Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2019 23:42:42(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If anybody is looking for a Pilot Coach to run with an EWI or EWII consist and a Re 4/4II (420) of the SBB, Swiss dealer StarRail is offering the 3 Rail Digital Piko BDt Pilot Coach in green with the <+> SBB CFF FFS livery as a standalone model. Normally, the model is only available as part of a set with a RBe 4/4 (540).

The cost of the model (digital AC) is CHF 199 plus shipping.

AC Digital: https://www.ricardo.ch/d...-steuerwagen-1093746382/
DC Digital: https://www.ricardo.ch/d...-steuerwagen-1093746828/

You have to be registered on Ricardo.ch to take advantage of this offer or you can try contacting Mr Pfeffer via his starrail.ch website.

The Piko EWI coaches or the Roco EWII in the matching green livery are a perfect match for this pilot coach.
http://www.railfaneurope...car/EW_II/BDt/RBe540.jpg
At 272mm per coach, the Piko EWI should work well on any Maerklin layout.

Other than the fact that I bought one of the AC version, I have no connection to this dealer.

Regards

Mike C
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#2 Posted : 22 November 2019 14:18:55(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
A lovely piece. I"m olding out for a full NPZ livery set, whether LS models or Piko delivers first. But the Swiss dealer Piko price is a bit steep for me Cursing
SBB Era 2-5
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 22 November 2019 16:54:07(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Try Huenerbein.de They have a Euro price and may offer VAT rebate, but the models still come from the Swiss distributor.

USD is at par with CHF. That makes Swiss prices much better for you than for me and I thought it was worth it, even at 33% exchange markup

Regards from Canada

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 23 November 2019 16:41:43(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
In any case, dealers offering the pilot coach on it's own are few and far between. If you have a Maerklin 34/3734, 34/37344, 37356 or similar and want a pilot coach that can run with that locomotive, this Piko model is the one to go for. My consist has the 3734/37344/37356 leading a consist of green Piko EWI, Roco EWII and the Piko BDt Pilot coach.
Such trains first appeared in the early 1980s once Re 4/4II were adapted for push-pull operation and could be found on many routes.

Prior to the conversion of EWIII (Swiss Express) and EC coaches into pilot coaches for the EWIII and EWIV fleets, the BDt and Dt were the mainstay of the Pendelzug fleet.
To supplement the number of these coaches, the SBB converted a few second class coaches into pilot coaches, using the cab section of NPZ type trainsets. Those new cab cars earned the name "Ugly Duckling"

The price of CHF 199 is not excessive, considering that the model comes equipped with digital function decoder and interior lighting from factory.

Regards

Mike C