Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hics  
#1 Posted : 27 January 2020 14:25:31(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
Hello.
I have connected 2xMS2 to a track box and have an issue with master/slave. Both have the newest software. One is grey (Master) and second is black (slave). I cannot change master to slave and etc. One of them is always a master and another is a slave. Reconnecting them doesn't help either. Can I change it?
Hmmm, having writing this sound a little racist Bored Sorry
Offline TrainIride  
#2 Posted : 27 January 2020 14:34:56(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
Originally Posted by: Hics Go to Quoted Post
Hello.
I have connected 2xMS2 to a track box and have an issue with master/slave. Both have the newest software. One is grey (Master) and second is black (slave). I cannot change master to slave and etc. One of them is always a master and another is a slave. Reconnecting them doesn't help either. Can I change it?
Hmmm, having writing this sound a little racist Bored Sorry

Hi,

I think this is not an issue.
The master or slave configuration is internally chosen by the MS2 Software,
maybe depending on the serial numbers of the MS2's or these kind of things...

Best Regards
Joël
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TrainIride
Offline Hics  
#3 Posted : 27 January 2020 14:44:32(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: TrainIride Go to Quoted Post
...The master or slave configuration is internally chosen by the MS2 Software,

Uhmm, so looks like I cant choose it at all? Am I right?

Offline TrainIride  
#4 Posted : 27 January 2020 14:51:06(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
Originally Posted by: Hics Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: TrainIride Go to Quoted Post
...The master or slave configuration is internally chosen by the MS2 Software,

Uhmm, so looks like I cant choose it at all? Am I right?

From the 60657 book:

"A maximum of 2 Mobile Stations can be connected to the track box. The “Master” Mobile
Station is recognized automatically. The other Mobile Station is then set as the “Slave”.
Entering, recognizing, and programming a locomotive are only done with the “Master”
Mobile Station. You determine which locomotives are taken over into the “Slave”
Mobile Station"

So you cannot chose ..

best Regards
Joël
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TrainIride
Offline Hics  
#5 Posted : 27 January 2020 15:22:32(UTC)
Hics

United Kingdom   
Problem solved BigGrin

Thanks TrainIride
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Hics
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 27 January 2020 16:30:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The MS2 with the oldest serial number is always the Master. There's no way to change it unfortunately. I wish I could as then I could have my newest one as the Master, which to me makes more sense!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline dominator  
#7 Posted : 28 January 2020 01:59:50(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Yes the oldest MS2 will always be the master. A suggestion though. Make sure all you loco's are registered in your newest MS2. [ can do this only when the master MS2 is not in the circuit] . Then load all you locos on the master. The slave will always take it orders from the master, but if the master dies, then you still have all locos registered.[ hopefully ] . Probably isn't necessary though'. I run this system and find it really good, especially with the option of 40 locos immediately on call..
All the best

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 28 January 2020 03:18:57(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
Yes the oldest MS2 will always be the master. A suggestion though. Make sure all you loco's are registered in your newest MS2. [ can do this only when the master MS2 is not in the circuit] . Then load all you locos on the master. The slave will always take it orders from the master, but if the master dies, then you still have all locos registered.[ hopefully ] . Probably isn't necessary though'. I run this system and find it really good, especially with the option of 40 locos immediately on call..
All the best

Dereck

Let me complete this MS 2 master/slave topic. Oldest is not false but also not fortunate. The master is always the MS 2 with the lowest serial number. This mostly matches with the age of a MS 2, but do not forget at each jack of a trackbox you can connect a MS II hub (60122). So it is possible to get up to 10 MS 2 connected with one trackbox. Even then the MS 2 with the lowest serial number will always be the master with the database. This is the only database where the other 9 MS 2 get their information from and a new loco will be registered.

BTW this MS 2 hub 60122 is only usable in connection with a trackbox and never with a CS. Connecting more than 2 MS 2 to a CS (every CS has 2 sockets only for a MS 2) is done with the terminal 60145.
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 28 January 2020 08:29:32(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
BTW this MS 2 hub 60122 is only usable in connection with a trackbox and never with a CS. Connecting more than 2 MS 2 to a CS (every CS has 2 sockets only for a MS 2) is done with the terminal 60145.
Thanks for derailing another thread with incorrect unrelated information.
Every CS2 has three connectors where you can connect MS2s without a terminal. AFAIK the same applies to the CS3.
The CS1 also has three connectors where you can connect MS2s without a terminal - but it should be noted that they will not work.

The master is always the MS 2 with the lowest serial number. This mostly matches with the age of a MS 2 [...]
MS2s with a green speed knob (Trix) can be newer, but still have a lower serial number.
I often mix one with a green knob and one with a red knob and then I can easily identify the master by the green knob (in extremely rare cases the MS2 with the red knob might be the master if it is much older than the one with the green knob).

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 29 January 2020 17:18:34(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for derailing another thread with incorrect unrelated information.
Every CS2 has three connectors where you can connect MS2s without a terminal. AFAIK the same applies to the CS3.
The CS1 also has three connectors where you can connect MS2s without a terminal - but it should be noted that they will not work.

The master is always the MS 2 with the lowest serial number. This mostly matches with the age of a MS 2 [...]
MS2s with a green speed knob (Trix) can be newer, but still have a lower serial number.
I often mix one with a green knob and one with a red knob and then I can easily identify the master by the green knob (in extremely rare cases the MS2 with the red knob might be the master if it is much older than the one with the green knob).

It would be much more helpful for the people, if you are writing your opinions before I have given them an answer already. Everybody is doing errors (me too), which has to be discussed and justified. But you give more and more the impression only be able to correct others, but not to help members. This is only confusing people. Also you are writing half of the truth. A short view into the CS 3 manual could have cleared it. Even a look into the overview of Maerklin digital system architecture clears it up.

https://www.maerklin.de/...Gesamt%C3%BCbersicht.pdf

A CS 3 (CS 1 and CS 2 are no longer available) has for a direct connection of a MS 2 only 2 10-pin jacks at its front. Of course does a CS 3 has more jacks, but only 2 and not 3 10-pin jacks for a direct MS 2 connection.

At the rear of a CS 3+ are one 6-pin jack for the CAN bus input and a 9-pin jack for the CAN bus output. Additionally a 7-pin Maerklin device jack is also available. (CS 3 is slightly different, the CAN bus input jack is missing, therefore a second Maerklin device jack is available). The rest connection possibilities (power supply, internet, cards, etc.) are too different using them for a MS 2 connection. If somebody wants to attach more than 2 MS 2 to his CS 3, he can do it as I have mentioned in my prior post already. Always he needs more equipment thereto, e.g. an adapter cable (60124 - from 10 to 7 pin) and/or terminal (60125 or 60145) for doing this. Then even more than 3 MS 2 can be connected to a CS 3.
Offline hxmiesa  
#11 Posted : 29 January 2020 17:52:01(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
It would be much more helpful for the people, if you are writing your opinions before I have given them an answer already. Everybody is doing errors (me too), which has to be discussed and justified. But you give more and more the impression only be able to correct others, but not to help members. This is only confusing people. Also you are writing half of the truth. A short view into the CS 3 manual could have cleared it. Even a look into the overview of Maerklin digital system architecture clears it up.

The OP just wanted to connect 2 MS in master/slave position. Probably the simplest configuration after the stand-alone MS.
YOU are the one who brings in CS and adapter boxes, where things get more complicated, thereby confusing people... You, yourself! ;-)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Purellum  
#12 Posted : 29 January 2020 20:31:38(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

It would be much more helpful for the people, if you are writing your opinions before I have given them an answer already.

The correct answer was given 3 times before you decided to derail the topic; why is a fourth correct answer from H0 needed?

Would it have stopped you from derailing the topic?

But you give more and more the impression only be able to correct others, but not to help members.

The correct answer was given 3 times before you decided to derail the topic; why is a fourth correct answer from H0 needed?

Would it have stopped you from derailing the topic?

( Deliberately repeated the two questions )

Everybody is doing errors (me too), which has to be discussed and justified.

YES; but you don't want your errors discussed, and therefore you either continues to derail the topics
where you've made errors or, in most cases, never answer questions related to your errors - you just disappear from the topics.

How can we discuss the your hundreds of errors if you don't answer?

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum