Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Michael4  
#1 Posted : 12 December 2019 17:49:22(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Excuse my ignorance.

I am looking at an old signal that doesn't make sense to me. It is marked 446/12 and 446/13. At first glance I assumed it would be the same as 7040.

However...

Everything about it is the 'wrong way round'. What is more it appears to operate the wrong way round. By this I mean that when the signal is 'up' the power connection to track is off and when the signal is 'down' the power is on.

Have I misunderstood something??? Am I missing something?

Offline jvuye  
#2 Posted : 13 December 2019 16:26:55(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
Excuse my ignorance.

I am looking at an old signal that doesn't make sense to me. It is marked 446/12 and 446/13. At first glance I assumed it would be the same as 7040.

However...

Everything about it is the 'wrong way round'. What is more it appears to operate the wrong way round. By this I mean that when the signal is 'up' the power connection to track is off and when the signal is 'down' the power is on.

Have I misunderstood something??? Am I missing something?

Not sure what this really hides,Wink but if it has been in several hands through the years, it may have been modified.

Can you pop the lids and take a couple of pictures so we can see how it's been wired inside? ?
In any case 446/12 = 7040 and 446/13 = 7041
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline Michael4  
#3 Posted : 13 December 2019 16:54:48(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   

Not sure what this really hides,Wink but if it has been in several hands through the years, it may have been modified.

Can you pop the lids and take a couple of pictures so we can see how it's been wired inside? ?

Thanks and here goes,

(The numbers were on the mast or pole which I guess is common to both variants)

On the left with the redder windings is the curious one, on the right is an ordinary 7039 for comparison, my other 7040s are already built into the layout and I'm leaving them there!

UserPostedImageIMG_4049 by dralowid, on Flickr

UserPostedImageIMG_4048 by dralowid, on Flickr

UserPostedImageIMG_4050 by dralowid, on Flickr

A also seem to have two 7042 where one is reversed and has no red wires. Not really looked at those yet.

Offline jvuye  
#4 Posted : 13 December 2019 17:55:23(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

Thanks and here goes,

(The numbers were on the mast or pole which I guess is common to both variants)

On the left with the redder windings is the curious one, on the right is an ordinary 7039 for comparison, my other 7040s are already built into the layout and I'm leaving them there!

A also seem to have two 7042 where one is reversed and has no red wires. Not really looked at those yet.

OK, very obvious!

The left one has been modified for installation on the left side of the track, but Märklin signal follow the DB practice: the trains run on the right hand track and the signals are normally installed on the right.

Since the mechanism has been reversed , so are the contacts to the track/catenary and the aspect shown by the signal is opposite to the position of the contacts.

The signal on the right of the pics is correctly wired, so you could take it as the reference to re-create/re-wire to the original situation.

But I'm just a bit perplexed with the mechanical aspect as the base plate has been modified to have the mast installed on the left .

I would unsolder the grey wire , then remove the mast and see if you can restore the original base

Again since you have an original one, you can compare and restore to the same configuration.

Hope this helps

Offline Michael4  
#5 Posted : 13 December 2019 19:31:22(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Yes, thanks, I see what you are saying, if the mast was restored to the correct side in relation the actuator arm then the signal would read correctly. I had thought of simply turning the mast round in the existing socket but this would not solve the problem.

Curiously the baseplate shows no sign of modification. It is original. Also the cover looks unmodified so I really don't know what this was originally for.

I will dig in my box of bits for a scrap signal and hopefully create something. I have only a a very slight of grasp real life signal practice but I enjoy controlling parts of the layout with them.
Offline jvuye  
#6 Posted : 13 December 2019 20:05:17(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
The simple explanation for the base would be that it came from an advanced signal 446/1 or/2...
Whomever did this was mechanically clever but probably electrically challenged 😅😅😅
Offline Michael4  
#7 Posted : 14 December 2019 14:13:17(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
A rummage through my box of scrap bits produced a baseplate and now the signal is correct and fully functional. Many thanks for you help!

I am sure that everyone here who uses old Marklin will follow the same cardinal rule as I...'Never ever throw anything away!'

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline jvuye  
#8 Posted : 14 December 2019 14:33:47(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
A rummage through my box of scrap bits produced a baseplate and now the signal is correct and fully functional. Many thanks for you help!

I am sure that everyone here who uses old Marklin will follow the same cardinal rule as I...'Never ever throw anything away!'

Correct!
Same applies to my other (lifelong..) passion : Meccano!
Having kept old literature and manuals help too!
Isn't this hobby grand?BigGrin