows Power System AC and the trix Power system DC.
OK so I pay no attention to this detail as I know what they mean. But if I was the OP and looked on the Renaulds web site and saw that lovely set he bought described as AC and can’t find an obvious answer from Renaulds or Marklin so he turns to this website and I suspect up till now is even more confused.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline fkowal  
#26 Posted : 17 March 2020 20:58:02(UTC)
fkowal

Canada   
Exactly, please let us stick to industry noms and not pursue abstract theoretical justifications about why a bipolar variable frequency square wave signal can be called AC. This does not help Mr. Joe Average, nor does it enhance a reputation.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by fkowal
Offline PMPeter  
#27 Posted : 17 March 2020 21:10:04(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I think the OP got his answer very early on and gave his thanks and asked for specifics on how to connect the wires to 3 rail track. He too got the correct answer regarding that aspect and I have not seen a post from him since.

Unfortunately, that is when the wrong information was presented by a member that caused a pointed response from another member and the topic thread spiraled downward in a familiar fashion. With the deletion of a number of posts, this thread now appears to be a jumbled and disjointed topic.

The key point I was trying to make was that yes wrong information was stated, yet newcomers will be confused by the AC and DC descriptions provided by the vendors and manufacturers when it comes to 3 rail and 2 rail digital systems. To me this is a convenient, yet incorrect, differentiation between the 3 rail and 2 rail designations from the analog days, that is still being used today.

Peter
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#28 Posted : 17 March 2020 22:22:15(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The track voltage on Marklin digital is indeed AC signal

No, it's an alternating DC signal

I'm going to be naughty here.....Flapper BigGrin

How come I need to have my multimeter set to the 'AC' setting to be able to measure the voltage.....?

It's probably better to describe it for what it is - more or less a square wave - fast rise time, then a DC bit, then fast (whatever it is called) back to zero.
Offline H0  
#29 Posted : 17 March 2020 22:33:30(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
How come I need to have my multimeter set to the 'AC' setting to be able to measure the voltage.....?
It is not AC. And cheap multimeters without "True RMS" will not measure digital track voltage and will show nonsense instead.

It's probably better to describe it for what it is - more or less a square wave - fast rise time, then a DC bit, then fast (whatever it is called) back to zero.
Not back to zero, but reversed polarity instead.
Selectrix and RailCom have plus, minus, and zero. But with MM, DCC, or mfx there shouldn't be phases without voltage.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Purellum  
#30 Posted : 17 March 2020 23:00:31(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Depending on the quality of multimeter, you'll get very different readings, and since your multimeter
probably doesn't have a "digital signal" setting, you have to use the closest available Cool

Try to set your multimeter to DC voltage, and you'll still be able to measure "something";
this "something" is actually the proof that the digital signal isn't a symmetrical and/or periodically AC BigGrin

Basically everything related to AC can be calculated using "Euler's formula";
if you try to do that with a digital signal you will get wrong results Cool

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler%27s_formula

If you're interested, read also this about Euler's formula; it's been called both "most beautiful theorem in mathematics",
the "greatest equation ever" and "of exquisite beauty" BigGrin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler%27s_identity

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Purellum  
#31 Posted : 17 March 2020 23:07:17(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
But with MM, DCC, or mfx there shouldn't be phases without voltage.

As far as I remember, MFX has phases without voltage; this is when the decoders "talk back" to the MS / CS Cool

BDNZ probably meant "opposite polarity" instead of "zero" BigGrin

It is by the way quite funny that Märklin decoders are able to detect if it is getting an AC-signal or a digital signal;
but some Märklin users still have problems understanding the difference............. LOL Laugh LOL

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline ocram63_uk  
#32 Posted : 17 March 2020 23:38:33(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Ajith, to make things simple. Your digital control box has two cables, one red and one brown, that you use to connect to the tracks, correct?
To connect them to the Maerklin tracks the red cable goes to the contact marked 'B', under the track bed, and the brown cable goes to the 'O' contact.
The rest does not count, AC/DC is a heavy metal rock band. Enjoy :-)
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#33 Posted : 18 March 2020 00:16:18(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
It is not AC. And cheap multimeters without "True RMS" will not measure digital track voltage and will show nonsense instead.

I didn't say it's AC, I said my meter had to be set to the 'AC' setting to be able to measure the voltage. I'm using a Fluke 217 True RMS meter, and my cheapie Digitech True RMS meter confirms the reading.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#34 Posted : 18 March 2020 00:18:51(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Try to set your multimeter to DC voltage, and you'll still be able to measure "something";
this "something" is actually the proof that the digital signal isn't a symmetrical and/or periodically AC BigGrin

The Fluke reads a couple of volts, when I've done this by mistake.
Offline tiono  
#35 Posted : 18 March 2020 02:58:41(UTC)
tiono

United States   
The main difference of AC signal versus DC signal is: the behaviour of its polarity (in other word: the electron flow direction).
AC signal will keep reversing its polarity over time, while a DC signal is not. Even if a DC signal is modulated with digital protocol to form a series of "0" and "1", its polarity does not change.
For example of AC signal in digital: RS-232 serial communication, specified that a logic "1" is represented by -15 to -3 volt, while logic "0" is reprensented by +3 to +15 volt. Therefore the signal polarity is reversing if the logic change from "0" to "1" or vice versa.
Example of modulated DC signal in digital: Arduino pin 1 during uploading. It will output a stream of "0" and "1". Logic "1" is represented by +5 volt (chip Atmega 328, 5V), while logic "0" is represented by 0 volt.

To illustrate in graphical form:

The electrical signal between amplifier and home loudspeaker, is also AC signal:

To test whether a signal is AC (alternating current) or DC (Direct current), we can use a very simple circuit and volt-meter, as show below:
If there are output voltage on both sides (1) then the input is AC, but if the output voltage is only at one side (either 2 or 3) then the input is DC.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by tiono
Offline Ajith  
#36 Posted : 18 March 2020 04:47:47(UTC)
Ajith

United Arab Emirates   
Dear All,

I just wanted to add few things.

First of all thank you for the response, you all are great !!

I am also an engineer, electronics and communication ! So would like to add few things down here!

DCC - Digital Command and Control, used for model railroading carried two ‘elements’. One the necessary power to drive the loco and second is the digital signal for the processor inside the loco to do different functions. It also carries addresses to each loco with loco specific commands. These functions are from speed of the loco to triggering different sounds etc

What is shown in the oscilloscope is a digital signal. What you are seeing is the digital signal which is carrying all the information required for the decoder.

This DCC is DC ! The whole world of ‘digital electrics’ is based on DC. I understand my statement, so lets not start another argument on this. There is also ‘power electronics’ which has AC in it BigGrin

And I believe, I might be wrong here so I leave others to commend. The current and voltage of DCC remains same and it is the driver inside the loco controls the current or voltage going to the loco motor to change the speed. I am not sure the motors are constant current driven or voltage driven.

It is wrong and misleading for Reynolds to put their 3 rail Marklin locos with an ‘AC’ symbol. This is where things went out of control in our discussions.

Z21 can be used to control Marklin 3 rail locos like any DCC system, only thing I need to do is, change the signal / power feed from 2 rail system to 3 rail system. In 3 rail system, both the rails are getting same signal and the contact in the middle carries the second lead / signal.

Yes, may be some functions of marlin mfx+ digital decoder can’t be activated. But I feel if Z21 wants, they could just make an update to address that. More on that, others in the group could add.

Thank you every one !

More time with your locos as some of you may be on a "home quarantine as a precautionary measure", like me :)

Stay positive and happy rail roading. May be this ‘down time’ from office could be used to learn new things BigGrin

Cheers from Dubai.

Ajith
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Ajith
Offline thing fish  
#37 Posted : 18 March 2020 07:01:47(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Dearest Ray,

At cost of "giving you a hard time", I have to disagree LOL

You yourself have said it:

Information is added onto a DC signal by varying the voltage at high frequency ...

The current on digital systems is DC. When you add information (i.e. modify the waweform) is does not loose its property of being DC (reads; it does not change from DC to AC or anything else).

I agree completely; "digital signal IS, and should be CALLED a digital signal". But a digital signal IS NOT alternating or direct current, even more, IS NOT ELECTRIC CURRENT. Electrical current is something different than digital signals. Digital communication uses DC by modifying it to transmit signals, that's all. There's no such thing as digital current, there's only DC carrying digital signals. I never have seen a multimeter with "digital current" setting yet.

C.

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#38 Posted : 18 March 2020 07:30:19(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I've locked this topic as the original question has been answered, and we seem to have had since then more than enough silly nonsense to last a lifetime posted.
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz