Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline thanos339  
#1 Posted : 05 January 2020 12:49:58(UTC)
thanos339

Greece   
Hello everyone,
I have a class 212 locomotive from the "Feuerwehr starter kit" and when I placed it to my layout today, I saw that the locomotive doesn't running forward. When I change the direction to backwards, runs fine without any problem and on any speed. I have to say that the locomotive won't start unless I give it a small push with the hand but all these years never had a problem.
Any ideas how can I fix it? Unsure
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 05 January 2020 14:32:32(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: thanos339 Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone,
I have a class 212 locomotive from the "Feuerwehr starter kit" and when I placed it to my layout today, I saw that the locomotive doesn't running forward. When I change the direction to backwards, runs fine without any problem and on any speed. I have to say that the locomotive won't start unless I give it a small push with the hand but all these years never had a problem.
Any ideas how can I fix it? Unsure

Have you tried changing the motor brushes? These symptoms often indicate that the brushes are worn.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline thanos339  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2020 14:41:35(UTC)
thanos339

Greece   
Thanks for replying,
I haven't change the brushes since I got it. Are there any specific brushes kits for each locomotive or I can buy generally for marklin locomotives? Sorry I'm diving right now to the train hobby and my knowledge is limited.

Offline TEEWolf  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2020 15:27:13(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thanks for replying,
I haven't change the brushes since I got it. Are there any specific brushes kits for each locomotive or I can buy generally for marklin locomotives? Sorry I'm diving right now to the train hobby and my knowledge is limited.

Well it is ok. Once everybody was a beginner. Started his hobby with learning by doing. But please, first of all tell us the article number of your start-up set. Only with this number it is possible to identify your loco and find it in Maerklin's databse. For these sets it is so far not so easy, because the locos do not have an own single article number. They are combined with the complete set. But you can find this loco under another number as another model at the database. So please tell us the set number.

Also normally (exceptions possible!) in the attached manual is at the end an explosion drawing of the loco plus a list with all spare parts and their numbers. So you can identify the spare parts number for the postion you need to change.

BTW
Happy new year - happy new hobby - happy welcome at MUNSmile
Offline thanos339  
#5 Posted : 05 January 2020 16:12:59(UTC)
thanos339

Greece   
Thanks for replying and happy new year too!!

The title of my starter set as it's on marklin's site is : BR 212 | Gauge H0 - Article No. 29750
Also there is a code sticker on the loco with green letters : "H7301422" but i think that's the loco's year production but it may help anyway.
Unfortunately there isn't any manual for the loco but only for the digital controller that it came with.
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 05 January 2020 17:25:45(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
As Ray says new brushes might help but also make sure the loco is clean by cleaning wheels and pickup. Also clean off any old oil and use new oil sparingly.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline thanos339  
#7 Posted : 05 January 2020 17:37:50(UTC)
thanos339

Greece   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
As Ray says new brushes might help but also make sure the loco is clean by cleaning wheels and pickup. Also clean off any old oil and use new oil sparingly.

Hey David and thanks for replying!
I will try that but do you recommend any specific loco oil I can buy?
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 05 January 2020 21:22:20(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   

Marklin have oil for their locos. However it seems odd that the loco goes fine in reverse so cleaning is only a first step as other treatment may be required. Your dealer should help with what you need or you can look at the Marklin website for parts etc.
Do you have another loco that runs OK.
Members on here are great with advice but it can be difficult without actually seeing the loco to ascertain what is wrong.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline thanos339  
#9 Posted : 05 January 2020 22:17:42(UTC)
thanos339

Greece   

Marklin have oil for their locos. However it seems odd that the loco goes fine in reverse so cleaning is only a first step as other treatment may be required. Your dealer should help with what you need or you can look at the Marklin website for parts etc.
Do you have another loco that runs OK.
Members on here are great with advice but it can be difficult without actually seeing the loco to ascertain what is wrong.

I cleaned the loco underneath with some isopropyl alcohol and an earbud but the issue is still there. The thing I realised is that after couple of minutes it will run forward hardly enough to stop after some meters so I believe that the brushes or motor have the issue. I will look deeper to it .
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 06 January 2020 20:18:02(UTC)
TEEWolf

I cleaned the loco underneath with some isopropyl alcohol and an earbud but the issue is still there. The thing I realised is that after couple of minutes it will run forward hardly enough to stop after some meters so I believe that the brushes or motor have the issue. I will look deeper to it .

I tried to find a spare parts list for your loco, but I was not yet successfull. Maerklin has and does offer plenty of these V 100 ( 212, etc.), but you need inforamtion about the built in motor for the brushes. Your set is from the year 2004/2005, but should have already a HLA engine inside. Perhaps you open the loco and get a look inside to evaluate by yourself, which motor is inside or set up a picture of the engine here at marklin-users.net.

Probably you do not understand the German language, nevertheless I set up here a few links from a Swiss guy's excellent homepage. But only the section about motors giving you as a newbie an idea what we talking about

https://www.stayathome.ch/motoren.htm

motor conversions (because of the detailed pictures and the picture of the cole brushes at the end of the spare parts listing for Maerklin)

https://www.stayathome.ch/motorumbau.htm

and motor service.

https://stayathome.ch/Wartung.htm

Hope it helps you changing your cole brushes.

Finally a very old service manual from the analogue era of Maerklin, but it is in English and many description are still valid and helpful today.

E.g. inside the brochure you see an explosion drawing and a spare parts list. So you get informed finding the correct article number for needed spare parts.

... and a translating software

https://www.deepl.com/translator
Offline thanos339  
#11 Posted : 06 January 2020 20:31:19(UTC)
thanos339

Greece   
Wow TEEWolf thanks for all the info and the time you spent to send it to me. I saw some nice tutorials in english about servive on loco's and one of the them was like my loco so I will open it and find out. The thing that I'm afraid is that I might not find the correct brushes but I will look deeper.

Offline Purellum  
#12 Posted : 06 January 2020 20:45:28(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

The spare parts should be the same as for set no. 29755

The spare parts number for the brushes is 601 460

https://www.maerklin.de/...e/details/article/29755/

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum