Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 08 December 2019 21:18:21(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone, apologies if this has been discussed before, but I didn't find much in a forum search. I'm preparing to strip a set of rough 346 coaches for a paint project, but I'm struggling to sort an appropriate Primer to use on these before final paint coats.

Does anyone have a recommendation, hobby paint or otherwise, preferably available in the US? Tamiya is my go-to for plastic models, but with the metal element I wasn't sure what to use.

I fear of rust or similar down the road, and once I strip these cars I'd like to get them properly coated ahead of a final paint spray. (In TEE livery!)
SBB Era 2-5
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 08 December 2019 21:41:10(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Boyd may have an idea...
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Chook  
#3 Posted : 09 December 2019 04:49:22(UTC)
Chook

Australia   
It is usually a good idea to use all coatings from the one manufacturer. They guarantee that their products will work well with each other.
In the automotive trade metal repair coatings are usually remove rust, polish, don't touch with fingers, rust converter, don't touch with fingers, primer surfacer, light rub with 600-1200 grit wet and dry and finally top coats/clear over colour.

Enjoy.

Regards.........Chook.
Offline kweekalot  
#4 Posted : 09 December 2019 08:24:57(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
The master in repainting vintage (tinplate) coaches and loco's is John Hopkinson in the UK.
Maybe you can ask him what primer he uses ?

http://repaints.hopkinson.net

I'm going to repaint a pre-war loco and I try Mipa etch primer on that, because ít can be used on zinc too.
I restore`gear shift mopeds (just for hobby) and I find Mipa primers, base coats and clears coats best. Much better than Motip.
Not sure if this is also the best choice for modeltrains, probably not.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 10 December 2019 18:54:26(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks everyone, I'm continuing to research this as I can't find a clear recommendation anywhere.

I've just learned that Tamiya makes a metal primer, which is great, I'm just needing to sort how it might work with any potantial future rust blocking.

There is also Mr. Metal by Mr. Hobby, the brand which received rave reviews from my car-modeller friends.

Both the above are known commodities for plastic, but again I'm struggling to find a solid lithographed model railroad reference for them. Or even better someone with marklin experience.

If this experiment goes well, I'm going to expand to other metal marklin projects, (both litho and die cast locomotives) hence my curiosity...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#6 Posted : 12 March 2020 03:45:33(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi all, an update:

For a number of reasons I've gone with the tamiya primer, and this is currently underway. I still have my rust concerns, but everyone swears by this primer otherwise. I was considering an automotive or similar household rustproofing primer, but tit would have means just another huge spray can. Tamiya is available in a fine spray, and tamiya paints I know will bond well with the bonus of my being able to apply via airbrush.

More to follow once I get farther along and have more concrete results to report. (I'm taking images along the way)
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 12 March 2020 04:22:19(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Our Club President has used the Tamiya metal primer after firstly stripping the roofs back to bare metal. He used a Tamiya silver paint as the top coat.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#8 Posted : 12 March 2020 16:38:20(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Our Club President has used the Tamiya metal primer after firstly stripping the roofs back to bare metal. He used a Tamiya silver paint as the top coat.

That is a reassuring- thank you! I am going to do this project with the Tamiya, and a second with auto/commercial primer but then a hobby paint afterwards. It will be interesting to see how the results compare over time. (although I hope both wind up perfectly fine!)
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR