Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#1 Posted : 03 February 2020 19:13:45(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

I have bought an old 3072 BR212 from a friend on this forum. He also supplied me with a new box of 60944 to remoter it prior to putting a decoder in.

I have had some problems - mostly down to my own stupidity by working on when I am too tired!

I bought a LokPilot decoder to fit into it. This would work fine with my ECoS. It went together and was running fine until suddenly it started making a noise which got steadily louder until the lok stopped. On testing the decoder, it had burnt out! I decided to get a Marklin decoder instead and waited about 10 days for MSL (well actually DHL) to deliver it. This was a 60983 mLD3 decoder. This where the tiredness came in. Working on too late in the evening I stupidly wired the yellow and white (front and real light feeds) to the motor! Instant short - unsurprisingly).

I am lucky in having a DCC supplier just down the road from me so I picked up another LokPilot. I fitted this this afternoon when I was alert and awake (grin). The decoder works fine and the lok runs but it is very jerky and has no low speed control.

I have no idea which armature I should have fitted as there is no means of knowing which. I have fitted both and found little difference between them so I don't know how to discern which one is correct. Hence, I don;t think that it is the armature causing the problem.

Is there some setting on the LokPilot that I should adjust? Any help here would be much appreciated.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 03 February 2020 19:26:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: LongHairedDavid Go to Quoted Post

Is there some setting on the LokPilot that I should adjust? Any help here would be much appreciated.

Check the Lokpilot documentation for "autotune". It involves setting one of the CVs to zero, then setting a function on and allowing the loco to run. It takes off at top speed and comes to a stop over a couple of meters, so make sure you have enough track available.

Offline cintrans  
#3 Posted : 04 February 2020 00:19:28(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Originally Posted by: LongHairedDavid Go to Quoted Post
I have bought an old 3072 BR212 from a friend on this forum. He also supplied me with a new box of 60944 to remoter it prior to putting a decoder in.

I have had some problems - mostly down to my own stupidity by working on when I am too tired!

I bought a LokPilot decoder to fit into it. This would work fine with my ECoS. It went together and was running fine until suddenly it started making a noise which got steadily louder until the lok stopped. On testing the decoder, it had burnt out! I decided to get a Marklin decoder instead and waited about 10 days for MSL (well actually DHL) to deliver it. This was a 60983 mLD3 decoder. This where the tiredness came in. Working on too late in the evening I stupidly wired the yellow and white (front and real light feeds) to the motor! Instant short - unsurprisingly).

I am lucky in having a DCC supplier just down the road from me so I picked up another LokPilot. I fitted this this afternoon when I was alert and awake (grin). The decoder works fine and the lok runs but it is very jerky and has no low speed control.

I have no idea which armature I should have fitted as there is no means of knowing which. I have fitted both and found little difference between them so I don't know how to discern which one is correct. Hence, I don;t think that it is the armature causing the problem.

David

I thought the amount of teeth are different on the supplied armatures? You should use the same amount of teeth as the original 3 star armature.
Dont think the lokpilot was causing the noise, probably burned because the motor was running not smooth?

Jean-Pierre
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 04 February 2020 04:29:20(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I'm surprised you were able to fit a conversion set 60944 into this loco, as the earlier locos (30720 haven't been listed as a conversion possibility, the reason for it was: 2 thicker magnet doesn't fit into the slot where the old one was sitting., although the magnet fits you can't tighten the magnet & brush plate with a screw, the only way you were able to fit it properly was to shave enough off the frame to be able to fit the the hole motor into it., I think it may has more to do with the motor itself not sitting correctly and therefore your smooth running characteristics are hampered by., to follow up on my theory you should be able to turn the cogwheels freely, and I say cogwheels as you will find the wheels will not be able to move as it could happen with the other side of the axle.

Programming the motor for a smooth running is sometimes necessary but most the time if the motor is in its proper place the programming is not essential., as you are using an ECoS.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode