Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 16 November 2019 23:52:32(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Is there a market for non-powered locomotives in HO?

I have been aware of my limitations regarding understanding and application of electronics in a model railway environment.
And this translates to a growing inattention to running trains.
So while Maerklin continues to market their products (and I keep buying them), it so happens that they get run less and less.
I have a couple of trainsets that have not been on the tracks.
This is as much due to lack of time and energy.
So I am getting older and offically a collector, rather than an operator of model trains.

But, and this is a big BUT - I still like to own these items, and I take pleasure in the craftsmanship portrayed by these models.
Mostly Maerklin because they are a classy bit of work, but the occasional Hornby, Bachmann etc. etc.

So my question is ..... can I pay half as much for a locomotive shell with wheels (a dummy) as I do for a motorised digital unit?
Maybe the item could still have a pick-up, decoder and lights, but no power.
Would that work for Maerklin and their customers?
I am thinking mainly of era V and VI where there are attractive and variable colour schemes, and a bewildering array of loco types.
And Maerklin does the graphics and metal body shells so well.
It also allows lash-ups of multiple motive power, without the need for digital consisting.

Example 36632 at around E220, pay only E110 for a 36632NP.

Kimball Thurlow
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 17 November 2019 00:04:34(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Example:

With acknowlegment for photo to David (Bigdaddynz).
UserPostedImage

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline ShannonN  
#3 Posted : 17 November 2019 03:34:52(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Is there a market for non-powered locomotives in HO?
So my question is ..... can I pay half as much for a locomotive shell with wheels (a dummy) as I do for a motorised digital unit?

Kimball Thurlow

Hi Kimball
There may be such a market I see really cheap and nasty Chinese un powered stuff on eBay all the tine. Guess its ideal for dioramas and as static stock on larger layouts

As to price, I think 50 % is way too much 35% maybe, that is if its just a body and wheels, not a complete item sans motor.

Have to ask if all you are after is a non functional version of an existing loco, why the desire/need to have a pick-up, decoder and lights?

It defeats the purpose and probably would cost as much as full bottle item, UNLESS you have spare motors and want to power it.

Guess I'm thinking the main use for an unpowered item is more a stationary static display piece and not hooked up in a consist that needs lighting and sound?

Cheers Shanny

Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 17 November 2019 09:40:02(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: ShannonN Go to Quoted Post

Have to ask if all you are after is a non functional version of an existing loco, why the desire/need to have a pick-up, decoder and lights?

It defeats the purpose and probably would cost as much as full bottle item, UNLESS you have spare motors and want to power it.

Guess I'm thinking the main use for an unpowered item is more a stationary static display piece and not hooked up in a consist that needs lighting and sound?

Cheers Shanny

Hi Shannon,
The cost is certainly cogent, I would be happy to pay 35-50%.
And I think lighting etc is not necessary for it to sit on a shelf.

Of course it is possible that the chassis and body is more than 50% of the cost, in which case Maerklin would never sell it at 50% or below of the motorised version.

regards
Kimball
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline ShannonN  
#5 Posted : 17 November 2019 11:32:05(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Originally Posted by: ShannonN Go to Quoted Post
Cheers Shanny

Hi Shannon,
The cost is certainly cogent, I would be happy to pay 35-50%.
And I think lighting etc is not necessary for it to sit on a shelf.

Of course it is possible that the chassis and body is more than 50% of the cost, in which case Maerklin would never sell it at 50% or below of the motorised version.

regards
Kimball

Guess it all comes back to what the consumer is willing yo pay for the item, I firmly believe Maerklin and other vendors can ask the (to me) ridiculous prices for the stock cause they know their audience are cashed up drooling enthusiasts that will beg borrow or take out a mortgage just to have that item.

Train enthusiasts tend to buy on impulse and forget the consumer has the power to force lower prices,

If we all refused to pay 500 euros for a perceived 350 euro product and wrote to Maerklin detailing no more business till prices drop. 5 or 6 months of no sales would force the price down.

Shanny

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ShannonN
Offline Unholz  
#6 Posted : 17 November 2019 11:56:42(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   

It also allows lash-ups of multiple motive power, without the need for digital consisting.

Exactly. ThumpUp I certainly think that a market for dummy locos exists, namely for easy making up a double-headed train (very common especially in my country). And, as you correctly point out, it makes life easier for all those collectors who don't need or don't understand all the digital gimmicks and the CV setting ordeal.

So please count me in.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline blid  
#7 Posted : 17 November 2019 13:06:21(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
There is a market in the US. I think MTH have offered dummies in all their scales. Just to compare prices I checked a UP F-3 A. Dummy $69.95, DCC Ready $109.95, DCC/DCS Sound 269.95, 3-rail DCC/DCS Sound 289.95. Suggested sales prices back in 2013.
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by blid
Offline GlennM  
#8 Posted : 17 November 2019 14:47:51(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Kimball,

Some time ago on a different thread I made a suggestion that maybe Märklin could devise a drive module that would be interchangeable with a large number of locos, obviously due to sizes, complexity and uniqueness of some locos it would more than likely not be possible to make one unit that would fit 100% of all locos.

The idea would be the motor and the decoder (and sound) and part of the drivetrain would be on a modular assembly that would be sold separately, and which could be inserted in your loco of choice. The decoder would be programmed with the applicable information for the loco you have chosen (the new decoders from Märklin can already be changed and downloaded too). When you wanted to run a different loco the assembly would be removed the decoder reprogrammed and then inserted into the new loco.

The locos which took the assembly would then be sold without motor and decoder. You would only need to buy the number of motors for the number of trains you needed to run, and all those locos sitting in your display cases would not have expensive and largely unused motors and decoders inside. The motorless (and decoderless) units would also be cheaper to buy.

There would also be an opportunity to make different motor assemblies available to suit different pockets, so there could be a basic digital with no sound, and a sound version, but there could also be different motor choices for instance with the basic versions using the current can motors, and then maybe a mid priced option with a better motor and a top range motor that was say an updated version of either the C sine motor or the soft drive sine motor. People would then have a choice over the motor they wanted to have in their locos.

Judging by the number of locos people have stored in boxes or in display cabinets, if this idea could be made to work, I think it might be popular way of reducing the cost to the end user and also offering a wider range of choice to the end user.

Regards
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 17 November 2019 15:34:51(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Well, when Marklin produced the Big Boy as an Insider model they also produced a Delta version. I had a talk to Dieter Lorenz about this and wondered at the economics of doing this. He said that having the Delta version was about 10% of the market for it, for those collectors who never ran the loco but just had it on a 'shelf queen' display. I suspect that as time has gone on the cost difference has reduced to a point where the economics of having a Delta version has gone out the window. Even using a basic decoder like a 60760 has minimal cost difference at the point of manufacture, so I suspect that from Marklins viewpoint it isn't worth it.

I am thinking mainly of era V and VI where there are attractive and variable colour schemes, and a bewildering array of loco types.
And Maerklin does the graphics and metal body shells so well.

Example 36632 at around E220, pay only E110 for a 36632NP.

Kimball Thurlow

As others have pointed out, Marklin have produced some motorless locos as part of a double header set, notably in Swiss Re460 locos. But to produce 'shelf queen' locos as single items - I doubt there is a market to make it worth while, there will be a lot of stock left on shop shelves from having to produce a large enough batch to make the production economically worth while. It might be practical to do it in a 'kit' way where you buy a chassis and you then buy a body in the livery of your choice, but this will only be possible with a widely used and liveried loco like the Re460 or Br110 (which you reference). But again, how will this work out economically? Marklin already have problems with production targets with the current series of items in the catalogue, so I don't see any enthusiasm for this small market segment. I think they would rather put the effort into producing items that will get the next generation into model railroading.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 17 November 2019 22:36:26(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
It might be practical to do it in a 'kit' way where you buy a chassis and you then buy a body in the livery of your choice, but this will only be possible with a widely used and liveried loco like the Re460 or Br110 (which you reference). But again, how will this work out economically? Marklin already have problems with production targets with the current series of items in the catalogue, so I don't see any enthusiasm for this small market segment. I think they would rather put the effort into producing items that will get the next generation into model railroading.

Yes Alan I was thinking the same, where there is still some basic hobby activity to finish the model.

Remember the Athearn US kits which were snapped/screwed together within about 10-20 minutes.
Locos with handrails took an hour or so.

But in the end, it comes down to how much the cost to Maerklin is of:
1. a driverless chassis, bogie, and body compared to
2. a complete decoded and motored model

Kimball
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline DaleSchultz  
#11 Posted : 18 November 2019 15:37:28(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I think the existence of the market is moot. If people are going to pay the extra 50% to 70% for the motorized version, Märklin would prefer that, to selling less.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Howard1975  
#12 Posted : 25 November 2019 09:51:16(UTC)
Howard1975

United States   
Hello guys, it is an interesting and good question. But I don't believe the manufacturers will produce many dummies anymore. I live in the United States, where Athearn and some other American companies used to sell dummy locomotives, for double heading with their powered locomotives. The dummies were quite a bit cheaper to purchase, sometimes half the price. Because they did not need motor, flywheels, gears, head lights or metal wheels. The Athearn dummies often came with plastic wheels. But eventually Athearn stopped making any dummy locomotives, (except for the dummy RTR F7B, which is included in the box with the powered RTR F7A). RTR means "ready to run". Over time the market changed, and so did the ownership at Athearn. They no longer make any kits anymore, they stopped. As far as I'm aware, Athearn only makes RTR models now.

I would certainly like to see manufacturers (any of them) make dummy locomotives, for the reasons mentioned above. Whether for sitting in your display cases, or to be used on dioramas, or for double heading of trains, etc. But I don't see it happening, because the economics have changed. They don't produce models in the huge amounts, like they did in the past. Almost everything it appears is limited edition now, produced in limited quantities. Marklin (unlike the past) is no longer making locomotives in the hundreds of thousands or millions, like they did in the past. Just look at the common BR 89 (3000) steam locomotive, Marklin produced 5 million over a 50 year life span.

The same with Athearn during the 1950's thru 1990's, they produced locomotives (and freight cars) in such huge numbers, they could economically offer dummy locomotives. That is because they kept using the same plastic molds for many years. The basic Athearn locomotive changed very little, with just minor little updates, done once in a while.

I don't know what to suggest with modern Marklin locomotives, especially in the era V and VI. You could perhaps buy a damaged used locomotive, where the digital decoder is burnt up, and remove the decoder and motor, and turn it into a dummy yourself. Keep the motor (if it works) in your spare parts box, it could be used in the future.

Or buy any HO scale Marklin locomotive ever made, especially if you find it cheap enough in price. Then remove the motor and reversing unit (or digital decoder), and turn it into a dummy. For instance It could be a steam locomotive sitting inside, or next to the roundhouse. It does not need to work, it just needs to look nice enough as a display piece.

Howard
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Howard1975
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#13 Posted : 25 November 2019 12:59:17(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
in re: the "multiple lash-up" scenario: when using a dummy, does it not defeat some of the purpose by reducing the number of cars that could be pulled, or is the weight of the dummy inconsequential enough as to not be a consideration? Confused Thanks in advance for entertaining a newbie (from an old-bie) question....

Jimmy
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 25 November 2019 13:48:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Jimmy Thompson Go to Quoted Post
in re: the "multiple lash-up" scenario: when using a dummy, does it not defeat some of the purpose by reducing the number of cars that could be pulled, or is the weight of the dummy inconsequential enough as to not be a consideration? Confused Thanks in advance for entertaining a newbie (from an old-bie) question....

Jimmy

The weight of the dummy locomotive is usually about the same as that of a large wagon or coach. Assuming your layout is not marginal on pulling power due to steep inclines it will make little difference to the length of train that you can pull.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#15 Posted : 25 November 2019 14:08:16(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
ThumpUp Somehow the ol' brain just was not clicking over this morning! Thanks Ray!
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
Offline danmarklinman  
#16 Posted : 25 November 2019 14:24:56(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Good question 👍
I know Märklin have done double sets with a permanently coupled twin, such as an sncb nohab set and two SNCF bb7200 electrics which are on my near to collect list. But for me. it de-values your model collection if your loco is non powered. But i would want Marklin to do more double headed permanently coupled locos. Quite often, bombardier Traxx 186 electrics are run in multiple and would make a nice addition with a new road numbers. Maybe they just want you to buy a cs3 to run multiple.
I even thought of re buying a model just to remove the motor to make a double header or banker?
but you are perhaps a third of a way to a cs3
Dan
https://www.google.co.uk...523#imgrc=Jp_I0vmC8pfkWM
https://www.google.co.uk...mp;imgdii=eHzPaT-zTFLF9M
https://farm4.staticflic...7081885_de14bc544f_o.jpg
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline mario54i  
#17 Posted : 25 November 2019 17:19:26(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post
Quite often, bombardier Traxx 186 electrics are run in multiple and would make a nice addition with a new road numbers.

Have you ever seen Märklin releasing again a loco with a different road number ? About Traxx, Re485 BLS (36852), that run quite often in dual consist, was made for years with 05 road number, and also the Trix one had number 05. It also happened that locomotives sold stand alone were later put in a set with the same road number.

regards

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mario54i