Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sharples  
#1 Posted : 01 January 2020 09:51:55(UTC)
sharples

New Zealand   
My 3050 locomotive refuses to run!

The lights light up and the engine emits a buzzing sound, but the wheels won't turn!

Any suggestions on what may be causing the problem, or what I can do to get the locomotive running again?
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 01 January 2020 10:54:02(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: sharples Go to Quoted Post

The lights light up and the engine emits a buzzing sound, but the wheels won't turn!

Any suggestions on what may be causing the problem, or what I can do to get the locomotive running again?

First question, when did it last run? - a few days ago, weeks, months, or have you never run it (recent purchase?)

If it has been some time (usually more than a couple of years) you most likely have a problem with hardened-oil.

The older organic oil used by Marklin tends to dry out and can set like glue. When a Loco is used regularly it usually gets a drop of oil now and then which refreshes it and keeps everything fluid.

The fact the lights are coming on but that it's buzzing makes me suspect this first. But if it was working until recently and suddenly stopped, then I'd suspect either a jammed motor-brush (may be too far worn down) or a problem with the reverse unit. Or it may just need new brushes. Add some photos and we can soon advise.

You are going to need to remove the top housing which on those is easy, a single larger screw underneath near the center.

With the housing off, examine the motor assy and you should see a large gear between the motor armature and the wheels. Try turning this gear with your fingers. If it turns freely a few revolutions then it's not a hardened oil issue, more likely either the brushes, or reverse unit. If the buzzing is coming from the reverse unit itself it will be obvious, you will hear and see it. Check to make sure the small spring is not missing.

However, if you find you can't turn the gear (there can be a bit of resistance), then you may be faced with having to strip the motor to clean and re-lubricate it. However it can also help to relieve the brush spring pressure by simply taking both brushes out, now there should be no resistance at all. Try to avoid the temptation to try to turn the wheels themselves - on a Diesel or Electric you can usually get away with it but the problem is that you may force the wheel to slip on the axle and this is not good. On a Steam Loco it may also throw out the quartering of the wheels.

Unless it's obviously very dirty, a full strip and clean may not be required. I have personally had success with applying pressure to the gears to overcome the bind, then once it all starts turning more freely usually you can put a fresh small drop of oil in the required places and it will work its way through when you give the Loco a decent run and let it warm up (usually at least 10 minutes). But if you find it seizes again, or just does not seem to run smoothly then a strip down, clean with solvent/degreaser, reassemble and re-lubricate may be overdue. You will know whether you feel confident doing that or would rather send it to someone experienced.

You've got the Palmerston North Marklin group where you are, if you don't know them someone there will definitely be able to assist you. BigGrin

See how you go with these tips and let us know how you go. No point giving deeper troubleshooting tips if you get it sorted out.

Good luck

Steve
Wellington
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline sharples  
#3 Posted : 01 January 2020 14:26:30(UTC)
sharples

New Zealand   
Thanks Steve. Will investigate following your instructions!
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 01 January 2020 14:40:20(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: sharples Go to Quoted Post

Hi and happy new year to you

Your loco is with a large flat collector motor and a mechanical inverter
The noise you hear is the inverter buzz (plus possibly a stalled motor noise).
I suggest you remove the case, remove the brushes and rotate the rotor. If it turns freely clean the brushes and brush-holder; re-install the brushes and try again.

If the motor is stuck then remove the rotor and inductor (fixed coil), remove the motorized bogie and dump it in lighter fluid to clean it
Dry it, lubricate, install new traction tyres, re-assemble the motor and you are in business.
Never let the motor activated if it is not running: you may burn the rotor or melt the brush holder
Another possibility is an inverter relay problem (cut wire to the induction coil) or a bad contact on the inverter relay (but not very frequent)
Cheers

Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#5 Posted : 01 January 2020 15:10:16(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
Excellent advice by Steve and Jean!

I just add that sometimes the little springs that push the brushes against the rotor are twisted a bit out of shape so that they no longer apply sufficient pressure to make a good contact. You can test this by pushing the brushes gently with tweezers or like to see whether the motor comes alive again. The springs should lie cleanly against the brushes without touching the sides of the small slot in the brush holder.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
Offline sharples  
#6 Posted : 02 January 2020 00:48:20(UTC)
sharples

New Zealand   
Thankyou Steve, JohnJean and Martti! The locomotive was given a good clean and lubrication, and is now running perfectly! Very much appreciated all your helpful suggestions.BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sharples