Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline doublereefed  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2020 18:00:10(UTC)
doublereefed

United States   
Greetings,

I didn't notice this when I was buying cars on eBay, but some of my Umbauwagen three axle coaches have yellow DB cookie logos (and some other markings), and some have white DB cookie logos.

What is behind that difference? I'm hoping that yellow and white logo'd coaches ran together?

Thanks,

-Richard
Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2020 22:28:05(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Richard,

Yes, they ran together. Wagons delivered until ~1957 had inscriptions in RAL 1007, from 1957 the markings were RAL 1015. For the colours compare: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAL-Eisenbahnfarben . The Umbauwagen usually ran in fixed-coupled pairs. So you should always combine pairs of the cars with the same type of markings.

Regards

Markus
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline applor  
#3 Posted : 07 March 2020 01:26:35(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Considering the DB cookie wasn't introduced until the class reform of 1955/56, you'd think therefore that the yellow DB logo was extremely rare?

Also, you say inscriptions but do you mean the DB logo only? The 'Deutsche Bundesbahn' was always written in white, except for a couple of exceptions that I've seen, namely the BR23 and BR85.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline doublereefed  
#4 Posted : 07 March 2020 08:00:41(UTC)
doublereefed

United States   
Markus, applor -

Thank you for that info! 4 are white, 2 are yellow... all markings on the side. DB cookie and all lettering. I'll see if I can find Marklin product numbers on them.

I have one gepackwagen, which has the brake/baggage area along with a 1/2 car of 2nd class. Would that car also have been permanently in a pair?

Also, can I ask another question? How were these brakeman's cabins used? Did some poor brakeman have to ride in that the whole trip? Would a train have had several of these cars with brake cabins, or just one per train?

Thanks!

-Richard

boxcar.jpg
Offline Markus Schild  
#5 Posted : 07 March 2020 08:52:33(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Richard,

Nearly all cars have been in pairs. Among 6500 cars made, only two or three single wagons (or triples) are known and used as an excuse on several model-railroads. The BD (second class / baggage) was paired to any other type (AB (1st/2nd class) or B (2nd class). But no pairs of BD are known.

Yes, "poor brakemans" had to travel the hole trip in that cabin before air-brake-systems were used (in goods trains in Germany from 1925) . Depending on the topography just in a few or also in all wagons of a freight train. More in German: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bremserplatz

Regards

Markus

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline doublereefed  
#6 Posted : 07 March 2020 22:42:06(UTC)
doublereefed

United States   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Richard,

Nearly all cars have been in pairs. Among 6500 cars made, only two or three single wagons (or triples) are known and used as an excuse on several model-railroads. The BD (second class / baggage) was paired to any other type (AB (1st/2nd class) or B (2nd class). But no pairs of BD are known.

Yes, "poor brakemans" had to travel the hole trip in that cabin before air-brake-systems were used (in goods trains in Germany from 1925) . Depending on the topography just in a few or also in all wagons of a freight train. More in German: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bremserplatz

Regards

Markus

Markus, thank you for that detail. I will couple the BD with one of my other white logo umbauwagen. I have six, so it should work out well.

That wikipedia answered so many questions about the bremserplatz. Very interesting, and a unique piece of history. Thanks for the explanation.

Best!

-Richard
Offline doublereefed  
#7 Posted : 10 March 2020 17:06:32(UTC)
doublereefed

United States   
Markus, Purellum,

Thank you for many replies on DB rolling stock.

Can you take another question? I've been watching Spur 1 videos on Youtube, and have occasionally seen this type of 3 axle packwagen used with umbauwagen, but also used as a last car ("caboose") on a freight train. Is this prototypical, were these 3 axle packwagens used this way?

packwagen.jpg

I would love a 2 axle packwagen like this, but they are REALLY expensive. Sigh.

2axlepackwagen.jpg

Thanks!

-Richard
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by doublereefed