Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline eberhardt  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2020 23:31:34(UTC)
eberhardt

United Kingdom   
What advantage is there in buying the CS3+ over the CS3? I want to buy one but don't want to spend the extra for a 3+ if the 3 will do the job. Is the 3+ future proof and are the online updates reliable? I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks John.
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 17 March 2020 01:52:40(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: eberhardt Go to Quoted Post
What advantage is there in buying the CS3+ over the CS3? I want to buy one but don't want to spend the extra for a 3+ if the 3 will do the job. Is the 3+ future proof and are the online updates reliable? I would be grateful for any advice. Thanks John.

The major difference between a CS 3 60226 and a CS 3+ 60216 is the galvanic insulation inside. The CS 3+ has it, the CS 3 not. You read about the differences in the CS 3 manual page 7. You can download the manual from Maerklin's website.

https://static.maerklin....85fc4ac1761561699635.pdf

If you connect a CS 3 quite often with other CS 3 or CS 2, I would recommend a CS 3+. Makes life easier and more secure. In a CAN Bus system only one CS 3 is allowed. If you connected more CS than they must be always CS 3+ or CS 2 (since a certain article number) with the galvanic insulation inside.

Another difference is you connect a S88 decoder directly to a CS 3+. At a CS 3 you always need a Link S 88 60883 first, before you add other S 88 decoders to your CS 3. But this 60833 has already 16 contact possibilities and allows to connect other, older decoders as well. Also he has an own power supply.

See the Maerklin digital system architecture here:

https://www.maerklin.de/...Gesamt%C3%BCbersicht.pdf
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Br01  
#3 Posted : 17 March 2020 02:41:23(UTC)
Br01

Portugal   
Hi,

The normal cs3 will do fine for most applications. Cpu and sw is the same, so the same product life is expected.

If you go for multiple cs3 then (and as counter intuitive as it seems) the normal cs3 can only be used as master and all other cs have to be cs3+ configured as a slave (or cs2 in slave mode).

I have a normal cs3 and a cs2 connected that I use to control two parts of a multilayer layout but mostly use the cs2 as a booster. This is because I use digital decoders inside the turnouts feeding directly from the tracks, and many locos at the same time, so current is demanding (this could also be achieved with a booster, which is much cheaper). Otherwise one cs3 is enough, as you can add additional controls via the iOS app or via any webbrowser connected to the cs3.

Regards
J
Offline eberhardt  
#4 Posted : 17 March 2020 08:17:23(UTC)
eberhardt

United Kingdom   
Thank you TEEWolf and Br01, after reading your info' on both and downloading the links from TEEWolf, I've decided to go for the cheaper option of CS3. My layout isn't going to be very big, 11' x 9', and with only 11 loco's plus about 100 rolling stock I think the abilities of CS3 will more than cover my needs. Like you, Br01, all my turnouts are digital which is going to be easy to control on screen. Also, I can plug in my MS2. Hattons has a second hand CS3 in stock at £500, so I think I'll order that this morning. Thanks again, you've been most helpful, John.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by eberhardt
Offline Rwill  
#5 Posted : 17 March 2020 10:27:53(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Although I like/respect Hattons why buy a second-hand item for the same price that you can buy it new from a recognised official M Dealer in Germany with full warranty and support?
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 17 March 2020 11:24:30(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I would not buy second hand. Also you may want to use S88 facilities and that makes the CS3 almost the same cost as the CS3 plus.
I have the CS3 plus and MSL will do it at a reasonable price and if you join their premium club you get an extra 10% plus 4% bonus. Post is 3 Euros to the UK.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline ktsolias  
#7 Posted : 17 March 2020 11:46:08(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Hi

I am using the CS3 and I am very happy.

Only is you have a CS2 or you have in mind to buy a second CS3 you need the CS3+.

If you need more power you will buy a booster.

As for the S 88 Likn yes has a price (70 €) but on the other had can be used as a S 88 (40€) with the 16 contacts, plus you can use it to connect old S88 if you have any.

As for new or used in the price tag of 500 pounds for the used I suggest to go for a new one with the power supply from a German Dealer with a bit higher price.

60226 = 528€
60041 = 72€
So is about 600€ or 547 pounds from my dealer in Germany plus PP. Not too much difference.

From my experience with Märklin items the second hand are worthy when the price is at 50% of the new one

Regards

Costas
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline Rwill  
#8 Posted : 17 March 2020 12:52:43(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Hattons make no mention of a power supply inclusive in the price and do not list one elsewhere. However there seems to be a little bit of a short term supply problem with the German dealers - probably CS3 or chunks of electronics are currently stuck on a slow boat from China!
Offline eberhardt  
#9 Posted : 17 March 2020 13:33:10(UTC)
eberhardt

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
Hattons make no mention of a power supply inclusive in the price and do not list one elsewhere. However there seems to be a little bit of a short term supply problem with the German dealers - probably CS3 or chunks of electronics are currently stuck on a slow boat from China!

Hi Rwill, you beat me to it, I called Hattons this morning and checked to see if it came with a power supply. It didn't so I ordered a 3+ from Germany, may as well go the whole hog. Thanks for the advice from everyone, it did help with decision making and the price from Germany is only very little more than having to buy the add ons to power up the second hand one. Thanks again, John.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by eberhardt