Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Markus Schild  
#1 Posted : 21 December 2019 13:02:48(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

Electrocarts from various brands were operated on many stations in Germany until the early ninety's. For baggage and also for the post. When I was a small boy I was very fascinated by these cars and the WIKING- model was one of the first I bought.

still1280-2.jpg

still1280.jpg

002a.1024.jpg

Files: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4059548

The model shown is printed with a 0.25mm nozzle and with 0.08mm layers.

Regards

Markus
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 21 December 2019 15:58:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
It is giving me an error when I try and download the files, something about incorrect keycode. I'm wondering if it is something ot do with the slashes in the filename which are likely to be illegal characters in a filename.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Markus Schild  
#3 Posted : 21 December 2019 16:15:00(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

Thank you. The download of the Zio- file really didn't work. I renamed the model and this works. I will give a notice to the people at thingiverse.

Regards

Markus
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 21 December 2019 17:18:48(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Thank you. The download of the Zio- file really didn't work. I renamed the model and this works. I will give a notice to the people at thingiverse.

Regards

Markus

That works better.

Thanks.

Offline PJMärklin  
#5 Posted : 22 December 2019 05:48:37(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Hi,Electrocarts from various brands were operated on many stations in Germany until the early ninety's. For baggage and also for the post. When I was a small boy I was very fascinated by these cars and the WIKING- model was one of the first I bought.
Regards
Markus

Hello Markus,

The unit looks great ThumpUp

I too like these electric platform vehicles from times past.
There are a number of them on the "service platform" at my station at "Altbach" (HO scale). Due to space constraints (the mantra of the "modelrailroader" ?) I only have one "service" platform on my layout "end station".Blushing
The models of the small electric vehicles are from a Kibri kit that I constructed in the 1980's; they are both yellow and blue.

They are seen on the "service platform" in the following images :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

and here is a prototype similar to that in the above image :

UserPostedImage

they seemed widespread in the period, here is an electric cart on Belgian Railways :

UserPostedImage

Regards,

PJBigGrin
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Markus Schild  
#6 Posted : 22 December 2019 06:50:29(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post

UserPostedImage

PJBigGrin

Hi PJ,

BTW: This one was produced by the MASCHINENFABRIK ESSLIGEN which is better known for its steam-locomotives.

Regards

Markus

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 22 December 2019 20:44:19(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post

UserPostedImage

PJBigGrin

Hi PJ,

BTW: This one was produced by the MASCHINENFABRIK ESSLIGEN which is better known for its steam-locomotives.

Regards

Markus

I'm intrigued with the standing step that is lifted up. I assume this is part of the mechanism for making sure there is a driver standing there before it will move, i.e. someone needs to stand on it so it becomes level to operate the interlock.

Offline mvd71  
#8 Posted : 22 December 2019 20:51:47(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
These electric vehicles are really cool, and it always sticks me as funny that many decades ago battery powered vehicles and trains were readily achievable and worked well. Now we need these things to reduce emissions and suddenly it's new technology that takes time to and huge amounts of money to develop!

Here ends my slightly off topic rant, apologies to all, but I do love the battery powered stuff of that era
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 22 December 2019 21:27:37(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
These electric vehicles are really cool, and it always sticks me as funny that many decades ago battery powered vehicles and trains were readily achievable and worked well. Now we need these things to reduce emissions and suddenly it's new technology that takes time to and huge amounts of money to develop!

Here ends my slightly off topic rant, apologies to all, but I do love the battery powered stuff of that era

Yeah, but back then when Lead Acid cells (as in car batteries) were the only power source for such vehicles and wandering a around station platforms is not exactly long distance running, even an English milk float would not have done more than about 10-15 miles, so battery capacity was not exactly an issue, and the environment in which such vehicles were employed had maintenance staff to keep the batteries in top condition and charged up.

Today we want vehicles with 10 times (or more) the running distance between charges, no maintenance and no loss of room in the passenger compartment or load capacity as a goods vehicle. A notable part of the vehicles illustrated above is that they all have a large box with wheels on the corners to carry the batteries, and a load deck on top of that. You couldn't build a modern streamlined car on that basis.

Offline cookee_nz  
#10 Posted : 23 December 2019 09:26:59(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Some years ago I came across three similar carts in a collection I bought. They are Hornby-Dublo 076 models of the Lansing Bagnall station carts. I'd never seen them before but they are rather cute, slightly over-scale for H0 but we don't care about small details like that do we? Cool

I don't think the HD ones are at all rare, they seem quite freely available on eBay but of course better if boxed which mine are not

I rather like the fact that the casting names also include Dinky & "Meccano". I'm sure Markus understands that BigGrin

HD076-2.JPG

HD076-1.JPG

HD076-3.JPG
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz