Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline bobhunt  
#1 Posted : 02 March 2020 05:35:49(UTC)
bobhunt

Hi, my name is Bob Hunt, I live in Australia and have a C track layout. When I first built the layout I was able to use a timer with the Central Station to run a couple of locos daily over my main tracks and this worked well in keeping the electrical contact clean with smooth running.

Some years ago I replaced the CC with an ESU controller and I was advised that I needed to boot it up and shut it down for each operating session - thus putting the automatic operation described out of business.

Where I live we have periods of high humidity, my layout is not in an atmospherically sealed space, is away from the house, and going to it to operate the layout each day is not really practical. The result is that most times that I switch the layout on I have to clean the power studs with a Peco rail-cleaner rubber - which works, but takes time, uses a lot of rubber (the studs are of course sharp), which then has to be vacuumed away. Such cleaning I do because I have to, but its effect is not long-lasting. It would be much easier if I could revert to something like I previously had!

I was reading in the Marklin magazine the article on automatic running which caused me to wonder whether in the 10 or so years since I last looked at this whether technology exists or has emerged which would allow me to institute an operating system which would reintroduce something like I had to maintain good contact?

Over to you geniuses.
Bob
Bob Hunt
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 02 March 2020 10:03:46(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Use the new owen technology; pyrolitic cleaning!
You can use your old timer relay to send an over-current into your layout once a day. It will definetly fry away all dirt and anything else left on -or connected to- the track!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Gregor  
#3 Posted : 02 March 2020 10:50:24(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
It will definetly fry away all dirt and anything else left on -or connected to- the track!

That would include the decoders in the locomotives and the lights in the rolling stock.....?

I am not sure I understand this method.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline danmarklinman  
#4 Posted : 02 March 2020 14:59:43(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: bobhunt Go to Quoted Post
Hi, my name is Bob Hunt, I live in Australia and have a C track layout. When I first built the layout I was able to use a timer with the Central Station to run a couple of locos daily over my main tracks and this worked well in keeping the electrical contact clean with smooth running.

Some years ago I replaced the CC with an ESU controller and I was advised that I needed to boot it up and shut it down for each operating session - thus putting the automatic operation described out of business.

Where I live we have periods of high humidity, my layout is not in an atmospherically sealed space, is away from the house, and going to it to operate the layout each day is not really practical. The result is that most times that I switch the layout on I have to clean the power studs with a Peco rail-cleaner rubber - which works, but takes time, uses a lot of rubber (the studs are of course sharp), which then has to be vacuumed away. Such cleaning I do because I have to, but its effect is not long-lasting. It would be much easier if I could revert to something like I previously had!

I was reading in the Marklin magazine the article on automatic running which caused me to wonder whether in the 10 or so years since I last looked at this whether technology exists or has emerged which would allow me to institute an operating system which would reintroduce something like I had to maintain good contact?

Over to you geniuses.
Bob

Hi Bob I use only the Marklin Mob 2 and Märklin signal breaking module to create a automatic layout without the fuss!! If your interested in this feature I can explain further if you wish. Cheers Dan.
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline IanC  
#5 Posted : 02 March 2020 17:40:09(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
You can explain it to me on Saturday!

IanC
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by IanC
Offline danmarklinman  
#6 Posted : 02 March 2020 21:36:37(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: IanC Go to Quoted Post
You can explain it to me on Saturday!

IanC

Yes of courseLOL
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline Drongo  
#7 Posted : 04 March 2020 12:49:01(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: bobhunt Go to Quoted Post

Over to you geniuses.
Bob

Hi Bob, I'm in Sydney and we have the high humidity mainly in February and March. I also have an EcoS and I leave it on all the time. I've been doing this for over 4 years and (touch wood) without problems.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline applor  
#8 Posted : 04 March 2020 22:58:43(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Hi Bob,

I am in Brisbane and have struggled with centre stud corrosion. After determining the cause was always the centre studs I tried using graphite to protect them whilst providing conductivity.

That by itself does not work. I run my trains on the weekends and after a humid week I had dead spots everywhere when I next ran them.

I have now bought a de-humidifer and keep things around 45-50% RH, seems to be working so far.

I understand your room is not sealed but I think unless you can control humidity then you will always have this problem.

Automatic train running may work but depending on layout design you can't auto run trains into all your sidings and turntable sheds and BW area etc.
(well I guess you could with a very advanced plan with rocrail but then if something goes wrong and your at work.... also the continual power use and wear/tear on your trains)
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline Bondijohn  
#9 Posted : 10 March 2020 03:34:22(UTC)
Bondijohn

Australia   
Bob,

I feel your pain. Blink Blink

I live at Bondi, fairly close to the beach. My modest layout, a preformed Noch, in the third bedroom. I’ve had constant problems with a minor dusting of salt induced rust over the c track. I purchased a Lux - modellbau carriage which has a small motor which activates a sanding strip below it. When moving the sanding strip agitates above the pukos. Unfortunately the carriage needs to be pushed, not pulled, and doesn’t like the c track points.

I try to run at least two trains every second day to prevent the rust build up. If I miss a couple of days I find I have to lightly run 120 sandpaper over the track to have current flow. Not ideal but I have yet to find a suitable, and easy to manage alternative.

Regards,

John
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 10 March 2020 10:40:52(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Well I don't know what I've done right but my layout was exposed to acidity (vinegar vapors) for a couple of years and yes the humidity gave me a lot of headaches in the winter months., since than I've sealed the garage completely + the extension of the garage had a better insulation package.
High easterly winds separated the ceiling insulation but since than I've also covered the cover plate on top of the roof (this where all the wind entered., before that I had no dust in the whole garage and it should be the same again., regarding the humidity it improved a lot over the winter month and I'll add more insulation this year., against humidity and heat in summer.

my layout is 40 years old and I'm surprised it lasted that long, some of the tracks had been changed when we altered the track system but re-used some older tracks (should have replaced the lot., we had numerous dead spots on the layout and my son eventually go rid of most of them, my old K-track wide turnouts are still troublesome with the centre lever not moving completely sideways but I've found a solution for this to lift up the lever and move it in the direction it doesn't reach the end position, this is a risky method as one can brake the contact arm of the lever and you can say goodby to the turnout and replace it with some putty to fill in the gap., also the underneath the board motor mechanism was changed to ESU servo motors and they work now perfectly, where as before there was to much play with the Märklin under board mechanism., another problem was when the power was off , it could happen the slider of the solenoid moved and could also move the tongue slightly..
I would recommend doing the insulation as thing only get worse., some of our track are down to the minimal height, just above the sleepers so any cleaning could result in not having any contact any more., another problem with the k-track used to be and still is whereas the inner track section moves forward to the tongue and when the slider goes over it, it shortens the track.

We also going to have a very close look at turning the ECoS off each time after a running session because our system works perfectly so long there is not a train in a braking section and if there is, the automatic system is floored unless you look at each individual train and make sure its in the right position, I hope it would be different if we ever go to a computer system., when you have about 60 trains running on a consecutive running order it becomes pretty hard to have the right set up for an automated system.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode