Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H0  
#151 Posted : 09 January 2020 08:20:13(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
It is boaring to hear agin and again and again every time what has happened ages ago. If somebody is frightend about any product, then just do not buy it. Live can be very easy.
It is also boring to hear from Märklin again and again how bad the quality of items made in China was and that they are bringing production back to Europe (where "bringing back" means that former "Made in Germany" and intermittent "Made in China" becomes "Made in Hungary").

Märklin are very secretive with their ongoing China production and very notorious with their ongoing China bashing. This explains the highly emotional reaction of some Märklin fans when another "Made in China" sticker is shown on this forum.

MRR is an emotional hobby. IMHO too many Märklin fans believe that production in China ended long ago, thanks to Mother M*'s ongoing China bashing - and it's good those folks hear the truth from time to time.

BTW: We heard several times here that people have fewer production faults with Märklin "Made in China" than with Märklin "Made in Hungary". Yes, Quality Assurance is a big topic. A big topic for Märklin.

IIRC all Autumn surprise models from Märklin were made in China, so this one perfectly suits the line. There should be no risk of Zinkpest.
But will spare parts (motors) still be available in five or ten years?

The model looks nice and seems to drive well. Let's get back to discussing the model. It doesn't really matter where it was made. Don't buy Märklin if you do not want "Made in China".
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Unholz  
#152 Posted : 09 January 2020 09:03:59(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

But will spare parts (motors) still be available in five or ten years?

Who knows? Wink I hope it doesn't mean anything that currently most of the parts are not yet available: https://www.maerklin.de/de/produkte/details/article/39520/

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline Goofy  
#153 Posted : 09 January 2020 11:20:14(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

It is now confirm made in China by cheap chinise workers with low payment.

And you know this how? What evidence do you have for this statement?

The prices of the locomotive is however too high to be made in China.

And what evidence do you have for this statement?

Why do Märklin produce expensive train models in China?
Because of the cheap chinese worker.

Cool

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Unholz  
#154 Posted : 09 January 2020 14:45:36(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
According to this very recent post in the Stummi forum (which will of course have to be verified), NO spare parts other than those currently listed on Märklin's website will ever be available for the 39520. A German dealer therefore recommends buying a second unit if you want ample spares. LOL https://www.stummiforum.de/viewt...c.php?p=2059687#p2059687

In the same Stummi thread, one member also points out that the pantographs not only have a unique design but are also screwed to the roof in a most unusual manner. A replacement by other Märklin or Sommerfeldt products does not seem easily possible. However, Märklin appears to be thinking about an add-on wide "wiper" so that the model could be used unter catenary.
Offline Goofy  
#155 Posted : 09 January 2020 14:56:54(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post
According to this very recent post in the Stummi forum (which will of course have to be verified), NO spare parts other than those currently listed on Märklin's website will ever be available for the 39520. A German dealer therefore recommends buying a second unit if you want ample spares. LOL https://www.stummiforum.de/viewt...c.php?p=2059687#p2059687

In the same Stummi thread, one member also points out that the pantographs not only have a unique design but are also screwed to the roof in a most unusual manner. A replacement by other Märklin or Sommerfeldt products does not seem easily possible. However, Märklin appears to be thinking about an add-on wide "wiper" so that the model could be used unter catenary.

And the model cost about 589,00 euro...made in cheap country!

LOL LOL

H0
Offline 60904  
#156 Posted : 09 January 2020 19:24:11(UTC)

Germany   
Well, having made bad experience with models from China, I think I am allowed to be worried and give my comment on the firm's policy.
Greetings
Martin
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 60904
Offline kiwiAlan  
#157 Posted : 09 January 2020 23:38:13(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post

And the model cost about 589,00 euro...made in cheap country!

LOL LOL

Oh, so about the same price and made in the same country as your ipad that you mentioned in another thread.

You keep talking about cheap workers and cheap country, but never offer any evidence. What you reply to my post further up this thread is not evidence. You just keep putting more noise on the thread without anything substantial to back it up. You really are living up to your non-de-plume.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline TEEWolf  
#158 Posted : 10 January 2020 01:40:20(UTC)
TEEWolf

Cool

Goofy you forgot:

,,, and for the rich Swedish buyers Cool to susidize Maerklins profit rate.LOL LOL LOL
Offline Goofy  
#159 Posted : 10 January 2020 09:20:52(UTC)
Goofy

Oh, so about the same price and made in the same country as your ipad that you mentioned in another thread.

You keep talking about cheap workers and cheap country, but never offer any evidence. What you reply to my post further up this thread is not evidence. You just keep putting more noise on the thread without anything substantial to back it up. You really are living up to your non-de-plume.

And you know yourself that chinese workers are cheap in payment which also Märklin know about it.

LOL
H0
Offline Goofy  
#160 Posted : 10 January 2020 09:22:59(UTC)
Goofy

Cool

Goofy you forgot:

,,, and for the rich Swedish buyers Cool to susidize Maerklins profit rate.LOL LOL LOL

Märklin are expensive in Sweden too.

H0
Offline hxmiesa  
#161 Posted : 10 January 2020 10:05:48(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Hum... It seems to me, that the most forum-noise comes from people COMPLAINING about other peoples complaints (being it about China and/or Märklin) than the people actually pointing out a crititcal flaw or problem!

Typical way of going after the person instead of the problem, just because one doesnt agree with a certain complaint.

The primary interest is the model at hand. (and for me, it really doesnt have to be limited to products only from Märklin)
It is okay to get information about running characteristics and where it is made.
It is equally valid to loud concerns about availability of spareparts and quality of the materials used.
Only by openly recognizing the products good quality AND that it is made in China (in this particular case), can the negative bias about China be corrected.
Equally, we also need to know that quality problems were present in previous models from China (again, China in this particular case), in order to determine if Märklins quality-control is on the rise and problems has been remedied.
Some people will want the model for its good looks and excellent running, but OTHERS might not want to risk that amount of money on a model that COULD be suffereing from zinkpest or lack of spareparts. In this case, Märklins chinese quality-control needs to EARN themselves a better track-record. Certainly not a thing that can be done overnight, especially with zinkpest taking up to 12 years to manifest itself.
So I think it is okay for the sceptics to remind the fanboys of the crude reality of product and company quality... IMHO as always.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline esgovipa  
#162 Posted : 10 January 2020 10:44:06(UTC)
esgovipa

Spain   
Mine Kofferli running in the club´s layout. For me, Marklin top model!!!

Enjoy it.

Best regards
"https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=rapama14"
UserPostedImage
IC1968
UserPostedImage
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by esgovipa
Offline Goofy  
#163 Posted : 10 January 2020 17:16:26(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Hum... It seems to me, that the most forum-noise comes from people COMPLAINING about other peoples complaints (being it about China and/or Märklin) than the people actually pointing out a crititcal flaw or problem!

Typical way of going after the person instead of the problem, just because one doesnt agree with a certain complaint.

The primary interest is the model at hand. (and for me, it really doesnt have to be limited to products only from Märklin)
It is okay to get information about running characteristics and where it is made.
It is equally valid to loud concerns about availability of spareparts and quality of the materials used.
Only by openly recognizing the products good quality AND that it is made in China (in this particular case), can the negative bias about China be corrected.
Equally, we also need to know that quality problems were present in previous models from China (again, China in this particular case), in order to determine if Märklins quality-control is on the rise and problems has been remedied.
Some people will want the model for its good looks and excellent running, but OTHERS might not want to risk that amount of money on a model that COULD be suffereing from zinkpest or lack of spareparts. In this case, Märklins chinese quality-control needs to EARN themselves a better track-record. Certainly not a thing that can be done overnight, especially with zinkpest taking up to 12 years to manifest itself.
So I think it is okay for the sceptics to remind the fanboys of the crude reality of product and company quality... IMHO as always.

Märklin did just present another swiss model Be 4/6 and the price are €520,00!
I beat this loco too will be made in China too.
The Köfferli 39520 do have not fair price.
Hopefully there is not zinkpest as suprise later...

H0
Offline David Dewar  
#164 Posted : 10 January 2020 17:19:50(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: esgovipa Go to Quoted Post
Mine Kofferli running in the club´s layout. For me, Marklin top model!!!

Enjoy it.

Looks good . Strange how those who have the model like it but those don’t have take chance at a bit of Marklin bashing. As for spare parts in five years time who knows. As for China they make a lot of products so just don’t buy them and find a country you like. If you have nothing positive to say they don’t say it. Genuine concerns from those owning the model are more than welcome but we don’t appear to have any.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Unholz  
#165 Posted : 10 January 2020 18:09:48(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
If you have nothing positive to say they don’t say it.

Are you assuming the role of some kind of "super moderator" and trying to teach us what we are allowed to say here? Cursing OhMyGod I do think it's time for a real moderator to step in and explain the rules of free speech to this member. Sad

Offline kiwiAlan  
#166 Posted : 10 January 2020 18:14:29(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Märklin did just present another swiss model Be 4/6 and the price are €520,00!
I beat this loco too will be made in China too.
The Köfferli 39520 do have not fair price.
Hopefully there is not zinkpest as suprise later...

IIRC when researching the Kofferli after Marklin announced it, I found that the be 4/6 is related, so yes it will probably build from many of the same parts. I would not be surprised if it is built in the same factory as the Kofferli.

Offline shannon  
#167 Posted : 10 January 2020 18:15:18(UTC)
shannon

I like and buy and play with marklin but I also criticize and laugh at marklin for its omissions, negligence at dimension scale, and reality on which other manufacturers has never made such mistakes.
Some members on this forum said if you don't like marklin why not come to other forum?
I would say if someone didn't like marklin they never appear here or even has never hear of this forum.
I criticise marklin as I look forward to seeing more progress
on products from marklin.
I started up this thread and questioned this locomotive but I also bought this loc as well to prove I support marklin. Here are some pictures of 39520 which arrived two days ago.

OI000131.jpg
OI000136.jpg
OI000126.jpg
OI000138.jpg
OI000134.jpg
OI000140.jpg
OI000133.jpg
OI000137.jpg
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by shannon
Offline David Dewar  
#168 Posted : 10 January 2020 18:26:34(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Good to hear you have the model. And support Marklin . If there are any problems it is good to know but so far this does appear well worth buying.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline mrmarklin  
#169 Posted : 10 January 2020 18:31:58(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
I think it's fair to say at this point that Marklin problems with Zinkpest are in the past.

The models that had this are over 10 years old, I believe and that newer models such as 39241 series and 37015 have been excellent with no problems.
These are detailed models and in many cases one-off production like the Kofferli. The SNCF Lok was not a one-off, but I doubt Marklin knew it would be as popular among its Germanic customers as it has proved to be. The first production run completely sold out, and quickly. All these series were produced in China for economic reasons such as detail and potential lack of interest in short series Loks. If one is a prototype modeler modelling Era III Germany (this is the biggest market segment) how many Kofferli Loks or SNCF Loks are you likely to buy?? Yet we have these wonderful models.

Considering the detail and projected short production runs, I don't think these models are overpriced.Cool
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline H0  
#170 Posted : 10 January 2020 20:39:30(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
I think it's fair to say at this point that Marklin problems with Zinkpest are in the past.
I think it's fair to say that people know since the 1930s how to make good long-lasting ZAMAK.
Cases of Zinkpest in this century are the result of greed.
I do hope that Märklin have clauses in their agreements with sub-contractors that make new cases of Zinkpest very very unlikely.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Webmaster  
#171 Posted : 10 January 2020 21:36:06(UTC)
Webmaster

but what are you looking for in a forum about Maerklin?

We are looking for the best models that can run on the Märklin (Maerklin) system, and that does not exclude other manufacturers - especially if they are good models.

I have seen a number of videos of the 39520 now, and I think it looks good - but on narrow radii it can look rather peculiar as Unholz has observed.
For me it's a loco I will skip since I'm a steamer fan, but I fully understand the members who love it - or have other opinions about it... Smile
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline TEEWolf  
#172 Posted : 11 January 2020 00:24:28(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post

We are looking for the best models that can run on the Märklin (Maerklin) system, and that does not exclude other manufacturers - especially if they are good models.

I have seen a number of videos of the 39520 now, and I think it looks good - but on narrow radii it can look rather peculiar as Unholz has observed.
For me it's a loco I will skip since I'm a steamer fan, but I fully understand the members who love it - or have other opinions about it... Smile

Oh, I do have non-Maerklin locos too, but the Maerklin locos, especially the latest Insider models, I obtained (e.g. 39436, a S 3/6 in green, but looks like from China), are really very good, recommendable models.BigGrin I did not buy this croc, because I do not like brownies very much.Huh Smile

At all these nice pictures have you seen any signs for a zinc pest? I could not recognize anything about a zinc pest. Unfortunately I had to read some stubborn comments and posts sounding more like an off-topic expositor pest.Laugh
Offline Goofy  
#173 Posted : 11 January 2020 10:17:12(UTC)
Goofy

There is always pro and cons about train models.
So does about Märklin.
Without present cons, how can you even be sure there is no problems without present cons either too?
The real problem with the Köfferli is the price and the model are made in China.
Didn´t Märklin verified all models produce in Europe and no more in China, because of porr quality control?
When a swiss model cost €589,00 i suppose the model must been in damn good quality without future problems.
H0
Offline esben2009  
#174 Posted : 11 January 2020 10:51:08(UTC)
esben2009

Denmark   
When I look at my other stuff from LS-Models and NME, all made in China and more expensive than Märklin, then I see highquality products.

Nobody says these brands shall be more cheap because they are made in a low wage country. Can someone explain to me why it is different for Märklin ?
Märklin C-tracks, CS3+, Focus on SBB/BLS epoke IV-VI
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by esben2009
Offline Herrfleck  
#175 Posted : 11 January 2020 13:34:46(UTC)
Herrfleck

Sweden   
At all these nice pictures have you seen any signs for a zinc pest? I could not recognize anything about a zinc pest. Unfortunately I had to read some stubborn comments and posts sounding more like an off-topic expositor pest.

ORGINAL POSTED BY TEE Wolf.

Hello!

I think it is a very nice model!!

And one of the best looking model I have!!

You can of course not see any zinkpest now.

It takes approx 4—5 years minimum before it is visibile and some time after 10—15 ? Years.

I realy Hope al on this forum that (think) that it is over with zinkpest is right.

I realize that I have more Märklin models (not made in Märklin)
And they are not Old enugh to be sure they not have zinkpest.

Regards

Bertil.
- since my lack in english I don't write so much here.. but learn by trying right? :) -

//Bertil
Offline mbarreto  
#176 Posted : 11 January 2020 17:39:39(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: esben2009 Go to Quoted Post
When I look at my other stuff from LS-Models and NME, all made in China and more expensive than Märklin, then I see highquality products.

Nobody says these brands shall be more cheap because they are made in a low wage country. Can someone explain to me why it is different for Märklin ?

I think most members don't care so much about those brands and that is why you don't see "complains". I also didn't care at all, but most recently, considering the style of Märklin coaches, I am considering in buy some (very few) LS Models in 2020 to see how they perform.

Are ESU models made in China too?

After all I read I think the 39520 is a great locomotive. I don't buy it because I prefer spend time with other locomotives :).

Miguel

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline DRG  
#177 Posted : 12 January 2020 09:31:41(UTC)
DRG

A terrible big mistake Märklin!

ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown

No doubt about it.

What a misconstruction by Märklin. ThumbDown ThumbDown ThumbDown

It makes me shiver.OhMyGod

By the end of september 2014 the US Army will leave Schweinfurt after almost seventy years. This is a very sad news.
a salute to Schweinfurt http://www.schweinfurt.army.mil/infovault/salute.html
Offline DRG  
#178 Posted : 12 January 2020 09:35:25(UTC)
DRG

Miguel:
Quote:
Are ESU models made in China too?

Yes !

The have more then one manufacturer
By the end of september 2014 the US Army will leave Schweinfurt after almost seventy years. This is a very sad news.
a salute to Schweinfurt http://www.schweinfurt.army.mil/infovault/salute.html
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DRG
Offline dickinsonj  
#179 Posted : 27 January 2020 16:19:03(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
OK - here is one last try at getting this thread back to actually being about the 39520 and not its country of origin. BigGrin

Mine arrived last week and I have been running it on my track for a few days now. It runs very well and it is very nicely featured and finished. It certainly looks great with perfect paint and imprinting. The Köfferli trucks sit appropriately close to the loco body in my opinion and they only look a little odd on very tight curves, which can be said of pretty much all HO locos. ThumpUp

If the doubters prove to be correct and it falls apart due to being made in China I will be sure to report it. Until then I just plan to enjoy this beauty and not worry about potential problems. That is what I have done with my other high end Mäklin locos made in China and I have yet to have a problem, although the minimum 4-5 year zinkpest incubation period has not yet ended for them.

Like most of life how you view the world depends mostly upon your point of view. I see the posts about what a horrible mistake this loco was for Märklin, while all I see is a cool new addition to my roster.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline David Dewar  
#180 Posted : 27 January 2020 16:49:26(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
OK - here is one last try at getting this thread back to actually being about the 39520 and not its country of origin. BigGrin

Mine arrived last week and I have been running it on my track for a few days now. It runs very well and it is very nicely featured and finished. It certainly looks great with perfect paint and imprinting. The Köfferli trucks sit appropriately close to the loco body in my opinion and they only look a little odd on very tight curves, which can be said of pretty much all HO locos. ThumpUp

If the doubters prove to be correct and it falls apart due to being made in China I will be sure to report it. Until then I just plan to enjoy this beauty and not worry about potential problems. That is what I have done with my other high end Mäklin locos made in China and I have yet to have a problem, although the minimum 4-5 year zinkpest incubation period has not yet ended for them.

Like most of life how you view the world depends mostly upon your point of view. I see the posts about what a horrible mistake this loco was for Märklin, while all I see is a cool new addition to my roster.

Good to see another satisfied customer. A few will always go against anything from Marklin but as I doubt they buy anything anyway it is best to go with those who speak with the experience of actually having the model. Easy to talk about zincpest from the past but hopefully this has been sorted and will not again occur. If you do find a fault it is also important to let us know.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Armando  
#181 Posted : 01 February 2020 03:55:56(UTC)
Armando

United States   
This one too was made in China! Angry

Kofferli.jfif (67kb) downloaded 60 time(s).
Best regards,
Armando García

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Armando
Offline river6109  
#182 Posted : 01 February 2020 05:49:11(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I don't like the idea with spare parts, its something anybody could face down the track with a broken part, I bought a steam loco knowing there was a missing front bogie but I didn't think it was so hard to find a replacement part and it wasn't from Märklin. bought it off Ebay, the same occurred with the Turmwagen although I was told this was because Märklin went into receivership.

buying spare parts for this loco now would or could bring the price up to a Euro 1000.00 as spare parts are always 10 times dearer than when you buy a loco, this was evidence when I bought a Märklin Traxx loco which I bought under A$ 100.00 but 2 axles cost me as much as the whole loco. (Euro 60.00).
It would also be impossible to decide what type of spare parts should you purchase for your own use or later selling spare parts on the open market.

Again if you look at the production of Märklin models it seems to me it is directed at the collector (who has the loco sitting in a display cabinet) and not the train enthusiast who has its loco running on a layout., otherwise you would think they'll have spare parts down the track.
Märklin must run a very tight budget with no unnecessary overheads such as spare parts.

I personally don't care where the loco was produced and I don't think it would lose on value because it was made in China., the model itself what I've seen is well made and the reports I've read are excellent., also the distance between the front and middle part wasn't as bad as first reported.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Goofy  
#183 Posted : 01 February 2020 08:54:33(UTC)
Goofy

I have seen this model for two weeks ago and it looks very nice.
The model does not have such a great distance between the front and the main cover.
But when the locomotive starts dosing in tight curves, it exposes itself a lot between the front and the main cover.
H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline kiwiAlan  
#184 Posted : 01 February 2020 15:18:35(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
The model does not have such a great distance between the front and the main cover.
But when the locomotive starts dosing in tight curves, it exposes itself a lot between the front and the main cover.

Well now, that is a change of tune, now you have seen one 'in the flesh' instead of just photos and videos of it going around sharp curves. Huh

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Goofy  
#185 Posted : 02 February 2020 12:31:46(UTC)
Goofy

Well now, that is a change of tune, now you have seen one 'in the flesh' instead of just photos and videos of it going around sharp curves. Huh

In fact does the pictures in this topic make difference to allow discuss pro and cons.
Not always does pictures says truth.

H0
Offline shannon  
#186 Posted : 03 February 2020 04:14:31(UTC)
shannon

3 Crocodile brothers

OI000131.jpg
OI000145.jpg
OI000148.jpg
OI000213.jpg
OI000221.jpg
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by shannon
Offline Bondijohn  
#187 Posted : 15 February 2020 05:35:49(UTC)
Bondijohn

Australia   
Received my Kofferli mid week with the accompanying carriage set 46520. The loco was unpacked today for loading into the CS2. All went well with all functions working. However the icon did not and is not in the CS2 loco database.

This raises two questions. Firstly do I need to reload the mfx details? Or do I need to upload the latest CS2 upgrade?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

John
Offline shannon  
#188 Posted : 15 February 2020 08:38:57(UTC)
shannon

Originally Posted by: Bondijohn Go to Quoted Post
Received my Kofferli mid week with the accompanying carriage set 46520. The loco was unpacked today for loading into the CS2. All went well with all functions working. However the icon did not and is not in the CS2 loco database.

This raises two questions. Firstly do I need to reload the mfx details? Or do I need to upload the latest CS2 upgrade?

Regards

John

Referring to the catalog of 39520 at Marklin web, showing this locomotive shall apply to version 4.2 software on CS2 or version 3.55 on MS2.

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/39520/

Offline dickinsonj  
#189 Posted : 15 February 2020 15:07:39(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Although I continue to run and enjoy my 39520, I do have a strange new behavior to report. Over the last week or so it has been parked in my yard, which does not have a power bus in all sections. It was in an area where I have seen other locos stop on occasion, maybe due to a dead spot in the track. But it is getting power and what it is doing is totally new to me. I would be interested to see if anyone has any ideas about what might be happening.

While sitting idle in the yard it has on several occasions initiated a long sound recording, which does not match any of the loco sounds that I can access through functions. It is basically a man speaking - German I assume although I unfortunately am not good with languages. It is quite long - at least one minute, maybe up to two minutes and it is a monologue sounding pretty much like a man giving a lecture. It starts when I turn off layout power and then turn it back on again, even though I am not addressing the 39520 in any way. I can only stop it by turning power back off or waiting until the lecture finally ends. I can not easily replicate this, as it seems to happen at random, but if I find a way to do that I will record it. Maybe it is telling me that I need to replace the Märklin decoder with a new ESU one. Confused

Now it is back on a mainline and I will see if it happens where the power supply is strong and clean. If it continues I guess it might be time for a new decoder, although I have not yet done a reset on the current decoder to see if that helps. I am surprised that there is enough memory to hold such a long sound file, which probably totals the time of all of the normal sounds combined.

Is it some kind of strange easter egg or is it just broken? I probably start a thread in the digital section to reach a wider audience, but any insights would be appreciated.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline TEEWolf  
#190 Posted : 15 February 2020 16:25:46(UTC)
TEEWolf

This raises two questions. Firstly do I need to reload the mfx details?

No

Or do I need to upload the latest CS2 upgrade?

Regards

John

You always should upload any upgrade. As far as I see it from Maerklin's website (English version) the latest software version for a CS 2 is 4.2.9 (0).

https://www.maerklin.de/...ate_4-2-9_info-01-en.pdf

http://streaming.maerkli...update_4_2_0_info-en.pdf

On the German Version of Maerklin's website you find more information, especially about the CS 2 update 4.2.8.

http://streaming.maerkli...update_4_2_8_info-02.pdf

Please read this info file about the 4.2.8 update down to the bottom. M depicts as you provide a new icon to your CS 2, if it is not yet in the database listed. Also a link is given to a technical tipp as you upload such an icon to your CS 2. Getting the latest software version already, then you only can achieve a new icon by uploading on your own.
Offline Bart  
#191 Posted : 17 February 2020 15:15:00(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Although I continue to run and enjoy my 39520, I do have a strange new behavior to report. Over the last week or so it has been parked in my yard, which does not have a power bus in all sections. It was in an area where I have seen other locos stop on occasion, maybe due to a dead spot in the track. But it is getting power and what it is doing is totally new to me. I would be interested to see if anyone has any ideas about what might be happening.

While sitting idle in the yard it has on several occasions initiated a long sound recording, which does not match any of the loco sounds that I can access through functions. It is basically a man speaking - German I assume although I unfortunately am not good with languages. It is quite long - at least one minute, maybe up to two minutes and it is a monologue sounding pretty much like a man giving a lecture. It starts when I turn off layout power and then turn it back on again, even though I am not addressing the 39520 in any way. I can only stop it by turning power back off or waiting until the lecture finally ends. I can not easily replicate this, as it seems to happen at random, but if I find a way to do that I will record it. Maybe it is telling me that I need to replace the Märklin decoder with a new ESU one. Confused

Now it is back on a mainline and I will see if it happens where the power supply is strong and clean. If it continues I guess it might be time for a new decoder, although I have not yet done a reset on the current decoder to see if that helps. I am surprised that there is enough memory to hold such a long sound file, which probably totals the time of all of the normal sounds combined.

Is it some kind of strange easter egg or is it just broken? I probably start a thread in the digital section to reach a wider audience, but any insights would be appreciated.

Sounds like function key F23 - a recording of a tour explaining the prototype specs.
Try to replicate it by pressing F23 on a clean track.
*Bart
Offline dickinsonj  
#192 Posted : 17 February 2020 16:07:19(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bart Go to Quoted Post
Sounds like function key F23 - a recording of a tour explaining the prototype specs.
Try to replicate it by pressing F23 on a clean track.

Bart - that is exactly what it is - F23, the prototype specs. I had not activated or noticed that function and I had never heard a loco sound anything like that before.

I think it was being triggered by the poor electrical signal in my yard and now that it is back on the main line it is no longer doing that.

Thanks for the info - I feel pretty slow on this one but at least my pretty new loco is fine!
Regards,
Jim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline klarinettmeister  
#193 Posted : 19 February 2020 09:27:37(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Sorry!

My message came in the wrong topic. Can I delete this?
Offline H0  
#194 Posted : 19 February 2020 10:03:57(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: klarinettmeister Go to Quoted Post
Sorry!

We no longer can delete our own posts, thanks to Aunt Lutzi.
We can flag our own posts for moderator attention to have them deleted (button "Report" with the red flag under each post).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline mbarreto  
#195 Posted : 19 February 2020 10:08:30(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Sorry!

You can also edit the message and delete all its content and write in it that you deleted the content because of the reason you did it.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline klarinettmeister  
#196 Posted : 19 February 2020 11:28:22(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post
Sorry!

You can also edit the message and delete all its content and write in it that you deleted the content because of the reason you did it.

Oh! Thanks for the tip!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by klarinettmeister
Offline eduard71  
#197 Posted : 05 March 2020 23:19:09(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   

Hi,
My 39520 just arrived, and it works as expected but testing the world of operations in my CS2 only shows a modern cab and not the one in the instruction.
Have any of you tested the world of operations for this locomotive?

Regards,

Eduardo
Offline dickinsonj  
#198 Posted : 06 March 2020 16:58:45(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: eduard71 Go to Quoted Post
Have any of you tested the world of operations for this locomotive?

Hi Eduardo,

I just checked my 39520 and it is the same as yours. It shows a period electric loco cab in the booklet that came with it, but the loco itself just displays a generic and modern electric loco cab.

I assume that means the wrong software was loaded onto the decoder at the factory and I doubt that they will go to the effort to correct that, even on an expensive loco like that.

Maybe they will surprise me. BigGrin

Im my opinion it is just another example that overall Märklin quality has declined in some areas, especially in operational areas which seem to matter less to them these days. I think that their models are increasingly for display and not for actual use, which is not what I signed up for when I started buying their trains. ThumbDown
Regards,
Jim

Offline dickinsonj  
#199 Posted : 06 March 2020 18:17:21(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
So I now have a little more information on the stray sound function coming from my 39250, although I still do not know the cause. It is probably a generic digital issue and not something specific to this loco,so I should start a digital forum thread on that one of these days.

This morning I had just turned on CS2 when I read the post from Eduardo about the cab control screen. After I checked that, I selected two locos to run from my CS2 and ran them both for a few minutes. Then something came up that I needed to deal with right now - ie wife issue. BigGrin

I stopped both trains and turned off the track current and returned about 15 minutes later. As soon as I restored power to my track the Fc 2x3/4 started to play the prototype info soundtrack, which is a bad one to auto start because it goes on and on and on. Once it finally ended it was fine again but I definitely did not trigger that function from my CS2 and I hardly ever even use the functions on that second pane. Luckily it does not happen every time that I apply track power or I would have to send it back to my dealer.

Talking to the US Digital Club "Marklin Dudes" about another problem I am currently having, Curtis mentioned something that he has seen before. He sees mismatches between the active functions on the CS2 display and the decoder behavior. He does not think that it is the loco decoder but rather the limited amount of RAM in the CS2 causing it to lose track of the state of some functions on some locos. He suggested that I try deleting my VT 11.5 and letting it register again in the hope that it would fix its current problem. It did not help that train but it might be a factor in this, although it is odd that it only happens on this one loco and not very often.

Otherwise it is perfect and I am very happy with it but it does make you wonder what might develop down the road.
Regards,
Jim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline eduard71  
#200 Posted : 07 March 2020 02:18:31(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Ok I wrote to Marklin and they answered me. The problem will be fixed in a future update.
Now yesterday night I was looking into the problem of the cab and I started to review the options after you map the decoder with the CS2 or CS3( I have both).
After mapping the decoder I found a menu that says SUPPLY. This menu controls values like sand, gas, coal. At the end of the menu there is one option that says Cab type. The number in the locomotive was 69. I started to play changing this number and after a few try’s I found different cabs available but not the one of the Kofferli. Using number 49, 30, 29, 9, 7 and 6 you can get different cabs. So I left number 49 which is the cab of a Ae 8/14 it is not the one but it is Swiss and old type.
I think Marklin will make an update of the firmware for the decoder and this will come with the cab they show in the instructions.

Regards

Eduardo
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by eduard71