Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline michelvr  
#1 Posted : 22 February 2020 17:46:49(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
When I read the post with the heading of “Insiders for Outsiders.” I thought there is definitely something to write about this, so here's my post!

So to alleviate any animosity to whoever is sensitive may I state a fact! No mater your orientation be it a paid Insider or an Outsider trying to look in, nobody does it any better than Märklin! And I mean NOBODY! We have to give Märklin credit where credit is due! Because without Märklin's marketing strategy we would not have the Outsiders wanting to purchase the Insiders special locomotives. To put it in an easier explanation, Märklin’s out fishing and you (Outsiders) took the bait, hook line and sinker! It's a win win for Märklin!!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 22 February 2020 18:16:58(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
When I read the post with the heading of “Insiders for Outsiders.” I thought there is definitely something to write about this, so here's my post!

So to alleviate any animosity to whoever is sensitive may I state a fact! No mater your orientation be it a paid Insider or an Outsider trying to look in, nobody does it any better than Märklin! And I mean NOBODY! We have to give Märklin credit where credit is due! Because without Märklin's marketing strategy we would not have the Outsiders wanting to purchase the Insiders special locomotives. To put it in an easier explanation, Märklin’s out fishing and you (Outsiders) took the bait, hook line and sinker! It's a win win for Märklin!!

Agree totally!
Excellent in two ways
content and language
Love Love Love
Thank you.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline mrmarklin  
#3 Posted : 22 February 2020 18:49:40(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   

It's the same on the Harley-Davidson Motorcycle forums. There are those of us who belong to HOG (Harley Owner's Group) and receive the magazine, benefits etc. and others that refuse for whatever reason to join. Many of the benefits of HOG membership are intangible and depend on what one puts into the club.

Either way it's a win for Harley as their motorcycles get ridden!

Good to be a Marklin Insider this year as if one buys a Big Boy there is a EUR70 coupon available to ease the pain of the price! That plus a free piece of rolling stock pays for the membership in 2020.BigGrin

Marklin Magazin on the house!
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 23 February 2020 08:27:11(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Having mucked around with model trains for 60 years, I can concur with the sentiment of Nobody Does It Any Better Than Märklin!.

Illustration:
I have Märklin train set with the first iteration of the Mobile Station (MS1) 60652 since 2005.
Around 2008, I purchased a mega-set with Central Station 1 (CS1) 60612.
That allowed me to connect the MS1 via a cable as a slave, some distance apart on the layout for convenience of operation.
These served me so faithfully, that I resisted all efforts from both Märklin AND my local dealer, to upgrade to new Central Station with colour screen.

Last week, the CS1 touch-screen died, with no graphics - result unable to use CS1, Kaputt, RIP.
However the MS1 continued to function normally as the slave, so there was nothing wrong with the CS1 electronics and circuitry.
The MS1 is now limited to the 10 locomotives as directed by the "master" CS1, and I am unable to add new locomotives.

Suffice to say that in 10 minutes I had done the following:
1. - removed the CS1 with O and B wires, and installed the C track 24088 connector box in one of my sidings.
2. - connected MS1 and power to the 24088.
Now I have the MS1 working independently, and cleared of the slave limits. Two MFX locos on the track registered instantaneously in contrast to my first experiences which always took ages.

So here I am with an old non-working CS1 that does not owe me a brass razoo, and an old MS1 that will do me nicely for the limited running I do these days.

The whole experience was uplifting, knowing that the Märklin culture of pre-thinking most if not all the permuatations and possibilities is still with us, and unusual in the business world today.
There is no doubt that the Märklin slogan "Technical Experience" is quite true.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 23 February 2020 10:41:35(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If you collect Maerklin and love the idea of getting a blue painted car each year with the Maerklin logo on it, you might have a reason to become an Insider.
For those of us who have other motivations, as is my case, where we model a certain country or such, we might be interested in a particular "insider" model, but have no interest in joining a club.
Would I have bought the shunting crocodile if it would have been available to me? Maybe. I ended up buying a Roco Re 4/4II and a Roco BR 186 (BLS) instead.
This year, they offer the RAm Edelweiss and once again, I have to consider whether I want such a model or whether I will spend my money elsewhere...

Maybe I'll go for a HUI Voralpen Express or something else instead.

The way I look at it. Maerklin already lost a 500 EUR sale and now they could lose another 800. How is that smart business?

Just my two cents worth...

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 23 February 2020 10:42:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

Although I admire your devotion to the brand, your comments are slightly derogatory to those of us who love their Marklin trains but have decided to not join the "Insider" club.

I buy what I like and I like what I buy. If Marklin makes a nice loco or wagon and I want to buy it I will, but I will not buy something just because the marketing department have decided to take advantage of their customer's loyalty by making an item an "Insider Special".

I have a different view of who are the "easy fish"....
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline thing fish  
#7 Posted : 23 February 2020 10:53:09(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
... I will not buy something just because the marketing department have decided to take advantage of their customer's loyalty by making an item an "Insider Special".

I second that.

After all we are not "human automata", not everyone does what some "decision makers" want them to do. But I guess in the age of "post truth" some suffice with what they're told and not the facts: i.e. an insider loco may have flaws and why should we feel obliged to buy it, just the privilege of paying for it before everyone else?

C.

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 23 February 2020 11:21:24(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I don't have any issues with Outsiders buying Insider items. I bought a few myself as an Outsider, now I'm an Insider I've bought (or ordered) a few others but not all.

I guess that makes me Inside Out or Outside In (take your pick!).

I know some dealers order Insider items under their custmer's Insider membership numbers regardless of whether their Insider customers order them or not. Whatever is left over can be sold to Outsiders.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kimballthurlow  
#9 Posted : 23 February 2020 11:28:44(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I don't have any issues with Outsiders buying Insider items. I bought a few myself as an Outsider, now I'm an Insider I've bought (or ordered) a few others but not all.

I know some dealers order Insider items under their custmer's Insider membership numbers regardless of whether their Insider customers order them or not. Whatever is left over can be sold to Outsiders.

You mean Outside In Down Under. BigGrin

On the note "....regardless of whether their Insider customers order them or not. Whatever is left over can be sold....." - I think this might be why the Insider Club send the Certificate by mail to the member independently of the model.
I would imagine that might discourage the dealer from over-ordering (perhaps).

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline mrmarklin  
#10 Posted : 23 February 2020 11:56:24(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   

I believe all dealers are allowed to order one Insider Lok outside of the members orders. Some dealers are also active in gleaning their customers certificates if a customer is not interested in the current model. This is why it’s common to see Insider models on eBay, etc.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline Rwill  
#11 Posted : 23 February 2020 19:58:23(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I wish I'd never raised the subject, But since nobody but NOBODY does it better than Marklin I suppose I'll bore you with the story. A couple of years ago I fell in love with the insider crocodile but did nothing. It was late and when it came out the stummi rivet counters found the engine covers were wrong and the railings out of scale and no one would say whether the all new telex was better, the same or worse than its predecessor. When all that went quiet and M seem to fix most of the problems I sort of decided that I still fancied it and made tentative enquiries only to discover that you couldn't join and retrospectively order insider models and I also concluded (maybe wrongly) that to get all the goodies in English you had to have an English Speaking dealer - our nearest is in Toronto! So I clumsily blew up my 6040 controller spent my money on an LGB start set which included a CS2. Then just recently I found my croc at Joes and on Ebay with the Belgium reseller I have used before. So I raised my query about Insider warranty in case I got one that hadn't been fixed and etc and seem to have started all these emotional responses.
Offline PJMärklin  
#12 Posted : 24 February 2020 04:13:51(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

Kimball

or is it a downundersided outside inner ?BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 24 February 2020 05:33:46(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post

I believe all dealers are allowed to order one Insider Lok outside of the members orders. Some dealers are also active in gleaning their customers certificates if a customer is not interested in the current model. This is why it’s common to see Insider models on eBay, etc.

I know my dealer has ordered Z gauge locos on my Insider offerings even though i don't buy the Z gauge items ... I occasionally end up with the certificate because it comes so much later than the model ...

I suspect that my other unordered HO items may also get used, and I'm sure other dealers do the same.
Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 24 February 2020 06:40:41(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post

Kimball

or is it a downundersided outside inner ?BigGrin

I'm sure I've read somewhere its an inner outsider from down under, somewhere it is explained when you join the insider club as an outsider you automatically become an insider regardless whether you have been an outsider buying insider items, the down under term is merely a red herring and is not associated in any way: to be an outsider, so long you sign under the dotted line you become a down under insider member.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Goofy  
#15 Posted : 24 February 2020 08:02:39(UTC)
Goofy

I don´t agree.
There is pro and cons about Märklin products too.
In fact does same about competitors.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline river6109  
#16 Posted : 24 February 2020 08:20:09(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

I don´t agree.

Please show your interest: insider or outsider ?

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Goofy  
#17 Posted : 24 February 2020 08:22:11(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

Does it matter?

H0
Offline river6109  
#18 Posted : 24 February 2020 08:29:19(UTC)
river6109

Australia   

Does it matter?

You may have noticed, this is what the topic is all about it, are you in or out ? BigGrin

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline kiwiAlan  
#19 Posted : 24 February 2020 09:37:19(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Does it matter?

You may have noticed, this is what the topic is all about it, are you in or out ? BigGrin

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Offline Goofy  
#20 Posted : 24 February 2020 12:20:14(UTC)
Goofy

Does it matter when there is both insider and outsider?
H0
Offline thing fish  
#21 Posted : 24 February 2020 13:09:48(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   

He he ... he's standing on the border, just consider him "nosider" LOL

C.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by thing fish
Offline river6109  
#22 Posted : 24 February 2020 13:52:52(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Does it matter when there is both insider and outsider?

can you make sense with this quote:

I don´t agree.

if you don't agree about insiders or outsiders and if you agree there are pro and cons, there is only one company left: Märklin; as the topic suggests nobody does it better than Märklin., so we all agree ?, competitors don't have insiders and outsiders

John

Offline michelvr  
#23 Posted : 24 February 2020 14:42:58(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   

Does it matter?

PLEASE! One thing is for sure, this is not what my topic is about!

I never asked or even suggested for anyone ”Please show Your interest: Insider or outsider

My post and topic is how Märklin has capitalized on their marketing to create a “WANT” for their products.

Now that I have corrected someone’s unintentional hijacking of my post can we just absorb what I was trying to say!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline carlos.rivas.16752  
#24 Posted : 24 February 2020 15:26:22(UTC)
carlos.rivas.16752

Spain   

Does it matter?

I never asked or even suggested for anyone ”Please show Your interest: Insider or outsider

My post and topic is how Märklin has capitalized on their marketing to create a “WANT” for their products.

Now that I have corrected someone’s unintentional hijacking of my post can we just absorb what I was trying to say!

That´s what you want to do when you own a company and want to sell lots of your stuff. Isn´t it?

I can see your point: I´m not an insider member but I own three insider locos (new, unused) that came form Ebay. Yes, a win win for M.

My blog both in Spanish and English: https://grunewiesen1965.wordpress.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by carlos.rivas.16752
Offline David Dewar  
#25 Posted : 24 February 2020 17:01:03(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
When Goofy is only half way in he is neither in nor out.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Goofy  
#26 Posted : 24 February 2020 19:10:01(UTC)
Goofy

Right we can discuss whatever if Märklin want or not.
Why do you think even there are customer who also buy competitors ac models too?
Who are insider or and outsider here in the forum, when we members know that somebody use other products too and not only MÄRKLIN?
Why even write "nobody does it any better than Märklin" is not truth.
I have seen ESU, Brawa, Roco and Fleischmann do even work better.
We can discuss too about digital sound decoder in quality...who make it best?

H0
Offline michelvr  
#27 Posted : 24 February 2020 19:40:09(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Goofy, Märklins marknadsföringsstrategi för insider eller utomstående vinner stort för Märklins försäljning, det är allt jag försöker säga!

(Märklin’s marketing strategy to the insider or outsider wins big for Märklin's sales, that's all I'm trying to say!)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline Webmaster  
#28 Posted : 24 February 2020 19:45:55(UTC)
Webmaster

I have seen ESU, Brawa, Roco and Fleischmann do even work better.

Indeed they can do, but it's not their main focus to maintain a whole ecosystem - just some great models sometimes for it (and maybe also some not so great...).
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline TEEWolf  
#29 Posted : 24 February 2020 19:50:33(UTC)
TEEWolf

When the Insider Croc (39567) was announed, I saw a dealers special offer with his special dealer price for everybody. The dealer was quite smart making a bundle of the Croc together with an 1-year membership for the Insider Club. The price for both was even under Maerklin's official price recommendation for this Crocodile. At that time I thought not a bad offer and fullfilling the Insider requirements too.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Goofy  
#30 Posted : 24 February 2020 22:54:56(UTC)
Goofy

Goofy, Märklins marknadsföringsstrategi för insider eller utomstående vinner stort för Märklins försäljning, det är allt jag försöker säga!

(Märklin’s marketing strategy to the insider or outsider wins big for Märklin's sales, that's all I'm trying to say!)

Märklin are not alone to use this idea like marketing strategy.
To focus just only Märklin product does not help.
I am both insider and outsider.

H0