Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline The Crocodile  
#1 Posted : 22 December 2019 13:14:36(UTC)
The Crocodile

Iceland   
Hello, a few years ago I picked up a Märklin mini-club starter set on a yard sale for 15$, the seller said the train didn't work but I bought it anyway. The set looks like it's from the 80s, with the brown controller. I managed to get the train going, and it went on until recently. I highly suspect the previous owner over-oiled the loco. Anyway, the loco has once and for all stopped working.

It sort of vibrates and gets super hot after only about 40 seconds on the rail with power on. I pulled it apart and cleaned everything thoroughly, used lighter fluid on the engine and put everything back together again. Still doesn't work:(

I removed the "Shell" so that I could observe the actual engine (or the 3 poles) while it's on the track. I can see the copper poles vibrating but they're obviously supposed to spin. Using a toothpick it's very easy to gently spin the poles, there doesn't seem to be resistance to that. Any idea what the problem might be?

I've been building in H0 scale for a few years by the way, so I'm not new to Märklin, just relatively new to Z-scale. Any help is highly appreciated, thanks in advance!
C-track, temporary layout. I try to run my locos as much as possible:)
Offline Carim  
#2 Posted : 22 December 2019 15:20:03(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Hi,

It would help if you could tell us which set/loco (the number on the box) you have.

Carim
Offline The Crocodile  
#3 Posted : 22 December 2019 16:58:52(UTC)
The Crocodile

Iceland   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

It would help if you could tell us which set/loco (the number on the box) you have.

Carim

The loco is 8800. The set seems to be 8180S, pictures don't seem to be working, but here's a link to an identical set on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm...5c2ad:g:pUgAAOSwxORd72uj
Offline zscalehobo  
#4 Posted : 22 December 2019 17:37:24(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Do you have some spare brushes handy?
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline Zme  
#5 Posted : 22 December 2019 17:45:35(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello. Congratulations on your venture into the world of “Z” scale.

It sounds like you did some basic troubleshooting steps without success.

Since it is cleaned that is not an issue. Were the internal assemblies disassembled?

I was wondering if the wheel sets were removed, to see if something was not reassembled correctly. If this is not the case, check the brushes to determine if a replacement set is needed. On these locos, I have also had the contacts behind the wheels slip out of position. All of the contacts need to be behind the wheels.

Hope this helps you. Best wishes. BigGrin

Offline The Crocodile  
#6 Posted : 22 December 2019 22:44:15(UTC)
The Crocodile

Iceland   
Originally Posted by: zscalehobo Go to Quoted Post
Do you have some spare brushes handy?

I don't, but I checked the brushes and they seemed to be OK. I guess I could order new ones and test, where would I order such things? I checked the official Märklin site and find none.
Offline Zme  
#7 Posted : 25 December 2019 07:08:14(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

Here is a link which shows the parts in your loco. #5 are the brushes. The part number is on the second page.

https://static.maerklin....0b56b83b091434542632.pdf

Here is a link for Marklin dealers in your location just do a search.

https://www.maerklin.de/...tore-locator/?no_cache=1

Hopefully you can locate someone who can help you. It is possible you will need to order directly from the service center. They would likely help to ensure you get the right part as sometime numbers change etc.

At least they will be able to ship this to Sweden. Brushes are small and hopefully inexpensive to ship.

I have heard of others having success by just bending the brushes slightly to increase their pressure on the armature. Make small adjustments at a time. You could try this, especially if the brushes look like the have some life left in them. Could clean them at the same time.

Best wishes

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Zme
Offline The Crocodile  
#8 Posted : 25 December 2019 11:38:09(UTC)
The Crocodile

Iceland   
Originally Posted by: d_landen@yahoo.com Go to Quoted Post
Hello

Here is a link which shows the parts in your loco. #5 are the brushes. The part number is on the second page.

https://static.maerklin....0b56b83b091434542632.pdf

Here is a link for Marklin dealers in your location just do a search.

https://www.maerklin.de/...tore-locator/?no_cache=1

Hopefully you can locate someone who can help you. It is possible you will need to order directly from the service center. They would likely help to ensure you get the right part as sometime numbers change etc.

At least they will be able to ship this to Sweden. Brushes are small and hopefully inexpensive to ship.

I have heard of others having success by just bending the brushes slightly to increase their pressure on the armature. Make small adjustments at a time. You could try this, especially if the brushes look like the have some life left in them. Could clean them at the same time.

Best wishes

Thank you very much I will try this!
Offline Carim  
#9 Posted : 25 December 2019 13:12:37(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Sometimes the brushes grip the commutator too tightly and this causes heating - if you very gently ease them back and forth a few times to loosen their grip, it may help.

Carim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Carim
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 25 December 2019 13:18:11(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Looking in my newly arrived 2019/20 catalogue there are three lots of Z gauge brushes listed.

89871 (long tails), 89881 (medium tails), and 89891 (short tails).

The 8800 doesn't appear in the lists of items but 8803 is listed for the first one, which I suspect may be the one you need.